UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Feb 2019, 7:37 pm   #1
Ekcoman
Heptode

Default Regluing rexine covering tips wanted

Would like to reattach the existing covering to an early BUSH SRP31C and wondering any good tips out there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	repair 1.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	178979   Click image for larger version

Name:	repair 2.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	178980  
Old 24th Feb 2019, 8:54 pm   #2
SeasideSteve
Triode

Default Re: Regluing rexine covering tips wanted

I have used PVA wood glue for this task. You may need to clean off any remaining glue particularly from the (presumably) wooden case. Perhaps clean it with a razor blade and some light sanding may be needed. You will need to pull the Rexine tight but in my experience it becomes quite pliable when coated with PVA.
Old 24th Feb 2019, 9:08 pm   #3
leslie5555
Heptode

Soften it up with Luke warm water will make it more pliable once it's soften up then use pva glue to glue it back in place.
Old 24th Feb 2019, 10:10 pm   #4
Nukeybrown
Heptode

Hair dryer to soften the vinyl
Old 24th Feb 2019, 11:09 pm   #5
Audio1950
Dekatron

I sincerely hope you prove me wrong, but I don't think you will be able to glue this back in place successfully. I've tried on two identical machines, and the vinyl has actually shrunk, so it wont push back into the curve of the lid. I used a hypodermic syringe filled with a thinned PVA adhesive. This avoids cutting the material, which never looks good afterwards, no matter how careful you are.
Old 25th Feb 2019, 11:26 am   #6
nicam49
Hexode

I'm hazarding a guess here, but if it's vinyl, then what about considering vinyl wallpaper overlap adhesive as vinyl is a tricky material to glue down..(not tried it myself you understand, just trying to be helpful)
Old 25th Feb 2019, 8:51 pm   #7
Ekcoman
Heptode

Appreciate all of your comments and will report back on whether I make any notable improvement. Many thanks to you all.
Old 26th Feb 2019, 1:57 pm   #8
tracypaper
Octode

With Rexine the outer side is vinyl and the side you glue is cloth, usually cotton, once soaked with PVA glue, it should stretch a little, the problem is Overlapping, this can take time and patience, I have had to map pin it in place on a couple of occasions when overlapping. Another key point, as mentioned above, make sure all old glue is removed.
Gaz.
Old 26th Feb 2019, 8:20 pm   #9
David G4EBT
Dekatron

I don't know if you want to glue the Rexine back in place without having to lift it clear, but if you do intend to lift it off, another alternative adhesive would be contact spray adhesive made for such purposes. For example, 'STUK' Professional Rapid Spray Glue, which I've used to renovate a Rexine covered UV light box, and for sticking speaker grille fabric. As with all contact adhesives, you don't have much 'open time' to adjust the positioning, and once it's stuck down, it's stuck. (Or should I say 'Stuk'!)

Here's a clip from the spec:

Quote:

8-<

STUK professional vinyl & plastic spray Glue is designed and manufactured to be used with all vinyl, hard and soft plastics, without causing “plasticiser migration”. this is where the plasticisers try to move away from the adhesive, causing discolouration and de-lamination. For all vinyl and plastic, use this special formula for the best results. 500ml can. STUK aerosol products are produced to exacting standards and meet all current legislation.

8-<

https://www.amazon.co.uk/STUK-Profes...19500953&psc=1

That's not to say that PVA wouldn't do a good job, but I'd be a bit wary about the water content soaking into the fabric and having a detrimental effect on the vinyl layer from the underside.

Good luck with it, whatever you decide to do.
Old 26th Feb 2019, 9:12 pm   #10
stevehertz
Dekatron

Evo-Stik impact adhesive is what I have always used with great success when affixing 'cloth' to wood. Its characteristics are perfectly suited to the job and are probably what was used originally.
Old 27th Feb 2019, 12:51 am   #11
parlourtw73vs
Pentode

I think I'll have to second David G4EBT in recommending the spray contact adhesive. I worked for a furniture maker and upholsterers for a while and they used that for bonding all sorts of materials together, PVC, Leather, rexine on rare occasions and even that polyurethane foam and I never once saw a bad reaction between any of those products. I do have one misgiving about what you may encounter when trying to refix it however. I've an old car in which the door cards are made of a very thick compressed and moulded cardboard overlaid with a vinyl skin. Over the years this vinyl definitely shrinks, pulling the card into a bow and making refitting them nigh on impossible. I fear you may encounter this shrinkage as Audio 1950 has already remarked. Good luck anyway in whichever method you try.
Old 28th Feb 2019, 3:48 pm   #12
John10b
Nonode

Could I ask a question about Rexine? I have re-covered a number of vintage cabinets using Rexine with good results.
However I did observe that the new Rexine that I had purchased seemed slightly thinner and more fragile than the original Rexine I had removed from the cabinets.
So what is Rexine and are there different grades or types etc?
Cheers
John
Closed Thread