UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Apr 2017, 12:06 pm   #1
g8jzyian
Pentode

Default C44 system. Question

Hi
I have been asked to post on behalf of a friend who is assisting with a deceased estate and has found a C44 system which includes Low band B43 AM Transmitters, and R220 Low band AM receivers. The R220/R220 is two receivers in one case.
It was designed by the Marconi company around 1951/2 and is a voice communications system for controlling Heavy Anti-Aircraft gun batteries.
The Marconi manual and circuit diagrams are present.
The C44 control room unit weighs in at 400 lbs.
Also 1 B43/R220 and 3 off R220/R200 receivers.
The question is:-
Re the C44 system, other than a museum, does anyone collect this kit these days?

Regards
Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	140528   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	140529   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	140530   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	140531  
Old 6th Apr 2017, 7:24 pm   #2
trh01uk
Octode

Default Re: C44 system. Question

Ian,

Well, a C44 is a pretty rare item. That's the first time I've seen one complete as in your pics - thanks for posting them. The R220 receivers do turn up occasionally but that's usually all.

Whether its mere rarity makes it of interest to anyone I couldn't say. Historically, its just another in a long line of equipments providing VHF links for bits of the Army. There are earlier examples of this type of technology (and of course later ones), so it doesn't demonstrate a "first" as far as I know. I guess interested individuals will come forward when they see your post.

As for museums, the obvious starting point would be the Royal Signals Museum at Blandford. I'm pretty sure they don't have one - though again I am not sure they will want it as it may not have been used by Royal Signals. When I was last in touch with them 10 years ago they were getting very picky about what they let in the door because of lack of space.

The date you give of 1951/2 is into the Cold War era. It's possible that one of the museums associated with that time - such as Hack Green - might have an interest perhaps.

Richard
Old 10th Apr 2017, 8:17 pm   #3
G8BBZ
Pentode

Hi All,
I certainly agree with Richard, the C44 is exceedingly rare - or to be more specific, the B43 transmitter is exceedingly rare.
The northern government surplus stores were awash with the R220 receivers in the mid-60's. They were very cheap and there must have been dozens of them sitting on 70.26MHz at that time. Not very convenient for multi-channel operation as there wasn't much space on the chassis for extra crystals and switching etc. The original crystal was a B7G glass envelope item, as I remember.
I had two R220 receivers in the huge cast alloy case. I hung on to this for years in the hope that the B43 transmitter and its power supply would turn up but they never did. The story at the time was that the Post Office had insisted that the B43 transmitters be destroyed rather than auctioned as they were worried that they would end up as taxi base stations - and I am sure many of them would have.
I eventually sold off my big alloy case for scrap and got rid of the receivers as there was no activity on 4m. AM, and never expected to hear anything about this equipment again. Then along comes this lot. Not only the B43 transmitters but also a Control Room unit which I never knew existed - and in amazingly good condition!
Anyone on 4m.AM these days?
cheers
Peter G8BBZ
Old 10th Apr 2017, 8:54 pm   #4
AC/HL
Dekatron

I recollect advertisements for transmitters in Wireless World stating "for export only".
Closed Thread