UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 15th May 2012, 12:05 pm   #1
PJC58-Hythe
Heptode

Default Philips Philetta - B2D03A

I saw this little set at the NVCF and just had to have it! This has to be one of the most difficults sets to work on due to it's compact nature. The set is only 11"W x 7"H x 7"D but covers LW, MW SW and VHF and has input for an external audio source, so I was hoping that I didn't need to do too much work as it is incredibly difficult to get to any of the components!

On initial checking the the flat selenium rectifier was not working and the smoothing capacitor was very 'leaky', the mains transformer seemed to be OK fortunately. Becuase of the space restraints in this set I decided to strip out the innards from the smoothing capacitor and inserted 2 x 47uF 400V devices inside the original can (an excellent fit allowing just enough room for the wires), I then connected them to the existing tags and put the bottom back on. I stripped out the disks from inside the recifier casing and put 4 x 1N4007 diodes inside and put the case back on. The switches were given a good dose of switch cleaner and the hardened grease removed from the VHF tuning capacitor bearing.

Carefully powing it up I measured the voltages and all seemed well, stations were coming in on all bands except LW. This turned out to be a broken connection from the LW coil on the ferrite rod antenna. That was all I needed to do to get it working, as the chassis and case were extremely clean there was no need to clean these.

What a simple resoration!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Philetta Front.jpg
Views:	634
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	66638   Click image for larger version

Name:	Philetta Back.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	66639  

http://www.retroworkshop.co.uk
Old 15th May 2012, 12:20 pm   #2
SeanStevens
Octode

Default Re: Philips Philetta - B2D03A

What a gorgeous radio and it does all waves.

I must get one, well done.

SEAN
Old 15th May 2012, 12:29 pm   #3
JoshWard
Octode

That is beautiful

Well done
Old 15th May 2012, 4:57 pm   #4
telstar
Octode

Hi Josh. I have one of these great looking Philips radios. You are right though, they are difficult radios to work on.
Cheers
Mike
Old 15th May 2012, 4:59 pm   #5
telstar
Octode

Hi. Sorry I meant PJC58-Hythe.
Cheers
Mike
Old 15th May 2012, 5:14 pm   #6
Steve_P
Dekatron

Why did they bother inventing Transistors?

Seriously though, that is one lovely set. Well done!

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 15th May 2012, 5:54 pm   #7
bobbyball
Octode

Excellent set and effort!

I have several of these sets in the "roundtuit" pile awaiting attention... !

Robert
Old 15th May 2012, 6:48 pm   #8
PJC58-Hythe
Heptode

Thanks for all the comments..

The sound quality on this little set puts some of my big 'woodies' to shame, it is truly excellent.

Robert - good luck working on the ones you have! Nothing much phases me with regard to restoration but getting to anything that needs replacing on these sets is a real challenge, especially if it's under chassis and burried deep...

Peter

http://www.retroworkshop.co.uk
Old 15th May 2012, 8:55 pm   #9
bobbyball
Octode

Cheers Peter!

I remember buying one of these (in brown) at the local "junk market" when I was a student in Preston in the 1980's It looked wonderful lit up although I never did cure the distortion on the output (presumably "that" capacitor and others) as much to my horror I managed to knock it off the mantlepiece in my room. Then it was only good for spares. Have a few more now to get going so as the lighter nights set in, who knows!!

Well done again anyway...

Robert
Old 17th May 2012, 9:45 am   #10
Andrew2
Nonode

This model always gives me a nice cosy feeling with its warm, golden glow. A styling masterpiece. Well done on preserving such a wonderful set.