UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Nov 2018, 9:33 pm   #1
Goldieoldie
Octode

Default Thin AA batteries

Hi
I have some vintage transistor radios which use tubes to hold the AA batteries. Modern AA batteries seem to be a larger diameter than the originals so are a tight fit or don't fit at all!
Does anyone know of a modern battery which is nearer to the original diameter please? Other batteries such as C and D types are also of interest.

Cheers, Pete.
Old 28th Nov 2018, 10:51 pm   #2
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Thin AA batteries

IIRC, the small cylindrical cells made in the 1960s weren't AA, but a different type number, which escapes me at the moment. Their diameter may well have been smaller than that of AA Batteries. Perhaps other members remember the type no. of 60's 1.5V cells, and when the AA's were introduced. 'D' cells were originally, at least in the U.K., called U2, but I don't remember the other types in use at that time.
Old 28th Nov 2018, 11:02 pm   #3
Dave757
Heptode

Hi,

Weren't they called HP7s?

Kind regards
Dave
Old 28th Nov 2018, 11:03 pm   #4
crackle
Rest in Peace

It may be the tubes have shrunk, a lot of plastics shrink with age.

Mike
Old 29th Nov 2018, 12:32 am   #5
Goldieoldie
Octode

Yes I think you are right,they might well of shrunk. I've ordered some of those AAA to AA converters. With any luck they might be a slightly smaller diameter. If not I'll try and reduce the diameter by sanding down.
Old 29th Nov 2018, 2:13 am   #6
Andrew2
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave757 View Post
Hi,

Weren't they called HP7s?

Kind regards
Dave
I think the HP7 number arrived in the 70's. Before that they were generally just called 'penlight batteries', perhaps U12 but my memory has given up! Modern AA's certainly seem a fraction fatter than the old ones.
Old 29th Nov 2018, 5:47 am   #7
broadgage
Nonode

The cells now known as AA have, over the years been known by various other terms, but AFAIK have always had the same nominal dimensions.

Any change in size would have resulted in considerable adverse publicity regarding new cells not fitting existing equipment.
Old 29th Nov 2018, 6:12 am   #8
TonyDuell
Dekatron

IIRC the original Penlight Battery was a 3V thing containing 2 of what we now call AA cells in line (A bit like the slightly more common No 8 battery). I am sure the instructions to one of my devices (maybe a Pifco 'Radiometer' test meter) says to use 'half a penlight battery'. An AA cell fits fine.

I remember buying AA cells as 'U12' in the blue wrapping. But also as SP7 and HP7 (one of the few times that the number was not kept the same, U2 was the same size as SP2 and HP2). And I think I saw them labelled D14 too.

The old Ever Ready equivalents of the modern cell sizes seem to be :

D : U2, SP2, HP2
C : U11, SP11, HP11
AA : U12, SP7, HP7
AAA : U16
N : D23
Old 29th Nov 2018, 8:41 am   #9
brenellic2000
Octode

I raised this problem over AA batteries in photographic equipment with Ray-O-Vac many years ago: Are these Japanese or UK/USA battery holders?

The Americans/British tended to aim for the larger production tolerance while the Japanese aimed at the smaller thus saving them millions in Yen in material costs thereby increasing profit margins! Simples!
Old 29th Nov 2018, 9:25 am   #10
KeithsTV
Nonode

I posted a 1966 article from Practical Electronics back in 2007 which had the dimensions, and other information, for various batteries of the time.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=20800

It would be interesting to compare those dimensions with the dimensions of current batteries.

Keith
Old 30th Nov 2018, 11:30 am   #11
D.Finney
Pentode

Penlight/keyring torch batteries were a lot smaller.
Old 30th Nov 2018, 3:48 pm   #12
Herald1360
Dekatron

Originally penlight batteries were 2*AA. AAA came along later and enabled more penlike penlights

A very effective penlight can now be made of course using 3*AAA and a high brightness white LED. Add a decent joule-thief circuit for an even more convincing one with just 2*AAA cells.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 30th Nov 2018, 11:46 pm   #13
johntech
Triode

I think the original "penlight batteries" only had a paper sleeve (not leakproof) the modern batteries have a steel outer which is supposedly leak proof hence the diameter difference.
Old 1st Dec 2018, 6:46 pm   #14
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

AA have been same size for over 100 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntech View Post
I think the original "penlight batteries" only had a paper sleeve (not leakproof) the modern batteries have a steel outer which is supposedly leak proof hence the diameter difference.
No, Zinc Carbon and Zinc Chloride have a Zinc case which is the negative and consumed. The card was replaced with plastic, a plastic disc on top and metal disc on the bottom and the result called "Leakproof", they just leaked less. Top connects to a central carbon electrode.

"Alkaline" batteries have a different metal electrode, which is positive. The metal disc at the base has the seal and the negative electrode is in the middle and consumed. They can leak if poorly made. Store upside down! Too much spring pressure breaks base seal and then they leak. Also tend to have a thin plastic film on the casing, which if pierced by a metal holder shorts the cell as case is positive.

The Penlight or AA cell came out about 1914, for fountain pen sized torches taking two cells. Popular with soldiers. The USA NEDA called them AA cells from 1945 or 1947. There WAS an A cell. The B cell is inside the three cell 4.5V pack (radios on the continent took two and rear cycle lamp took one). The Grid packs and HT packs used the B cells.
C and D still sold.
E went out of use long ago. Some bell batteries and radio LT packs used them.
F cells are in the 996 6V pack. One LT pack used four in parallel. The front cycle lamp 3V, used two, a spring on one case to bulb and one on top to switch.
Old 1st Dec 2018, 9:58 pm   #15
Goldieoldie
Octode

I have received the AAA to AA converters and they are thinner !
The average diameter of a Alkaline AA is 14 mm
The diameter of these converters is 13.7 mm although where they snap in half is slightly bigger.A quick rub down with sandpaper sorts that
Not much thinner but they now fit my radios
Hopefully this info useful to others .They cost £2.40 for 4 btw on EBay
Old 1st Dec 2018, 10:38 pm   #16
crackle
Rest in Peace

I would have found myself some thin clear plastic sheet, wrapped it loosely around a couple of batteries and glued it down with superglue to form a tube.
Or as in some of my other ITT-KB radios which use these tubes just leave them out.
The batteries tumble out when the battery cover is removed but it works fine with the battery cover in place.

Mike
Old 2nd Dec 2018, 9:25 am   #17
stevehertz
Dekatron

Just wrap AAA batteries with any kind of tape to achieve AA thickness.
Old 2nd Dec 2018, 10:42 am   #18
Goldieoldie
Octode

AAA batteries are shorter than AA batteries so you have to make up the length as well as the diameter .These cheap adaptors do both
Old 2nd Dec 2018, 11:10 am   #19
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldieoldie View Post
AAA batteries are shorter than AA batteries so you have to make up the length as well as the diameter .These cheap adaptors do both
Ah yes of course..
Old 2nd Dec 2018, 11:44 am   #20
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

Though AAA are mostly same price for four as AA (I never buy other than Alkaline, but never the Duracell, Energiser or Panasonic as they are overpriced). The AAA are nearly 1/2 capacity, so while I did once use a C to AA adaptor made out of plastic conduit, I can't imagine why I'd want to adapt AAA to AA. I'd use some tape if the original tubes couldn't be sorted somehow.
Closed Thread