UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 29th May 2008, 6:55 pm   #1
AcerDave
Retired Dormant Member

Post work bench and equipment.

Hi,

I’m looking for some advice on setting up a work bench and equipment so far
i have an old 10mhz scope and a fluke multi-meter.

any advice would be appreciated
AD
Old 30th May 2008, 12:21 am   #2
igranic
Rest in Peace

Default Re: work bench and equipment.

Obviously, a lot will depend on your intentions and personal circumstances. The scope and Fluke multimeter are a good start. Here is my attempt at a list, in approximately diminishing order of importance:

1/ A solid, non-conductive workbench with plenty of power outlets (I have twelve and that is sometimes not enough!)

2/ Ensure that all mains power to the bench, for both equipment and items under repair, is fed via a single RCD. This could save your life!

3/ If you intend working on AC/DC radios or TVs, consider investing in an isolation transformer, again for safety reason, and for convenience with test gear grounding etc.

4/ Good lighting. Ikea have a range of good bench desk lamps with a choice of clamp mounts or weighted bases, all at very reasonable prices. I don't use their mounts, instead I have glued some appropriately-sized tufnol/srbf bushes directly into the surface of my work bench, thus minimizing clutter .

6/ Depending on resources, either a lamp limiter or variac is useful when bringing old radios back to life after extended periods of dormancy.

6/ A low voltage, temperature-controlled soldering iron. e.g. Weller or clone. These are available as either fixed temperature (temperature determined by type of tip), or variable temperature (determined by control on supply); some have a temperature display. The variable temperature types can be useful when de-soldering obstinate components, or getting sufficient heat to solder a large chassis ground tag.

7/ An analogue multimeter - the behavior of the pointer can often tell you a lot more than a digital display.

8/ An RF signal generator with AM modulation and an AM output - useful if you need to realign the tuning or IF stages of a radio, and for fault-finding the AM stages.

I hope you find this helpful. I am sure others will wish to add their thoughts and experience.

Edward
Old 20th Jun 2008, 12:43 pm   #3
love kt3
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Work bench and equipment.

Hi, most usefull device I know of is a 1 or 2 amp AC current analogue meter in line with a power socket. With experience it will show almost any fault. If it's unavaliable then a DC 1 mA movment and a small 6V xfmr connected as a current xfmr will work, with a brige rectifier and suitable resistor in line with xfmr primary and movement.
Old 29th Jun 2008, 9:32 pm   #4
ProDave
Retired Dormant Member

Well it depends what you will be doing on your workbench, but I couldn't be without my dual output variable voltage bench power supply.

I concur, an isolating tranny and Variac are pretty much essential for repairs of old tv's and radios.

I also find a rubber bench mat, the sort divided into squares, is perfect for protecting equipment under repair, and somewhere to put all the screws as you dismantle a set.
Old 29th Jun 2008, 9:41 pm   #5
mikelect
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDave View Post
I also find a rubber bench mat, the sort divided into squares, is perfect for protecting equipment under repair, and somewhere to put all the screws as you dismantle a set.
Suitable rubber mats are sold in pound shops and wilkinsons as car mats they do the job

Mike
Old 16th Jul 2008, 10:06 am   #6
Don Collie jnr
Retired Dormant Member

Hi AD!
You`ll need equipment that produces test signals, and equipment that measures
them. A good siggen is a must, and a function generator handy at times. An audio source is handy too. I don`t know how I ever did without a variable voltage bench PSU.
[Got 4 LV ones, and I`d like to have a regulated HV supply] The rest of my gear is all about measuring : Multimeters, 2 `scopes : one for general work, one for the more difficult to see HF stuff - [both dual trace]. A SpecAn is *really* handy at times, and not too expensive to buy if you hunt hard enough [I don`t know how I ever...] A frequency counter is essential, sometimes. I use a Weller temp controlled soldering station, because it`s easier to do a good job with one. [too much skill required with the
uncontrolled type !] Other things that are handy are : A general coverage receiver, a Variac and/or Automatic mains voltage regulator[with adjustment], an audio niose and distortion meter, Component bridge/capacitor leakage tester, Capacitor equivalent series resistance [ESR] meter, Signal tracer, Desoldering station [but a reel of good solderwick usually is enough], SWR meter, RF Power meter, Modulation meter, *Big* soldering Iron [doesn`t have to be temp controlled], for when a lot of heat is required, Wide, and narrowband sweep generators [Wobbulators !], Grid dip meter, *Lots* of component boxes, A place to put pending jobs, and *one* workspace approx 900 X 900mm.[anything more gets filled with junk] You`ll also need a bookcase for databooks, and texts, and a Computer with all the trimmings is just about essential these days [a *lot* of data is easiest found on the net]. A PayPal account saves a *whole* lot of mucking arround. A loving wife is good for meals, tea, and biscuits, etc., and an old dog to rest your feet on while sitting at your bench, performing surgery on whatever you`re restoring. I think that`s about all, good luck!,...........Don.
Old 24th Jul 2008, 12:35 pm   #7
PSValves
Pentode

Some great suggestions here so far. One that hasn't been mentioned, which I frequently rely on when stripping down a complex piece of equipment, is a digital camera. I use this to photograph each major stage of disassembly and the pictures provide an invaluable record of what went where.

I suspect many forum regulars will have a digital camera of some description already, but I find mine such a useful 'tool', I thought it worth mentioning.
Old 24th Jul 2008, 12:39 pm   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Yes, I find a digital camera so useful that I bought another identical one from an internet auction exclusively for workshop use. £200 new in 2003, £6 secondhand in 2008
Old 24th Jul 2008, 1:09 pm   #9
paulsherwin

Forum members use widely differing workbench setups - in fact many of us don't have a dedicated workbench at all. A lot depends on people's professional experience and training. Some people use fancy digital scopes all the time, while others rarely use a scope even if one is available.

After a DMM, my first choice would be a lamp limiter. These are cheap and easy to make, and once you've got used to using them they can pinpoint all sorts of faults in addition to providing considerable protection.

A professional temperature controlled soldering iron is a nice thing to have, but you don't really need one. You will need a decent low power soldering iron for most general work, say an 18W Antex, and a cheap high powered iron for occasional circumstances when you need a lot of heat. I use a 100W iron which cost £2 from a market stall, fitted with a switchable 1N4007 to reduce the power when required.

Paul
Closed Thread