UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Nov 2011, 8:25 pm   #1
Studio1
Triode

Default Charging NiCad batteries

Does anyone know whether it is possible to charge a 13.2v NiCad power pack with a 14.4v NiCad power pack charger? Or should I use my Variac to reduce the voltage out of the 14.4v to 13.2v?
Any comments ??
Michael
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 8:53 pm   #2
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Re: Charging NiCad batteries

If it's a rapid charger then it will have a built in charging supervisory circuit so turning the mains voltage down wont work.

NiCd chargers work in various ways from a simple resistor to limit charge current to full switching constant voltage/constant current circuits with voltage ramp monitoring and timers.
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 9:40 pm   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

It really depends on what sort of charger (see above). IF it's a simple constant current charger with a current setting suitable for your pack, then yes. Otherwise, probably no. You can always charge a NiCd pack at C/10 (a charge rate of 1/10 in amps of the AH capacity of the pack). Under those conditions a full charge will take about 14 hours and overcharging within reason (ie a day or so not weeks) will not hurt. This is easy with a reasonable bench PSU (just set the output voltage to about 2V per cell and the current limit to C/10).

Not too difficult as a bodge job if you subtract the nominal battery voltage from whatever dc voltage supply you have available and put a resistor in series to drop that voltage difference at the charge current you want it'll be near enough.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 9:48 pm   #4
DAVEHALL
Retired Dormant Member

I had a neat little circuit using a 78xx as a constant current source for charging NICADS,from an electronics book .Can find it and post it up if anyone interested
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 11:39 pm   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

I think we've been here before:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...highlight=nicd

see posts 6 & 7

Ignore the LED driving references, a constant current source is a constant current source

If you do use a 78XX, the series resistor will need to drop XX volts at the current required.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 23rd Nov 2011, 8:34 pm   #6
Studio1
Triode

I would appreciate a basic interpretation of: 'You can always charge a NiCd pack at C/10 (a charge rate of 1/10 in amps of the AH capacity of the pack)' C/10 seems to be a common factor in NiCad charging terminology but I don't know what C/10 means or how it's applied. Sorry to show my ignorance!
Michael
Old 23rd Nov 2011, 8:56 pm   #7
Bob_Moss
Pentode

An example may be the best way to explain.
If you have an AA Ni-Cd rated at 2000mAh, then C would equal 2000mA.

Charging at C/10 (usual rated continuous charge current) would be at a current of 2000/10 = 200mA.

This would take approx. 13hours to charge from flat because of the inefficiencies in charging. This would not need to be monitored.

Charging at C/2 would be a current of 2000/2 = 1000mA, would take 2.5 hours approx but would have to be carefully controlled i.e. by timer (risky), temperature monitoring (awkward) or -ve dV/dt which looks for a drop in charge voltage at full charge (most commonly used in commercial "intelligent" chargers.
This is my brain dump, plenty more info on t'interweb.

Bob.
Old 23rd Nov 2011, 8:57 pm   #8
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Michael, C/10 is Capacity of battery (in Amp hours or milliamp hours) divided by 10. eg 4amp hour nicad (some "D" cells), divide by 10 = 0.4 amp hour (or 400mAH, same), then use this figure to charge for 14 hours. Hope this helps. Robin
Old 24th Nov 2011, 4:13 pm   #9
Studio1
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVEHALL View Post
I had a neat little circuit using a 78xx as a constant current source for charging NICADS,from an electronics book .Can find it and post it up if anyone interested
Yes, Dave, I would appreciate this.
Michael
Old 24th Nov 2011, 5:08 pm   #10
richrussell
Heptode

I'm about to buy a new battery for my radio controlled helicopter. Just goes to show the difference between 'vintage' technology like Ni-Cd and more modern technology like Li-Polymer in terms of safe charge and discharge currents.

This Li-Po 11.1V, 2200mAh battery can be charged at 2C (approx 4.5 Amps), and can be discharged continuously at 35C (77 Amps) or for short bursts of a few seconds at 60C (132 Amps). That's a serious amount of power density in a battery that measures 12cm x 3.5cm x 2cm.
Old 29th Nov 2011, 12:48 am   #11
Leon Crampin
Octode

I have a 22V helicopter Li-poly battery in my Hacker PR18. It was given to me as a dud battery so I found the defective cell and shorted it out - 19V is perfect for the job.

These batteries have a very impressive performance with minimal self-discharge.

For charging NiCd batteries I always wire a low voltage incandescent lamp in series with a simple power supply. This approximates well enough to constant current charging (as the lamp cools with reducing voltage, its resistance decreases) and also provides visual indication of charge state.

With a well chosen lamp in the circuit, overcharging is avoided.

Leon.
Old 29th Nov 2011, 1:00 am   #12
Herald1360
Dekatron

7805 charger circuit shown (but LM317 is better- less dissipation since it's effectively a "7801.25")
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7805 charger.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	59280  
.........O..Chris....O
Old 29th Nov 2011, 2:25 pm   #13
MichaelR
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Crampin View Post
For charging NiCd batteries I always wire a low voltage incandescent lamp in series with a simple power supply. This approximates well enough to constant current charging (as the lamp cools with reducing voltage, its resistance decreases) and also provides visual indication of charge state.

With a well chosen lamp in the circuit, overcharging is avoided.

Leon.
If you are charging a single cell that statement about overcharging may be true , but possibly not if you have a number of cells in series. If the cells are imbalanced ( not all at the same charge state) then you could overcharge a cell that has a higher charge state .

As for Lithium Polymer I would remove the cell that is faulty not short it out. Lithium Polymer cells as you have noted store a massive amount of energy , mistreat them and you will get a fire. I would certainly advise that you do not use anything other than a purpose designed charger for lithium as it is unforgiving when things go wrong.

Mike
Closed Thread