UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Nov 2018, 1:02 pm   #21
Cobaltblue

Default Re: Pilot Little Maestro

Haha you want to talk to Andy (Diabolical Artificer) he seems to get more on his bike than many of us manage with an estate car

Do you have contacts in the Poole area?

Cheers

Mike T
Old 28th Nov 2018, 4:19 pm   #22
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardyman View Post
Thanks for that Mike, that was an option I had considered but I simply don't have the scrap chassis/resources to pull from but it has made me think twice now! Perhaps something will come along or I could just take the view that I can do no further harm to it whatever I do!
I've bought cheap (new) AM radio kits on eBay from China and also a couple of cheap Tesco AM/FM pocket sets and others on the "High Street" just for parts. A fraction of buying the parts. Note the IFTs are only good for transistor single tuned IFT, the MW coil and rod (can be cut shorter, nick with file and crack) makes half a valve IFT, with suitable fixed cap, or fixed cap + trimmer to avoid tuning by moving coil at edge of rod.
I'd not give up / strip the set, put it aside for later.
I've also bought a new Argos Clock Radio and used the mains transformer for a battery valve audio output transformer. About £5 (no postage), so a bargain.
Old 29th Nov 2018, 8:44 am   #23
Beardyman
Hexode

Cobaltblue, no I'm in Portsmouth, I scour the charity shops etc but have only ever seen a couple of small reel to reel tape recorders, never any radios. Yes, I too have gotten some rather large objects on the bike before now but I'm always worried about ferrying valve sets around.

Having given it some thought & after reading through what others have written I'll put it to one side for now, it will be the foundation set in my "to do" pile!

Thanks again to one & all who contributed, some very useful hints & tips.
Have a good day.