UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Dec 2018, 3:42 pm   #21
newlite4
Octode

Default Re: An early Philips colour set - A long and boring history.

That under chassis view looks horrendous, where on earth do you start! Trouble with a set like this is that there is a lot of EHT about at relatively high current that can do a lot of damage to components if things are not quite right. Well done for getting this old 'un back into the land of the living.
Neil
Old 4th Dec 2018, 3:57 pm   #22
Mikey405
Octode

Hi all.

Thank you for the very kind comments, although most of them belong to the kind folks who helped me sort the bloddy thing out.

For anyone interested in the circuit diagram (or something similar at least), here is a link to a work-in-progress scan for the original 21KX100A. I'm afraid I don't have a diagram specifically for the 21KX102A although I have got different circuits for the 21KX105A and other odds-and-ends enough to work out the general circuit. (It's a case of having to work out which circuit fits any particular section.)

http://www.oldtechnology.net/misc/21...n_Progress.png

Interesting things to look out for are the unusual configuration of the anode and cathode of B302P, the strange audio circuit using a pair of high-impedance speakers in series, the direct / flywheel sync switch for the line oscillator / phase discriminator circuit and the flywheel-a-like frame circuit (which I never quite understood). If anyone would like any more info or diagrams then I'll happily post them.

Maarten, I'll find out the details when I get back to Solihull and let you know. I think there are a few of these sets kicking around in the UK.

One odd thing about this set is that although it has a combined VHF / UHF tuner similar to that used in many continental Philips sets, there is no way of knowing what channel you are on when switched to UHF. The 21KX100A had a display window indicating the channel number but had no motorised control buttons. The place where the window might otherwise have been on the '102A is taken up by a small button to choose between UHF and VHF - The same function button on the '100A was with the On-Off / Speech-Music / Colour Off switches at the bottom of the set.

Graham - Re a remote-control option, the set does indeed have a B9A plug on the back for adjusting the controls but I've never seen (or even heard mention of) a remote control for the set. It seems a little bit of a strange thing where you could change the volume, brightness, contrast and colour but there was no facility to switch the set on or off or change the channel.

Neil - The underside of the set was incredibly intimidating when first viewed but it all kind-of "sinks in" after a bit and it doesn't seem as bad. The biggest problem with it is trying to access the components - You need to lay on the floor on your front - and then you end up with a cricked neck. I've had to ask my neighbour to help me lift the set onto a very sturdy table for the last couple of fixing sessions.

Just as an aside, I think (hope) this set will be impressively reliable as all the resistors I measured seemed to be very high stability and had not changed by hardly as much as an ohm. The caps are mostly all mustards and I have yet to find a faulty one. The only things I've had to change really (apart from those two low-value caps in the line oscillator) have been the occasional valve, the VDR which had physically broken and the lopty. (I suspect I've contradicted myself somewhere there - but the point is that apart from those components mentioned there has hardly been a single component changed in the set's 54 year life.)*

Thanks again all.

Kind regards.

From Mike.

*Actually, I just spotted a few electrolytics and a couple of black pitch caps in the photo of the chassis that I changed along the way.

Last edited by Mikey405; 4th Dec 2018 at 4:11 pm. Reason: Addendum.
Old 5th Dec 2018, 2:16 pm   #23
beery
Heptode

Hi Mikey,
I've loved your write up, not at all boring.
Sometimes sets can take ages to restore, particularly if you have to track down rare parts. Your K4 must rank as one of the longest TV restoration projects and kudos to you for persevering because ultimately you succeeded in producing a very reliable performer.

What's next on the list I wonder?

Cheers
Andy
Old 5th Dec 2018, 2:57 pm   #24
Mikey405
Octode

Thanks for the kind comments Andy. In answer to your question, as I'm down here in Devon for a couple of weeks, the next set (already started) is one you may remember when we lumbered it out of a house in London into the back of a transit van many years back. It's that monster Invicta 16" metal-cone TV radiogram thing with a slightly modified Pye FV2 chassis. (Can't remember the model number off hand but T118 springs to mind.) But that's for another thread I think.

Thanks Andy.

Kind regards.

From Mike.
Old 6th Dec 2018, 5:21 pm   #25
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Hi Mike,

Wow! What a write up, not boring at all mate, in fact very interesting indeed and what a great story through all the woes along the way to finish up with a super ending!

That is a very nice set you have there sir!
I just took a look at the (similar) schematic - 32 valves!! really?

Shame I couldn't come to the bash in October, I would have loved to have seen it operating in the flesh.

All the best mate.

(By the way I copied the idea of your avatar, I hope you don't mind! )
Old 6th Dec 2018, 5:28 pm   #26
Radio Wrangler

Long, yes, bordering on epic. Boring, no. Gripping.

I'm not that interested in TVs but I read that with interest. A friend's parents had a large Philips colour console set, I think the generation after. Shunt triode EHT reg and all. I remember the huge convergence twiddler panel!

David
Old 7th Dec 2018, 11:29 am   #27
Focus Diode
Octode

Agree with all the comments.
Your dedication to the set in spite of all the drawbacks is second to none. I probably would've given up after the second Lopt failed.

Well done and what an excellent result.

Brian
Old 8th Dec 2018, 2:47 am   #28
The teleman
Pentode

Wow what a fantastic set, I’ve only ever seen an Ekco round screen colour set similar to yours
I would love one for my collection but it would be like finding hens teeth
Well done on a fantastic restoration

Chris
Old 10th Dec 2018, 11:43 pm   #29
markkelsall
Triode

Well done that man. Never thought I'd see that one up and running. Something to look fwd to in the new year at your next open day!
Old 11th Dec 2018, 8:36 pm   #30
Mikey405
Octode

Hi Lee, David, Brian, Chris and Mark.

Thank you for the kind comments. To be honest, I couldn't really NOT get it going - I just loved the set so I'd never want to part with it even if it never worked again. So then I have the luxury of taking as long as I like. And with brilliant pals like I have, I think it was inevitable it would work in the end.

Lee - Don't worry about copying my avatar - Frame sync problems are very common - I'm sure you'll get your logo working again very soon. Probably just a coupling cap. I'm just too lazy to fix mine.

Kind regards.

From Mike.

Last edited by Mikey405; 11th Dec 2018 at 8:42 pm.
Old 11th Dec 2018, 9:33 pm   #31
Tazman1966
Nonode

Just properly catching up with this thread. A fascinating read Mike and a set worthy of the time and effort lavished on it. I look forward to seeing it again...and you of course ��
Old 11th Dec 2018, 10:32 pm   #32
peter_scott
Dekatron

What a superb result after a real saga that would probably have caused me to give up. Very well done!

Peter
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 2:19 pm   #33
Electricdreams
Hexode

Wow! What a Beauty! Hope to see this one day!
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 2:56 pm   #34
ben
Dekatron

I had no idea such an early colour set existed in the UK! Hats off to you for your determination and for saving it.
Old 11th Apr 2019, 1:53 am   #35
GLENZ32
Hexode

What an amazing and interesting story, never knew such a set existed either. First glance it looks like a mono set but definetly isn't and what a great looking picture it has too! Just awesome!
Old 11th Apr 2019, 6:21 am   #36
Mikey405
Octode

Thanks everyone for the kind replies. Apologies for only just spotting then - Life gets no less busy and I've been rather neglecting my duties.

Thanks again all.

Kind regards.

From Mike.
Old 11th Apr 2019, 9:15 am   #37
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Gripping story and a reminder of a time when there were many outside the BBC who wanted to get going with colour TV even on 405 lines.

Does the G6 seem a bit of a step backwards in design from this to you?
Old 11th Apr 2019, 10:33 am   #38
Aerodyne
Octode

Congratulations on a seemingly impossible task now completed and working beautifully. Persistence is all. Most of us would have given up much earlier in the saga. This was practically half a lifetime in the realising, but what a beautiful looking set. I can see why you felt you had to sort it out, despite the overwhelming problems.

Very, very well done.

Tony
Closed Thread