UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 4th May 2019, 6:55 pm   #1
sparkey58
Triode

Default Potentiometer repair?

I have a Pye black box amp for repair, the tone control is a 1k switched pot with a long shaft..it measures 12k the problem is the sort of fibrous material that connects the lug to the track [track is o.k at 1k and the wiper is ok...i touched it and it promptly split..question is where can i get a replacement or a repair method? thanks ,bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190504_184152.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	182466  
Old 4th May 2019, 7:10 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: potentiometer repair?

As a get-you-going kludge - assuming the control is simply wired in series with a tone-correction capacitor on the output-stage [whose insulation really needs to be checked... that burned pot looks like it's been passing some significant current] - swap the two outer-ends of the pot wiring and accept that the tone-control will then work backwards.

I did this sort of kludgery loads of times for elderly people with equally-elderly tellies whose horizontal/vertical-hold/brightness-contrast controls had suffered wear at one end of the track and who were not prepared to pay for an entire new potentiometer-block.
Old 4th May 2019, 10:30 pm   #3
cathoderay57
Nonode

Default Re: Potentiometer repair?

Hi Bob, the lowest resistance new switched pot I could find at rs components was 10k see here https://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/p/po...eters/0168392/ As a tone control I wouldn't have thought the value is too critical? You might need a shaft extender if this item isn't long enough. Cheers, Jerry
Old 4th May 2019, 11:11 pm   #4
BRASSBITS
Hexode

Bowood list a 1k dpst log pot
Old 5th May 2019, 1:35 pm   #5
sparkey58
Triode

hi thanks for replies i can find plenty of 50mm shaft length unswitched, or 25mm shaft switched...years ago you could buy a coupler for extending the shaft...i can see kits online, but not just the coupler in the UK...i also will have a go with silver conductive paint see if i can repair it..anyone been successful using this?
Old 5th May 2019, 2:48 pm   #6
cathoderay57
Nonode

Here's the coupler - nice and cheap shipped from China but should do the job! https://www.banggood.com/6mm-Shaft-C...r_warehouse=CN cheers, Jerry
Old 5th May 2019, 3:59 pm   #7
winston_1
Hexode

Most pots on British equipment have 1/4" shafts not 6mm, but I guess you could drill that coupler out.
Old 5th May 2019, 4:14 pm   #8
sparkey58
Triode

thanks for the tip gerry...ordered a few, bob
Old 6th May 2019, 1:55 pm   #9
John10b
Nonode

I’m Lucky to have a friend who can turn out almost anything small, he made a few couplers for me so I could connect two TripleTone Amplifiers together to use in a stereo setup.
Cheers
John
Old 6th May 2019, 8:11 pm   #10
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, there seems to be a lot of problems with the pots used in black boxes, both types these days.
The EL42 types can be up to 10K, but you need to shunt the pot with a suitable resistor to bring it back down near 1k.

The PCL83 types have a complex feedback circuit and the pots often develop spots where the amp starts to oscillate. These can be expensive to source and not easily found.

Ed
Old 7th May 2019, 10:08 am   #11
sparkey58
Triode

taking the pot apart.. the track is still 1k its the connection from end of track to the lug thats gone high [5k] going to try conductive paint over it...but new pot on order just in case!
Closed Thread