UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Feb 2018, 9:41 pm   #1
vampyretim
Heptode

Default Tascam 38 play issues.

Hello,

I have a Tascam 38 that is giving me problems. At first it played slowly and the take up spool wasn't taking up the tape quickly enough it was also ff and rw.

I've spent all day taking apart and cleaning the D.C motors, I cleaned away lots of black crap and lubricated the bearings.
Upon putting it all back together and testing it the take up spool doesn't turn at all but the feeding spool works a lot better and seems to be running at 15 IPS. It also won't rw or ff.

Has anyone ever worked on these before? I'm getting 6 ohms across both motors and I'm getting 17.5 v dc from the motor supply so am a bit confused.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Tim.
Old 15th Feb 2018, 10:50 pm   #2
jamesperrett
Octode

Default Re: Tascam 38 play issues.

What tape are you testing it with? The initial symptoms sound like the tape had gone sticky and clogged up the guides.
Old 16th Feb 2018, 12:29 pm   #3
TIMTAPE
Octode

I second James' query. Also if the tape is sticky it can sometimes place extra drag on the capstan motor and damage it.
Old 20th Feb 2018, 12:15 am   #4
vampyretim
Heptode

The tape I've been testing it with seems to be fine and doesn't feel sticky at all. I don't understand the electronics that tell the motor when to start very well. I'm measuring D.C volts across the motor and there is a little kick at the motor when pressing play but it doesn't want to start. The motor itself feels pretty free and I don't think it's a mechanical fault in that respect.

I don't really know where to go with it.
Closed Thread