UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Mar 2017, 10:00 pm   #1
simonjp
Tetrode

Default Kenwood R5000 gone weird on LSB

Hi folks.

Just wondering if anyone has any pointers for my r5000 that has gone peculiar on LSB.

The other week I set about trying to improve the dim digits on the very bottom of each and every digit. I did manage to make some improvements.. The front display is a right bitch to get to and involves removal of the 2 inner pcbs behind the vacuum display module.

When I finished and rebuilt the receiver, it was working fine on USB, however on LSB it sounds awful, just as if the signals are going through an extremely narrow filter and of low amplitude.

The W position ( on LSB) is the only position where it is just possible to resolve a signal.. The same position should be selected when in Auto mode, but it isnt, it sounds narrow and unreadable.

The USB mode works normally.

I was so convinced that the filters were not being selected properly, that I decided to check the cathodes of each diode that switches in the filters, and they seem to be correct.
It also makes no sense, since the correct selection of filter is done in USB mode, and works fine as I said above.
The filters should be the same whether in lsb or usb, so I ruled out that fault.

Can anyone think what might have happened, during disassembly of the front panel and subsequent rebuild that would cause this problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Best 73

Simon
Old 21st Mar 2017, 10:54 pm   #2
Andrew2
Nonode

Default Re: Kenwood R5000 gone weird on LSB

Could it be the carrier insertion osc which has moved off frequency in LSB? I'm not sure how the two freq's (USB and LSB) are generated in the 5000, but given its age I would guess it is either two separate ocs or one osc with two selectable xtals, each with a trimmer.
My first move would be to check the frequency of this oscillator in LSB mode.
Old 21st Mar 2017, 10:56 pm   #3
Station X

The service manual can be found here:-

http://www.iw2nmx.it/Kenwood%20-%20T...e%20Manual.pdf

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 21st Mar 2017, 11:11 pm   #4
Andrew2
Nonode

Cor! Looking at that, the BFO cct is quite a thing in itself! And here's me thinking it was just a dicky trimmer...
Old 22nd Mar 2017, 1:44 am   #5
g4aaw pete
Heptode

Whilst removing & refitting the control PCB at the front panel area of the receiver, I noted how easily the wirelooms can be pinched between fixing posts. Wonder if this could have happened during reassembly of yours?

Regards
Pete.
Old 22nd Mar 2017, 8:53 am   #6
simonjp
Tetrode

thanks all for help so far.

Pretty sure that there are no wires trapped.

Yes, the cct is more complex than average and the workshop manual is a help but I am finding that the cct spread over countless pages is tiresome.

I will take a more detailed look at how the ssb is generated, but I had a quick glance and thought it was derived from a "divide by" chain.
Old 22nd Mar 2017, 3:16 pm   #7
John KC0G
Hexode

There is a block diagram of the PLL unit in figure 2 of page 3 of the service manual. The BFO signal is generated by its own PLL, followed by a division of 200 and then a mixer.

Given that the radio works OK on USB, this might be a good way to start. Are you able to measure the frequency of the BFO signal, either on the PLL board or near the detector, for both USB and LSB?

HTH and good luck

73 John
Old 22nd Mar 2017, 8:38 pm   #8
simonjp
Tetrode

Update.
Great suggestions all, John's guidance led me to the PLL.. It was 600khz out.
Seems as though the logic which tells the PLL what to divide by, is screwed.

Looks like the 4 bit source originates from one of the front panel pcb's.

Now hunting for damaged tracks etc.

thanks all
Old 22nd Mar 2017, 10:39 pm   #9
Station X

I've found a Logic Probe to be useful when tracking down these type of faults.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 5:59 am   #10
John KC0G
Hexode

Well done on finding that the fault is somehow related to VCO4.

I assume that the 600kHz error is at the output of the VCO before the divide by 200 divider. Which way was the error - was the output frequency too low, in which case it would have been close to the USB frequency, or was it too high ?

I think that there at least two possible problems:
i) as you surmised, the PLL is not being told to do the right thing
ii) the PLL is running out of control action, and the control voltage is at the minimum, or at the maximum of its range.
If it is easier, I would check the VCO control voltage first

73 John
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 5:50 pm   #11
simonjp
Tetrode

Hi John

Back from the salt mine, so able to continue on the r5000.

the frequency was 34.9744 Mhz and I think it should be 34.3Mhz

simon
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 10:43 pm   #12
John KC0G
Hexode

Hello Simon

I also think that it should be 34.3MHz. I presume that PLL gives 33.7MHz on USB ? If so, the VCO can cover the range, and then what - bad data?

Good luck and 73

John
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 11:33 pm   #13
simonjp
Tetrode

Hi John.

Yes, USB is fine... I've given up for tonight, I hate the service manual.. So many schematics cut in half and on different pages, makes it very difficult to follow the circuit.

I have identified that it all "kicks off" from A0 and A1 of the 7800 microprocessor.

I am trying to trace the cct from their, forwards to the pll.. Mainly cos I just cannot get my head around how the damn pll works with that "swallow" counter..

Bit out of my depth their, so I am hoping that I might find a broken wire whilst I am tracing the logic from the uP.. instead of banging my head against a wall with the PLL.

I'll give it a few more days, thenif I cant find it I'll move the radio into the sales section and get shot at a bargain price, or scrap it... It seems that even the case, knobs etc fetch good money.
Closed Thread