UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 17th May 2012, 1:22 pm   #1
Michael Maurice

Default Sony TCKB920S

About a week ago, I got a phone call from a man in Switzerland, he had the above cassette deck and couldn't get it repaired by Sony in Switzerland but was coming to the UK and could I do it.

He told me that a gear on the reel motor had gone but these were no longer available.

Someone didn't look far, I found 4 on Ebay.de and one in Italy.

The gentleman concerned was staying in Surrey but going to Coventry last Sunday and asI was going to be at the NVCF,that would be the place to meet.

Next day I stripped the deck out to find it swimming in oil, not WD40, more like 3 in 1.

Maybe Sony in Switzerland took one look at it and decided to quote for a part that was NLA, hoping he'd go away, which of course he did, - to me!

Apparently there was a squeaking noise which he felt he could sort out by a drop of oil.

He didn't tell me that!

Attempts to remove the oil with normal products failed. There was only one thing to do, strip the deck right down to the bare chassis.

This entailed removing the cassette holder, head block, motor block, stripping motors off motor block, control cam and other plastic parts and the flyweel, and with the exception of the motors washing them in a powerful engine degreaser, rinsing off in hot water and drying them in the over before reassembling.

The motors were also cleaned but not rinsed off, they were cleaned with paper towel.

The whole thing was then reassembled with new belts and a pinch roller.

After this it worked first time.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 17th May 2012, 10:18 pm   #2
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Re: Sony TCKB920S

I had one of those a few years ago.
It had a borrowed tape stuck in it. Due to what was on the tape he was too embarrassed to take it to a shop for them to get the tape out!
I was presented with a Hitachi VHS filled with a mixture of water and WD-40.
I copied the two halves of the snapped tape onto another and swapped the hubs into the old tape shell.
The VCR was a write-off with water damage all in the receiver and processor via the aerial lead and WD-40 all in the deck and rubbers. there was a tiny turret switch that was well rotted that sensed the loading so that it would just about play a tape if the loading was pushed by hand.
Scrap!!!
Closed Thread