UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 9th Dec 2003, 8:52 pm   #1
Ken
Hexode

Default Cleaning Paper Scales

Hi All

I had the problem of cleaning very fragile paper scales stuck to the bass and treble cotrols on an HMV1117. First I brushed off the dust with a soft brush. I then used an artists "putty" rubber to remove the dirt. This worked very well. Small pieces of this rubber can be pulled off and used in difficult areas. I am sure the use of a normal pencil rubber would have destroyed the paper.

Ken.

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 26th Dec 2004 at 11:46 pm. Reason: Fix link or code for vBulletin
Old 16th Dec 2003, 5:30 pm   #2
Ghostuser
Pentode

Default Re: Cleaning Paper Scales

Hi Ken,
Good idea, but I would personally always scan and save an image of anything that fragile before touching it in case disaster struck. Once scaned, photo editing software can do a very good job of cleaning up the image for future use.
Nigel
Old 17th Dec 2003, 2:32 pm   #3
Ken
Hexode

Thanks for your reply Nigel.

A good idea to scan them. I got a friend to do this for me once (dont have a scanner) with a broken glass tuning scale and after a cleanup on the computer I printed it out onto acetate. It was not perfect but was better than I had.
The paper scales were glued onto cylinders and I did not think I could get them off without damage hence the use of the putty rubber.

Regards,

Ken.
Old 17th Dec 2003, 2:44 pm   #4
GMB
Dekatron

If you scan a scale and print it out, take care to use long-lasting media and adhesives. I did this with a meter scale, laser printed onto normal paper and used "Copydex" glue to stick on back. The glue reacted with the paper and the whole lot now looks worse than the original after only 10 years!

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 26th Dec 2004 at 11:47 pm. Reason: Fix link or code for vBulletin
Old 26th Dec 2004, 11:51 pm   #5
Paul Stenning
Administrator

When scanning service data, I have found that Blu-Tack is useful for removing pencil marks and general dirt from frail paper. Roll it into a ball and roll it over the dirt/marks with your fingers. Don't try to use it like a rubber as this is likely to damage the paper.

Once it gets dirty, just pull and fold it a couple of times to expose a fresh surface and roll it into a ball again.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 26th Dec 2004, 11:56 pm   #6
SPCh
Rest in Peace

The same effect can be achieved using (un-buttered !) bread. It's an old antique dealer's trick.
Closed Thread