UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jul 2008, 10:32 pm   #1
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default AVO 7 Mk II Cut-Out Button Replacement Query

I recently acquired an AVO 7 II (1958 vintage) but the domed cut-out button is missing, being broken off in a past life. All that is left protruding is a shaft of bakelite with a metal inner, sitting concentrically in a bakelite sleeve that sits in the cut-out hole (and isremovable from the front).

Is it a difficult job to replace the broken button assembly? A look inside (photo attached) would suggest all it is necessary to do is to trip the cut-out so the shaft is loose, and remove the retaining collet on the end by removing - or loosening - the grub-screw securing the collet to the inner end of the cut-out button.

- Or is there more to the job than meets the eye?

If it is as I think, then, of course, the next question is (and I shall post this bit in the relevant part of the forum!): does any kind soul have a spare cut-out button assembly they are willing to part with?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cutout.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	18679  

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 23rd Jul 2008, 9:23 am   #2
newlite4
Octode

Default Re: AVO 7 Mk II Cut-Out Button Replacement Query

Hello Russell, I have done loads of these. Simply unscrew the collar, gently push the jewelled lever to the left to release the mechanism and the cut-out shaft will drop out (remember to catch the washers and contact set as the shaft is released). Store the contact set and washers for later reassembly. I wish I still had the stocks of AVO spares but we no longer service them, our fleet of 100 or so AVOs has now been replaced by those rubbery Metrix analog meters .
Neil
Old 23rd Jul 2008, 10:32 am   #3
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: AVO 7 Mk II Cut-Out Button Replacement Query

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlite4 View Post
Hello Russell, I have done loads of these. Simply unscrew the collar, gently push the jewelled lever to the left to release the mechanism and the cut-out shaft will drop out (remember to catch the washers and contact set as the shaft is released). Store the contact set and washers for later reassembly. I wish I still had the stocks of AVO spares but we no longer service them, our fleet of 100 or so AVOs has now been replaced by those rubbery Metrix analog meters .
Neil
Neil,

Many thanks! - Over to the 'wanted' section...

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Closed Thread