UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jan 2020, 9:04 pm   #41
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Scrapyards to visit?

There's a difference between reclamation yard and scrap yard though. The former is specifically set up to sell on reclaimed items.
Old 27th Jan 2020, 12:13 pm   #42
slidertogrid
Octode

Years back Peterborough had a fair few scrapyards most dealing mainly with cars. They would let you roam around, climb up a stack of cars. The main danger was getting too close to the dogs! One yard had a savage Alsatian on a chain which prevented him getting to you if you stayed on the path. He amused himself by repeatedly throwing a metal hubcap in the air and catching it!

There was a small place in Eye village in a farmyard owned by a distant relative 'Uncle Horace'. He took in washing machines TV sets and the like.
During the 1970s power cuts we were equipped with a bank of car batteries and couple of spot lamps. Dad had bought a small Black and white Teleton portable from a local department store for our holiday caravan so we also had TV during the cuts. We soon had lots of visitors!

Over the years the yards have all closed bar one and they won't allow customers past the gate. Land price seems to be the main reason that they have gone. My late Uncles yard is now a small housing estate.
There is a metal yard where you weigh in scrap that is more amenable. I have bought some useful metal shelving, cable and some electrical fittings from there. The main challenge is getting to the stuff before it is crushed.
Times are changing fast long gone are the times when you could get a Hillman Dynamo, a TV24 chassis and an Ekco A23 for under 30 bob!

Rich.
Old 27th Jan 2020, 2:39 pm   #43
ionburn
Heptode

I remember going around a yard in Nottingham in the late seventies. All manner of interesting bits, seemingly mainly industrial with some microwave / radar dishes. I went with someone local but don't remember what it was called now.
Old 27th Jan 2020, 2:57 pm   #44
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Would that have been Anchor Supplies (by the cattle-market) perhaps? Alas it burned down a few years ago!

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/...troyed-2184316
Old 27th Jan 2020, 4:39 pm   #45
donutty
Pentode

Not a scrap yard per-se but could have been easily mistaken for one in a passing glance, is Johnsons of Leeds (military surplus).

It must have been 10 years or so since I last visited but they had no issue with me climbing up on the tops of stillages to access the jumbled interiors.

I have had [redacted: stuff too potentially sensitive to mention these days], computers, [redacted], er.. what can I mention??

Also they had stillages full of circuit boards that I could take to extract the (collectable) chips off and bring them back sans-chip for a small fee.

The last time I visited the whole back / side area which was basically a free-for-all of computers, test equipment, cable, components etc had been cleared and turned into an airsoft (BB gun) battle area

In the same building ('Vulcan Foundry') was M&B Radio who had large stocks of test gear (I remember the back wall was full of Mullard HSVTs), components, PCBs, tapes, records (they used to clear BBC sites)... you name it, they had it.

Don't know what has happened to their physical presence there but I think they had moved out of the Stourton site when I visited last but still seem to have an eBay store.
Old 27th Jan 2020, 8:58 pm   #46
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

M&B Radio - there's a name from the past! I bought various bits of surplus-stuff from them in the 70s.

Does anyone know what happened to another of my favourites - A.H. Supplies in Sheffield? I bought a few modules for my Racal RA217 from them in the early-80s.

Another of my go-to places was "Stweart of Reading" - loads of test-gear !! Seems they're still trading.... http://www.stewart-of-reading.co.uk/

And Telford Electronics often had 'unidentified' lots of Racal/Eddystone modules/boards - if you knew what to look for. They're still around: http://www.telford-electronics.co.uk/
Old 27th Jan 2020, 8:58 pm   #47
Radio Wrangler

Anchor have their other site in Ripley. Is that still on the go?

David
Old 27th Jan 2020, 9:00 pm   #48
Radio Wrangler

I used to travel between Huddersfield and Leeds on the train. Every trip saw me in M&B's

David
Old 27th Jan 2020, 9:11 pm   #49
evingar
Octode

Default Re: Scrapyards to visit

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
Tightening-up of scrap-metal regulations, WEEE, H&S, and public-liability insurance-costs have all-but finished-off the days of scrapyards where you could wander around trying to find 'stuff' while also trying to avoid the attentions of the mangy-but-militant Alsatians such places always had.

The last such places I remember were Passeys in Benson (closed 20+ years ago, site now a housing development) and Haynes at Challow.

Both these occasionally had electronics/lab-equipment-type scrap (stainless-steel sinks, fume-cupboards, vacuum-glassware) because they were relatively close to Rutherford Appleton Labs, Harwell, and JET at Culham.

Haynes still exists - I went there a while back for some "architectural salvage" roof-slates and bricks. Also paid 50p for a porcelain 'egg' insulator that was attached to one of the salvage-windowframes! Don't know if they still do 'scrap' in the wider sense though.
Passeys had a place in Newbury (Turnpike Road). I assume there was a connection with the Benson lot. Used to have a good view of it from the Quantel R&D block - grabbers moving cars about etc in late 90s, early 2000's. I think it has gone now. Glad to hear that Haynes is still going at Challow. I remember many, many years ago going there with a friend and his dad and climbing about on the piles of stuff trying to find whatever it was he was looking for. I can't imagine that is allowed these days.
Old 27th Jan 2020, 10:17 pm   #50
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Anchor have their other site in Ripley. Is that still on the go?
Would seem so https://www.anchorsupplies.com/igall...ory/view/id/5/

MoD-Sales/Witham SV in Lincolnshire is still going too. http://www.mod-sales.com/ - they've in the past done a lot of auction-disposals of ex-MoD stuff [pallets-full of Clansman PRC320/VRC321/323 radios/accessories, usually sold-by-weight!]
Old 3rd Feb 2020, 2:49 pm   #51
ionburn
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
Would that have been Anchor Supplies (by the cattle-market) perhaps? Alas it burned down a few years ago!

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/...troyed-2184316
The article states that they were founded in 1985 and I have checked and determined that I was at college in the Nottingham area 1984/5 so that is possible.
Old 3rd Feb 2020, 5:30 pm   #52
Syrinx1
Pentode

Anchor is open again at the cattle market, but no longer has stocks of electronics surplus. The Ripley branch just has tools, clothing and camping equipment.
Closed Thread