UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Feb 2015, 3:42 pm   #1
robin0577
Pentode

Default Recommend a multi-standard PC video capture device?

Feel free to move this if it's in the wrong place, I know this section is primarily about converting TO vintage standards rather than from.

I have a 1980's French SECAM VHS player and a number of tapes that I want to transfer to hard disk before the machine becomes impossible to maintain due to lack of spares. Could anyone suggest a suitable PC based video capture card or external box for the job, ideally based on personal experience?

E2A: for use with a Windows 7 based desktop PC, PCIe or USB2 are the available connection methods. Or I could install a firewire card if need be.

Thanks

Last edited by robin0577; 22nd Feb 2015 at 3:44 pm. Reason: addition
Old 25th Feb 2015, 12:03 pm   #2
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Default Re: Recommend a multi-standard PC video capture device?

A convenient solution is one of those USB break out boxes. The Honestech VHS to DVD is available from Maplins at sub £50 prices and will deal with all standards. The software supplied at this price level is a little clunky and its probably best you preview your material with a line out monitor from the VHS rather than doing it through software.

For a more traditional route then a PCI card is the alternative. I have found cards made by 'Aver' and 'Hauppage' to be good old sloggers who's drivers get supported years later. Older ones can now come up cheaply on Ebay.

I have only used these with PAL though. Although I am pretty sure they support all three standards? for a Secam certainty then a card by the Canadian Co 'Matrox' is probably the answer as it's another good card. although they lean towards the professional side and therefore can be rare and expensive.

You will need half decent capture software with these cards, 'Videostudio' will do the job nicely and once again Ebay often has cheap older versions.
Old 29th Apr 2015, 2:12 pm   #3
PsychMan
Octode

I went through 2 such USB boxes and didn't rate them, Honestech and another brand. I found the results jittery and when the video they were capturing (hi8 tapes) experienced some wobbly bars and jittery playback, rather than record what was their, they lost sync and just missed the content entirely which for me was unacceptable.

I returned them and dusted off my old Hauppage analogue TV PCI card. After getting the latest software I achieved excellent results and actually kept the PC as it was, just in case I need to do the same again one day
Old 3rd May 2015, 7:29 am   #4
terrybull
Octode

This is not my sphere so may be totally off track but the best way I found to transfer VHS to digital is to use a domestic type stand alone DVD recorder. Then the finalised DVD can be converted edited etc using any number of suitable software. Not sure about the standards though.
Old 3rd May 2015, 9:03 am   #5
nutteronthebus
Hexode

Hi I have a Samsung MM201PCTV pci card that you can have for the cost of postage ( drivers may be hard to find for windows 7) it did work on 2000 and drivers are out there for XP

Dave