UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Aug 2018, 8:53 am   #21
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default Re: re Radiomuseum downloads

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsergeant View Post
I find it a little confusing. When on a model page there is nothing to tell you to register to download the schematic, and if you right click on a schematic (always displayed as default in the thumbnail side) all you get is an option to download the thumbnail extract - 'how do I get the full thing' I scream. It is not until you click on it so it goes to the main screen then click on it again that you get the message about only available to members and even that doesn't tell you about the 3 downloads a day, it is enough that most people like me just give up and go away.
When you view the schematic thumbnails on the right of the screen select the one you want by normal left click, and a portion appears in the main viewing window, normal click on that, and you get this page. For the avoidance of doubt you should normally "left click" to use the functionality of the website, "right click" gives you options available from your browser, which may be limited by the website programming.
Click image for larger version

Name:	download page.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	167524
It is a different matter if you do the same on a photo. Non members do not get the option (currently) to view or download the full size image that members have uploaded, you will receive this page.
Click image for larger version

Name:	picture.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	167525
I am sure it wont take you long to work out, and like all websites it becomes more familiar the more you use it.

Radio Museum (Rmorg) have not always been so generous with the contributors hard work, and schematics were not available to "non contributors" (members) until a short while ago. I believe it has cost Rmorg in terms of money to keep the site running and members joining since the introduction of free schematics to non contributors.

Mike

Last edited by crackle; 14th Aug 2018 at 9:21 am.
Old 14th Aug 2018, 12:05 pm   #22
Andrewausfa
Octode

I think RM is a tremendous resource but since becoming a member (paying for it) a couple of years ago I rarely use it as a member. The main reason is due to once being logged in, every time you view something, just view a bigger version on screen not a download, it knocks points off of ones accumulation. Like a fool I didn't spot this when I joined and I of course viewed a lot of photos of things and then got an email saying my account was near deficit. Hang on..I just paid!

So I now have to remember never to log in when on RM. Which, for a paid member, is bonkers.

Andrew
Old 14th Aug 2018, 12:45 pm   #23
Station X

That's exactly my gripe. Same thing happened to me when I paid the sub before the days of free downloads.

I managed to redeem myself by uploading data for two new models. However I have nothing else unique which I can upload, which means if I encounter the same problem in the future I'll be stuffed. Unless I upload yet another DAC90A picture?

However there are sites which require you to jump through far more hoops than RM when it comes to downloading stuff.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 14th Aug 2018, 12:52 pm   #24
crackle
Rest in Peace

I didnt realise that was the case, once you paid you still ran out of credits. I will bring it to the attention of Ernest Erb and see what he says.

Mike
Old 14th Aug 2018, 12:58 pm   #25
stitch1
Heptode

I also paid for membership sometime ago before downloads were free. I could have added a couple of models but being a little over enthusiastic and keen to help I shared a circuit on here. I then got a letter from Ernest accusing me of all sorts and banning me for life despite my explanations.

I also felt uneasy at the level of detail which my activity was being tracked.

Ironic that's its now free to get downloads and and its the first place I go when I'm too lazy to reach for Radio! Radio!

John
Old 14th Aug 2018, 1:09 pm   #26
Station X

This is the "slightly redacted" email I received.

Quote:
Dear Graham,

Your UACS ratio 941 has exceeded the
threshold of 900. Therefore your access to large
images (pop-ups) and schematics will be disabled in
1 day. They will automatically
become available again once you have made some
contributions to Radiomuseum.org such as uploading
pictures to models or enhancing models, etc.

Please look up this text about UACS.
http://www.radiomuseum.org/forum/uac...t_version.html

There are many different activities you can do to
contribute to the Radiomusem and only a
small contribution is needed.

Your RMorg Server
[superadmin/user_activity_clearing_mail TA2]

Old 14th Aug 2018, 1:52 pm   #27
Andrewausfa
Octode

Mike,

There's a message in one of the FAQ sections about it on there somewhere. Something about RMs system not differentiating between members viewing and downloading i.e. when clicking on a photo/circuit to see a bigger version than the thumbnail, the same as we do on forum posts here, you get points taken.

Due to belatedly finding that out via the warning email and being a bit piddled with the site after paying $25 I intentionally haven't logged in to RM for months until today. Even though the site wants to keep you logged in at all times, I'm just not that enthusiastic to for these reasons.

Andrew
Old 14th Aug 2018, 2:35 pm   #28
Hartley118
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewausfa View Post
I think RM is a tremendous resource but since becoming a member (paying for it) a couple of years ago I rarely use it as a member. The main reason is due to once being logged in, every time you view something, just view a bigger version on screen not a download, it knocks points off of ones accumulation. Like a fool I didn't spot this when I joined and I of course viewed a lot of photos of things and then got an email saying my account was near deficit. Hang on..I just paid!

So I now have to remember never to log in when on RM. Which, for a paid member, is bonkers.
This seems a paradox because the site recommends that we remain logged in continuously rather than logging in each time. Maybe it's connected with a problem I found when I received the complaint that I had two identities. How did that happen? It puzzled me until I found that a new identity was created when I logged in using Chrome instead of Firefox! It's an odd quirk indicative of the idiosyncratic character of Radiomuseum.

I suspect that there are a number of culture and language differences that contribute to a perception of unfriendliness as viewed from the UK. It's not surprising that, having once been abruptly criticised for breaking unknown rules, I do sometimes feel I'm treading on eggshells when using or uploading to the site! For example, I've never dared contribute a schematic diagram because any that I happen to have are typically of unknown origin, and the site's draconian attitude to copyright is downright scary. I don't want to find myself banned for life.

Language problems are illustrated by the fact that it's taken me a while to work out the fact that a description of a superhet radio as 'Super in General' doesn't mean that it's a generally magnificent radio, but only that it lacks an RF stage. Mike mentioned the frustration that users don't correct errors, but I've never worked out just how to do that.

Irrespective of these user difficulties, the fact remains that Ernst and his noble volunteer associates have assembled a truly remarkable database of information relating to our hobby. It's clearly a lifetime's achievement. Maybe the growth to today's sheer scale has overwhelmed the original website structure, leading to that (still highly cringeworthy!) barbed wire analogy. It would be great, for instance, if RM could gain a DNA transplant from this UKVRRR friendly and highly usable site!

I don't for a moment underestimate the huge cost of updating and maintaining such a massive website, but maybe this kind of constructive dialogue with users can be the start of a new era for Radiomuseum.

Martin
Old 14th Aug 2018, 3:20 pm   #29
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

Nothing to add but my agreement with Martin on all points. I checked yesterday and there are still photographs of a "Cream Bush DAC90a" which are clearly a DAC90 but I'm not prepared to get into the arguments and proof that would be needed to get them corrected.

RMOrg pages seem very wordy making it hard to see the wood for the trees and for all that you can't call the English used "Wrong" some of it is certainly unusual.

I appreciate the efforts of all involved but feel it is better for we who don't use the site, or only very little, to tell the organisers why; if they aren't aware of how we feel there's no hope of improvement.

I suppose that something of that complexity, not least the fact it's multi-lingual, is always going to be a resource for Serious use and therefore comparatively difficult. Those of us who are more casual are not going to put the effort in.

I think the best conclusion I can make is that it's a worthy endeavour but not for me.
Old 14th Aug 2018, 3:56 pm   #30
bluepilot
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley118 View Post
I've never dared contribute a schematic diagram because any that I happen to have are typically of unknown origin, and the site's draconian attitude to copyright is downright scary.
Curiously, there was a case a few years ago when a German seller of old radios on Ebay discovered that his images were appearing on Radio Museum. He asked them to remove his copyrighted material and got an answer on the lines of "We'll steal your images if we want. Haven't you got anything more important to worry about?". After that all his images had "copyright" written across the middle. Hmm.

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs
Old 14th Aug 2018, 4:24 pm   #31
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I've always found the RM to be a useful resource from time to time [even before free downloads] but it's complexity would have put me off joining, without the subscription issue now apparently identified. I was on another site recently, researching a TV brand and it was similar in that I was struggling particularly with its structure and myriad 'refine your search options'. Like the Operating Manuals [remember those] that were issued with Hardware [eg DVD Recorders etc] sites can be put together by high competent people who assume the same ability in others when we are really "bears of little brain". Whilst aware of the dangers, I look forward to universal voice operated computers and search facilities etc just so I can say " What do you mean you can't find it HAL ? "

Dave W

"Inside the Museum Infinity goes up on trial" Visions of Joanna Dylan 1966
Old 14th Aug 2018, 5:00 pm   #32
Station X

I'll just say that, despite the problems I had, I regard RM as a valuable resource.

I wonder if the OP's question has been answered?

Old 14th Aug 2018, 7:39 pm   #33
Cobaltblue

IMHO if you don't like RM don't use it simples.

Try publishing Pauls data see how you get on!

Paul had to scan and edit thousands of sheets so have the contributers on RM

If you buy Pauls disk you still have no right to publish its the same with RM.

Why would anyone think that would not be the case to supply a freeloader with his info?

I paid nothing for my RM membership, I contributed.

if you paid a fee see this https://www.radiomuseum.org/forum/ua...t_version.html

Maybe if there were no pay option only contribution there would be more respect for the ideals of RM.

I know that this may be an unpopular thought but think about it all the same.

As for the poor search function compare it to The RS website and tell me it's any worse.

Yes RM does need improvements do it from the inside.

If you are a serious collector do it from the inside of RM

Just my opinion

Cheers

Mike T
Old 14th Aug 2018, 7:42 pm   #34
crackle
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePillenwerfer View Post
I checked yesterday and there are still photographs of a "Cream Bush DAC90a" which are clearly a DAC90 but I'm not prepared to get into the arguments and proof that would be needed to get them corrected.
Thanks for taking the time to let me know about this error. Not being an expert on this radio model I assume the DAC90 is the one with the octal valves. So I have just moved 10 photos (2 examples with octal valves) from the DAC90A to the DAC90 page https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/bush_dac90_dac_90.html.

If more people were as helpful and as diligent as this the Radio Museum could almost be complete and up to date by now.

It is a pity that nobody seems to have uploaded any photos showing the wavechange knob so we can see its different location compared to the DAC90A.

Mike
Old 14th Aug 2018, 7:45 pm   #35
reelguy
Heptode

Strewth !
I have made a note of everyone's comments and suggestions re my request for help and advice on downloads from Radiomuseum. I'm pleased I am not the only one to have problems with it.
I wil try again as soon as I get time and report back .
Thanks again for your help.
Peter W …..reelguy { Getting older and dimmer ! }
Old 14th Aug 2018, 7:53 pm   #36
Cobaltblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelguy View Post
I have made a note of everyone's comments and suggestions re my request for help and advice on downloads from Radiomuseum. I'm pleased I am not the only one to have problems with it.
Join, From your forum posts you have a lot to contribute.

Yes its not always easy but is anything worthwhile so easy?

It depends if you want to be a net contributor or a net receiver.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 14th Aug 2018, 8:01 pm   #37
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post
...Why would anyone think that would not be the case to supply a freeloader with his info?
I wonder if people might be thinking of resources like hifi engine or the national valve museum or pete millett's valve books or keith snook's quad stuff or any of the thousand (million ? billion ?)-and-one other free information websites put up by enthusiasts ? HiFi Engine does ask you to register, but that's all. Because they have a squillion users they end up with pretty much all the information they need.

I'd occasionally like to access a circuit from the Radio Museum. But the entry barrier is so high that I suspect I never will. Just to be clear, I'm not really angry about that. The world's direction of travel is for non-commercial information to become more and more free and that genie is well and truly out of the bottle. It's just a matter of time ...

Cheers,

GJ
Old 14th Aug 2018, 8:07 pm   #38
Cobaltblue

Try it with Pauls info

See how far you get! read the rules!

Cheers

Mike T
Old 14th Aug 2018, 8:29 pm   #39
Hartley118
Nonode

Totally understand - websites are very costly to run, and it's incredible that RM survives and grows without visible means of support from its users. I don't believe any of us intended to cause defensive barriers to be raised, only to suggest improvements to a rather remarkable site

But I think that the process of how to actually correct errors and hence implement continual improvement to the RM site is currently rather difficult for simple folk to comprehend.

Martin
Old 14th Aug 2018, 8:42 pm   #40
Philips210
Nonode

Hi.

I considered joining RM many years ago but remember being put off by the obligation of having to regularly contribute. It's not that I object to that per se rather it's a case of not necessarily having anything new to contribute.

I wonder why the rules are overly strict, after all we're in this as a hobby so it's non commercial in my view. I'm inclined to agree with GrimJosef in that the more people that are encouraged to join without OTT restrictions then I think it would amount to a greater resource.
I do agree though with strict copyright on the data of Paul's DVD ROM as this is commercial.

Regards
Symon
Closed Thread