UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Mar 2019, 9:34 pm   #81
ekjdm14
Banned

Default Re: Ultra 6020

Back to the player, my suspicions of the AC176 have proved well-founded & a substituted item has the player behaving much more like I'd hoped originally. Seems I wasn't as thorough/successful at cleaning out the tin-whiskers as I thought & probably just washed them round a bit inside the can. This was making it test OK, but as it ran and warmed up something was expanding, leaking and eventually shorting out.

All in all a good learning exercise for me, I'm fortunate not to have killed the AC128 with the short across it (aided by a quick hand on the power when I knew something wasn't quite right) and bonus for Laurence as the Chinese amp module has been averted.

Been playing at a good volume for an hour now & running cool, all voltages good etc. Now onto reassembling it properly and sort the turntable out, I think the idler is contaminated as it slows/tries to stall during the trip cycle. Other than that, all good and happy with the outcome. I hope Laurence will be as pleased as I am to have this one working as it should.
Old 18th Mar 2019, 3:20 pm   #82
BUSHVHF
Tetrode

I'm sure I will, though it is weird about these idler wheels, this was just the sort of problem I had with two Garrard 210 decks, it would run fine and have enough torque to drive the autochange mechanics but after not being used for a while they would go really slow and labour when running the auto cycle but as soon as no load was on the idler, other than the turntable it ran fine, but eventually even the turntable wouldn't turn properly, all with no interference from me. I had to sell both the Bush SRP31C's with that awful deck as it's practically impossible to find a good replacement idler wheel for a Garrard 210 deck, hope it all sorts itself out, Laurence
Old 20th Mar 2019, 11:13 am   #83
ekjdm14
Banned

A good clean up under the platter has the TT behaving a lot better now. There is a couple of nicks in the idler tyre from something sharp but it's not affected by those thankfully. Seems it was just a case of over-zealous lubrication making it a bit slippy & a wash in acetone improved matters greatly.

I've noticed during testing another minor flaw, which is the attenuated tape output does not work although the radio input does. Having swapped leads around with the machine assembled to rule out socket/wiring I think it can only be the 47k resistor R1 being at fault. If I can find one in my parts box I'll pop the chassis out again, replace that and see how things go but otherwise the radio input can also be used as a non-attenuated output from the record player also & didn't seem too over-the-top levelwise when connected to a small portable recorder with ALC.
Old 20th Mar 2019, 12:29 pm   #84
BUSHVHF
Tetrode

WOW! this sounds great, I'm glad I got this player back from the guy who "repaired" it originally now!! Won.t be going back there again!

Thanks, BUSHVHF
Old 20th Mar 2019, 3:17 pm   #85
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekjdm14 View Post
I think it can only be the 47k resistor R1 being at fault. If I can find one in my parts box I'll pop the chassis out again, replace that
No need to go looking for one to replace it until you've first checked it with your DVM on the appropriate ohms range to see if it is actually faulty in the first place
Old 20th Mar 2019, 6:37 pm   #86
ekjdm14
Banned

Well that is also true, not easy to probe while the chassis is in so I thought best to make sure I have one first otherwise not much point removing the chassis and confirming it's death. (does seem unlikely, but is the only component left other than connectors/wires etc which have proven OK).

Will have a look later anyhow, currently on the table is my Grundig 2065 which needs the electrolytic can replaced (open one side) and I have a few other bits arrived for other toys too.
Old 21st Mar 2019, 12:07 pm   #87
Techman
Dekatron

I do tend to think that it's very unlikely that the resistor in question is faulty, much more likely to be a bad or wrong connection, probably at the socket, although you say you've checked this, but stranger things have happened, so you never know either way.
Old 23rd Mar 2019, 9:39 pm   #88
ekjdm14
Banned

It was "kind of" the 47k resistor... Somebody at one point or another had taken a component leg & soldered it between the input side of the resistor and earth, effectively shorting out the socket. The resistor itself though is OK.

Why this happened I don't know, but it didn't have the shine of recent solder to it & on cutting said link both input and output are now working as I'd have expected.

You were certainly on the money with that last comment, stranger things certainly have happened with this player! All good now though, but any thoughts on why someone would do this? (you'd have to remove the chassis to get at the terminal strip so it took some effort to do it).
Old 25th Mar 2019, 1:57 am   #89
BUSHVHF
Tetrode

How strange, I had no idea this player has been tampered with before I took it to the guy who last "restored" it early this year.
Laurence bushvhf
Old 26th Mar 2019, 9:30 pm   #90
Techman
Dekatron

It's anyone's guess as to why folk do these things. You should see a tape recorder that I've just been working on. It was the other free gift that I was given along with the Ferranti radio featured in another current thread. I decided to have a look at it for the first time last Saturday evening, and to say that it's had some 'work' done on it in the past is an understatement! It's one of those items that really wasn't worth the time and effort, but I was interested to see if it was possible to get it working - and I did in the end. It's a model that hasn't been featured on the forum as far as I can see (and there's no service information available), although it's been mentioned in passing in a single post in an old thread. I'd thought about giving it a write up to give it its moment of fame, if only for the entertainment value, whether I will or not we'll have to see - it's a bit of a wreck!
Old 27th Mar 2019, 11:03 am   #91
ekjdm14
Banned

Indeed, the best of my valve radios have been ones that were full of fluffy dust and untouched for years, as opposed to the SAC35 for example, which was clean but Got At/harvested of it's valuable output valve.

I don't visit the tape recorder section of the forum that much, but if you decide to give that player a write up there or in success stories I'd enjoy reading about it. Somehow reading about &/or getting things working that are "not worth the effort", never going to be good condition, seriously messed with etc, gives me much more enjoyment than a simple recomissioning type restoration. (I partly blame & partly thank Shango066 of youtube for this I think, his brand of diagnosis/repair appeals greatly to me!)
Old 27th Mar 2019, 4:17 pm   #92
BUSHVHF
Tetrode

Im gonna check out this guy Shango066 on youtube!! I am back in Mcr tomorrow, will mail you when Ive got everything sorted, got another laptop to get an SSD drive put in it, have two of the same laptops and this wonderful student computer shop replaced my other faulty HD with an SSD and these SSD drives are fantastic and fast compared to the "mechanical" hard drives so I am having my UK laptop done when I get back. thnaks
Old 27th Mar 2019, 5:27 pm   #93
BUSHVHF
Tetrode

OMG!! that Shango guy got that totally trashed RCA TV set working!! it looked worse than ones you see just dumped at the local council dumps!!
Old 27th Mar 2019, 11:13 pm   #94
ekjdm14
Banned

You should see some of his other resurrections (as opposed to restorations!). That latest RCA isn't half the story, really. The "Philthy Philco" is one of my favourites. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUVsT9rUI1A He visits a lot of old mine sites (one of his other passions is exploring underground) and there are all kinds of old TV's and radios abandoned there & this one was literally full of silt where water had flowed through it & a thick crust of rat droppings/urine to top it off. He's not everyone's cup of tea, but I find his videos both entertaining & educational.

Let me know when you're ready to pick up the Ultra anyway, there should be someone home most of the time. Cheers,
Old 28th Mar 2019, 12:37 am   #95
BUSHVHF
Tetrode

Hi, Dan, Im flying back to Mcr in the morning, I will call you when I have settled in and come and pick it up soon, thanks, Laurence
Closed Thread