UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 25th Feb 2006, 6:53 pm   #1
Steve
Tetrode

Default Foam Cleaner

Just in case anyone is as stupid as me and doesn't bother to read instructions, don't spray foam cleaner (certainly not the CPC stuff, anyway) onto switches. I thought I'd clean my remote plipper for the car, so pulled it apart and liberally sprayed it with the cleaner. I let it dry out, put it back together and it seemed to work OK.

Later on, came to use the car again and it wouldn't unlock. After some messing I discovered that 2 of the 3 switches in the unit were measuring circa 2K when open. Fortunately removing the switches and soaking them in isopropyl alcohol seems to have returned them to normal.

It does warn about spraying directly onto electrical equipment but I'd assumed it just meant it was flammable, not that it was conductive.
Old 25th Feb 2006, 6:59 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Foam Cleaner

It's possible to knacker computer keyboards by an overenthusiastic application of foam cleaner. Thanks for the reminder Steve.

Paul
Old 25th Feb 2006, 7:07 pm   #3
PWH
Heptode

And if you spray it on paxoline with screen printed writing like aerial/earth gram tag strips, the writing will come straight off. Guess who found out the hard way!
Old 26th Feb 2006, 11:20 am   #4
radiogammon
Retired Dormant Member

There are many different types of foam cleaner on the market. Maplin's own brand is quite corrosive and more useful for cleaning greasy hard surfaces. There is even a warning on the tin that it can etch glass and all residues need to be removed. Certainly not one for radio dials or computer keyboards. The Servisol brand is more gentle. It is good for CRT screens , plastic cabinets etc and also contains an antistatic agent.
Old 26th Feb 2006, 2:51 pm   #5
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Yes, I'd recommend the Servisol one as about the best around - you get what you pay for!

I tend to be rather more cautious these days, having disintegrated all sorts of things with liberal application of solvents.

Hey Ho, we live and learn!
Old 26th Feb 2006, 3:08 pm   #6
paulsherwin

I've found Aldi Power Force Bathroom Cleaner works well without any nasty surprises, so I stick with that (99p). Anything designed for cleaning cooker tops is likely to be caustic, and anything that mentions limescale is likely to be acidic.

Best regards, Paul
Old 26th Feb 2006, 10:35 pm   #7
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian R Pateman
Yes, I'd recommend the Servisol one as about the best around - you get what you pay for!
Yes, I use that too (the one in the pale blue can). It seems to work better than some own-brand ones and doesn't seem to cause damge is used sensibly.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 26th Feb 2006, 10:54 pm   #8
Sean Williams
Dekatron

I have always used "simoniz foaming upholstery cleaner" - superb stuff and as far as I can see not corrosive.....

Volkswagen used to do their own version, and it would shift everything and lasted for ages, but it never caught on at 22 quid for a tin!

Cheers
Sean
Old 6th Mar 2006, 7:29 pm   #9
Jim - G4MEZ
Tetrode

I have found that Electrolube CTC "Carterclene" is the best of the bunch. It works well, even on Inkjet Ink, and does not seem to harm anything I have tried cleaning with it.

It does a great job on Bush VHF64 Piano Keys and Knobs and is good on glass.

It's water based, so never use it near switches of any sort. I believe its active ingredient is ammonia.

As an aside, it is fantastic for alloy wheel cleaning and removing old, nasty grease from cooker hoods and tiles.

I love the stuff..

Jim
Old 7th Mar 2006, 11:11 am   #10
newlite4
Octode

I also find Carterclene fairly effective, we use it as standard here at work. I had a nasty surprise one day though after I had just repaired an instrument. I decided to give the front panel a quick clean up with Carterclene and I suddenly noticed the screen print floating away with the run-off , it seemed to have just lifted it .
Neil
Closed Thread