UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Jan 2014, 12:17 am   #1
jooles405
Triode

Default Toshiba Satellite Pro 440CDX USB Problem

I've been sorting through some old equipment recently and came across my old Toshiba notebook. I was thinking of moving it on, but couldn't resist seeing if it still worked. To my surprise & delight it booted up OK and ran the installed Windows 98. The battery took a few hours to charge and the capacity isn't great, but the machine is basically working OK.

I then started working through the operation of the ports, but found there is an issue with the USB port. The configuration in Control Panel/System/Device Manager is as follows:
Universal Serial Bus controllers
- NEC USB Open Host Controller {E5-E11}
- USB Root Hub

I'd be grateful for any ideas on diagnosing the problem.
Old 31st Jan 2014, 12:35 am   #2
ajs37
Heptode

Default Re: Toshiba Satellite Pro 440CDX USB Problem

I had this same model some years ago! W98 - the early version - did not support usb and you had to install usb drivers from Toshiba - however, your machine seems to realise that it has a usb root-hub, so it may be the later version (can't remember what the name was - Win'98 second edition or something?) - have you tried plugging in a usb device - a small (250k) memory stick or something? sometimes that triggers a good reaction!
cheers
Andy
Old 31st Jan 2014, 1:17 am   #3
AC/HL
Dekatron

When I ran W98 I seem recall it would work on USB, but only one port. I couldn't print whilst the Internet was connected as I couldn't have two devices connected at the same time. Second Edition was supposed to be OK, but I went straight to XP so can't say.
Old 31st Jan 2014, 12:10 pm   #4
jooles405
Triode

Thanks for the replies. As I understand it the notebook was shipped with Windows '95 which did require USB drivers from Toshiba. The software has since been updated to Windows '98 Second Edition. I've tried plugging in a 256M flash drive, which has an LED; but this does not illuminate. It appears there is no power on the port so it may be a hardware problem, but I wanted to explore all software options before opening up the unit.
Old 31st Jan 2014, 12:39 pm   #5
ronbryan
Octode

I seem to remember having to load a driver for a flash drive even with Win98 II. Have a look at this link and see if it is any help.

http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php

Ron
Old 31st Jan 2014, 7:18 pm   #6
terrybull
Octode

Windows 98 USB support is quite flaky even though the second edition was suppose to support it. Try to re boot with the USB stick plugged in.
Old 31st Jan 2014, 10:01 pm   #7
jooles405
Triode

Many thanks for the ideas - I'll certainly give the drivers a go once I can get the files onto the notebook. I tried the IR port today to transfer files, but couldn't get a reliable connection, so will have to dig out a PC with a floppy drive and USB or floppy drive with internet connection if you know what I mean!!
Old 31st Jan 2014, 11:44 pm   #8
KeithsTV
Nonode

I've found a few driver discs for Win 98 including one for a memory stick. You're welcome to borrow them.

Keith
Old 1st Feb 2014, 4:03 pm   #9
jooles405
Triode

Thanks, Keith. I'll let you know when I am next down your way (work or home).
Old 2nd Feb 2014, 9:46 pm   #10
emeritus
Dekatron

I still use a Gateway PC that came with Windows 98 SE, and it requires specific drivers to be installed for most devices connected to its USB ports. The only thing I found that didn't need a driver was a USB to Parallel cable. New USB devices are recognised as being present, and a dialogue box appears asking for a driver.
Old 3rd Feb 2014, 10:58 am   #11
arjoll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs37 View Post
W98 - the early version - did not support usb
Windows 98 had USB support from the first release, although as others have pointed out there were few drivers built-in, and devices like mass storage needed them loaded. I think you're thinking Windows 95, which had no support at all in the first versions and very limited support in OSR2.
Old 14th Feb 2014, 1:03 pm   #12
WaveyDipole
Nonode

If it has a CD/DVD drive, then it might be worth loading a Linux Live CD into the drive and booting up from it. If Linux recognizes the USB ports but Win98 doesn't then at least you will have eliminated the hardware...
Closed Thread