UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Old 1st Aug 2020, 1:34 pm   #21
merlinmaxwell
Dekatron

Default Re: Device to simulate a dual rail power supply from a single DC source

Now I must do something that uses the op amp power rail trick for fun, I wonder how using the power pins has a different frequency/phase relationship with a "normal" output pin. Probably not much if a sufficient current is taken.
At work I am (using a current and horrible term) "mentoring" a young, knowledgeable, thinking electronics engineer, I must tell him about this.

Every day is a school day!
Old 1st Aug 2020, 1:51 pm   #22
Mooly
Heptode

I added a simple 'virtual ground' option thus giving a split supply to one of my old Farnell PSU's. These had three terminals on the front (one is never used and for constant current as I recall).

I used an opamp (741 I think) and pair of small complementary output transistors with simple current limiting for each. So the virtual ground gives a split rail to whatever the main supply is set at and with a 100ma limit per rail.

It has proved invaluable over the years.
Mooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Aug 2020, 3:10 pm   #23
Refugee
Dekatron

You can get dual rail bench power supplies.
I have got one.
It is a real pain if the output terminals get loose though.
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=89688
Refugee is offline   Reply With Quote