UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Sep 2018, 7:30 pm   #1
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

Default Revox A77 Mk4 VU Meter

One of the meters is pegging out on this on power up and staying there . Any idea what might be causing it ? I know the meter is ok I just put it in out of another machine because one that was in there was broken . Its pegging out with no input connected . Playback and recording are both fine its only effecting the meter .
Old 8th Sep 2018, 10:24 pm   #2
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

Default Re: Revox A77 Mk4 VU Meter

OKay a bit more info .

I have 0.658v across that meter when its at a stand still which is whats causing it to peg out but I can work out where its coming from . mmmmm .
Old 8th Sep 2018, 11:37 pm   #3
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

Nevermind I got it , it was coming from the channel one record board . OK all done !
Old 12th Sep 2018, 7:52 pm   #4
Marotick
Triode

The VU meter of an A77 Revox is only for input signals.

Jack Marotick
Old 17th Sep 2018, 12:31 am   #5
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

Um ...correct.
Old 17th Sep 2018, 9:45 am   #6
Restoration73
Nonode

On my full track mono A77 (ex BBC) the left meter is input and right meter is playback
in case you come across one of these models.
Old 17th Sep 2018, 10:54 am   #7
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

And the Dolby version has several changes in the signal routing, one consequence of which is that the VUs read the playback signal as well as record.
Old 20th Sep 2018, 1:09 am   #8
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

So I finally got my scope and calibration tape and I was plodding along quite happily , when I got to the RF section .

Please take a look at the pic to see the instructions and save me typing them all and making errors and confusing the issue .

Now it says "4 track - 16v on each "

This is what I have (referenced to ground)

Orange - 32vac
blue - 0.64vac

Ummmmmm..........help.....you can hear the old recorded stuff under new recordings but I put that down to the old recordings being 2 track and this being a 4 track (tape is a NOS scotch , recorded on once )

So could some one help me figure out whats causing these voltages to be so far off the mark please.

Edit : I was told when I bought this that this machine was originally a half track . The heads and osc board have been swapped out for 4 track . If that makes any difference . Also , I dont have a VTVM so I`m using a Fluke . Note : both of the OSC cards look identical . I just took the one out of the 4 track and put that in when I installed the 4 track heads . I have no knowledge of whether it is a 4 track OSC card OR indeed that the machine every was actually half track .

It seems like all the voltage is going to one side of the head
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ERASE VOLTS.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	169560  
Old 20th Sep 2018, 1:11 pm   #9
Vicboduk
Hexode

Even a top end Fluke will not have the bandwidth to be able to measure the AC bias accurately, circa 120kHz.
A better choice would be to use your scope with a x10 probe. Note; the original VTVM would probably be average reading not RMS.
The use of the scope should make it straight forward to trace the signal path...

Old 20th Sep 2018, 1:15 pm   #10
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Have got both record buttons depressed? The volts across the selected erase head rise in mono.

The difference between the half and quarter track oscillators is in the transformer - otherwise they are identical.
Old 20th Sep 2018, 1:44 pm   #11
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

Thanks guys. .....

In the end I had to look at the osc schematic further down the manual . The reading were actually correct . I don`t know what they were going on about in the "instructions" but if you look at the schematic for the osc card , the true values are in there , so once I read that I could carry on and all values were in tolerance .

I`m now on to the RF bias and the coil isn`t doing anything .

I`m clipped onto the correct point shown in the pic ....

I should be getting < 300mV but as you can see in the pic I`m getting 700+ and the coil isnt adjusting it . Any ideas ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bias.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	169575   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180920_130514.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	169576  
Old 20th Sep 2018, 2:02 pm   #12
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

OK that problem is only existing one one of the cards by the way , the other one I`ve got down to around 98mV ish , so its working that one . This definitely has something amiss with it ..
Old 20th Sep 2018, 2:13 pm   #13
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

Its something on the actual record board . I`ll check some voltages .
Old 20th Sep 2018, 2:26 pm   #14
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

I swapped the board out to save time and they both ended up around 107mV so thats within spec . The one I replace the dodgy one with just wanted to go down and down until the core fell out so I`ve just matched it with the other one , will that be ok ?
Closed Thread