UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Mar 2019, 12:24 pm   #1
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

Default TVVC VR800 VCR. Any info?

Hi

I purchased this machine as it was cheap and different to all the stuff I have already. Haven't heard of the make before. But after cleaning and fitting 7 new belts, it's working a treat.

Has anyone heard of this brand? Cant find any info online at all. Looking for a remote if possible.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190318-192630_Video Player.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	180177  
Old 19th Mar 2019, 12:43 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: TVVC VR800 VCR. Any info?

Could be Amstrad in disguise.
Old 19th Mar 2019, 2:21 pm   #3
electronicskip
Nonode

Was thinking the same myself so could be Funai/Amstrad chassis.
Old 19th Mar 2019, 2:28 pm   #4
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Yes indeed,that is the one.I remember all those belts!Not sure if model is 4600??
Old 19th Mar 2019, 7:47 pm   #5
Red to black
Nonode

It is an Amstrad VCR6000 or 6100, this was more modern than the Amstrad VCR 4600, Hinari VXL5 and 6.

There were similar clones of the machine pictured such as the Hinari VXL8 etc. the deck was made by Funai I think, there were slight physical mechanical differences to the basic deck between the clones, but the basic deck mechanics and moving parts were the same, the electronics between the clones could be very different however.
This was one of the earlier machines that had slightly undersize heads so they could use LP with only two heads.
Old 21st Mar 2019, 2:19 pm   #6
Maarten
Dekatron

If before 1992, the deck was probably made by Shintom for Funai, and the machines themselves produced by Funai. n the other hand, Shintom might have made machines directly for some brands, bypassing Funai. This could be a possible explanation for the difference in electronics. Being from different manufacturers would then possibly justify the use of the word clone, but on the other hand, if the electronics are vastly different are they really clones?

I should really look into the orgins of Funai and Funai-like machines. Cheep and cheerful consumer electronics can be quite facsinating sometimes.

Last edited by Maarten; 21st Mar 2019 at 2:28 pm.
Old 21st Mar 2019, 6:31 pm   #7
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

A similar machine appeared under the Proline label. I assume a large retailer or rental chain could commission a slightly different machine with the features they required and the fascia they wanted. A similar approach is used by Vestel today.
Many years ago I was told by Hitachi's TLO that they could tell Vestel their specification for a TV and the prototype was available for approval by the end of the week. Nowadays it's software that's different. Oddly, Hitachi software in a Vestel TV is pretty reliable, Bush and so on not too bad and Toshiba terrible. Yet they are all doing prety much the same thing and I assume are programmed in-house.
Funai's later products are strange - good quality boards and in the main pretty well specified components - capacitor replacement in a Funai VCR/PVR is a rare occurrence. But the most likely part to need attention - the VHS deck - is hard-wired to the PCB with
flat ribbon cables that aren't meant to be soldered making servicing a nightmare. Three plugs and sockets and the Toshiba series of machines would have been welcome in our workshops.
Old 21st Mar 2019, 9:56 pm   #8
jayceebee
Heptode

I've come across a few of these in the past, as has been mentioned the deck was similar to the Amstrad 6000 but the electronics came from whoever made Hinari. TVVC was retailed through Rumbelows if I remember correctly.

John.
Old 21st Mar 2019, 11:46 pm   #9
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

I've since done some more maintenance on the machine, regreased the moving parts. Whoever designed the deck sure loved belts and springs! Never seen so many on one deck. Its had a head clean now and performing well for what it is.
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 7:30 am   #10
toshiba tony
Heptode

I'm certain you are all right right. This model differed only in having index search, the tape had to make contact with the control head during ff\rew.
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 2:19 pm   #11
ben
Dekatron

Definitely a Funai. I have had these rebadged as Roadstar, Shinko, Zanela, maybe more. Several Aiwa used that mech too including at least one TV/VCR combo.

Quite reliable mech once the belt and mode switch have been changed or cleaned. One sure sign of a bad mode switch was jamming in unlace or rewind search.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roadstar funai.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	180328   Click image for larger version

Name:	shinko vhs.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	180329   Click image for larger version

Name:	aiwa dk925 funai.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	180335   Click image for larger version

Name:	aiwa funai.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	180336  

Last edited by ben; 22nd Mar 2019 at 2:37 pm.
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 7:10 pm   #12
Maarten
Dekatron

I think these decks have the dumper rubber going bad, I'm not sure of the symptoms, maybe some sort of jamming as well.
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 8:01 pm   #13
Mooly
Octode

I've a vague recollection of us selling those by the barrowload at Thorn (Focus TV, RR and all). There might have been a 700 as well, perhaps not having long play. The model number certainly sounds familiar though.

(One model we did had one of those remotes that could swipe bar codes from a card in order to set the timer... was it one of these? Can't remember now)
Old 23rd Mar 2019, 11:34 am   #14
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I still have an Amstrad remote with the big clock on it - anyone want it?
The early 4500 series' main fault was the clutch spring that gave the tape too much torque in play - there were kits to repair this, though you could shorten the spring if money was tight. You did need to replace the pinchroller as well.
The 6000 series got round that design, and most faults were either the belts getting tangled after one fell off or the little damper rubber Maarten mentions. We changed loads of those, though if the drawer was empty a bit of sleeving from 5A mains cable could be pressed into service. Not by me, you understand...
Old 23rd Mar 2019, 1:02 pm   #15
Maarten
Dekatron

I've seen the little protruding part on which the dumper rubber was sitting, being bent slightly as a quick fix. Also, not by me of course...

Chinese made Funai models did bend all by themselves though, or maybe if you looked at them wrong.
Closed Thread