UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd May 2008, 1:01 pm   #1
samthelemming
Retired Dormant Member

Default AC/ DC convertor, Croydon precision instruments

I bought this recently and couldn't wait for it to arrive.
Now its here and the first hour "glow" of getting a parcel has worn off (not completely, with something like this the glow is always there :P) I wondered how it is used. I have taken lots of pictures.

Has anyone any information on it?

I'm also at a loss to what a "vacuo junction" is , in the pictures it looks like there is a valve holder, but the valve was replaced with something that looks like a acorn valve.

Any comments welcome

(I have more pics if needed for any reason)

(I know I said exam revision from now on, but this is just something to do in between studying )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Acorn.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	16884   Click image for larger version

Name:	on top, inside view.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	16886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Range switch.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	16887   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shunt.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	16888   Click image for larger version

Name:	front view, on side.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	16889  

Last edited by Darren-UK; 2nd May 2008 at 2:30 pm.
Old 2nd May 2008, 1:28 pm   #2
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: AC/ DC convertor, croydon precision instruments

Looks like a thermocouple used to standardise AC voltages (perhaps currents) against a DC standard. The idea is that you pass the unknown AC through the thermocouple's heater. Then you pass a known and adjustable DC through it until it gets to the same temperature. The DC power and RMS AC power are then identical. Subject to errors caused by inductance and capacitance.

The acorn valve is the thermocouple.
Old 5th May 2008, 4:42 pm   #3
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Sam, I would agerr with Penguin. It would have been used in a standards lab where instrumnets were calibrated using DC against a Weston standard cell. This was the "transfer standard" that allowed AC instruments to also be checked. Well before the days of 12 digit DVM's etc. We had one in the old standards lab at Reyrolle.

Ed
Old 10th May 2008, 6:28 pm   #4
samthelemming
Retired Dormant Member

All very interesting stuff, especially for 99p (I love a bargain )

What use could I put it to, or would it be better to look at? (I like having things that do something practical, however old, bit like giving life to something unloved)

Thanks
Sam
Old 11th May 2008, 10:38 am   #5
coil1234
Pentode

Hello Sam,
Be VERY carful when applying an input voltage or current to this, the thermocouple junction is easy to burn out and is NOT repairable.

So don't apply any greater voltage (dc or ac) than the range switches are set to, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if the T/C junction is already damaged ! Hopefully it won't be.

As previous posters have stated these were used in electrical standards labs for ac measurements using ac/dc transfer methods before the days of accurate ac digital multimeters, however for the type of measurements we are likely to make a dmm will be adequate.

One advantage of your converter is that it will measure the True RMS value of the ac waveform of whatever shape.

Probably best to not use it and just admire the quality of workmanship

Regards Mike A
Old 5th Jun 2008, 9:56 pm   #6
coil1234
Pentode

Found an old Cropico Catalogue at work which gives the specifications for this instrument.

Regards Mike A
Attached Files
File Type: pdf cropico.pdf (532.7 KB, 813 views)
Closed Thread