UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jul 2008, 4:41 pm   #1
Pete_kaye
Octode

Default Multimeter Quirk

Why do I get a reading on 2000k range when I hold the ends of the probes .Am I acting as a Resistor or a Cap or is it something funny with my meter?It only reads on this range and jumps about 500 K.Anyone else noticed this?\it is one of those £5 jobs from Maplins.
The reason I noticed is that clutching a resistor alters the reading if held in one's fingers.
Old 23rd Jul 2008, 4:46 pm   #2
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: Multimeter Quirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_kaye View Post
Why do I get a reading on 2000k range when I hold the ends of the probes.
Because you're measuring your body resistance from probe-to-probe. Spit on your fingers and watch it change!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 23rd Jul 2008, 6:53 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Multimeter Quirk

Russell's right, of course. The effect is only noticable on the high ohm ranges; on the lower ones, your body resistance is so high that it's insignificant.

This is how primitive lie detectors work.

Nick.
Closed Thread