UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Feb 2023, 9:20 pm   #1
audiomagpie
Heptode

Default RetrotechUK May 21st

Stall holder booking forms are now available via the RetrotechUK website:

https://www.retrotechuk.com

Look forwards to seeing many of you at the new venue this year!

BVWS committee chairman
Old 12th Feb 2023, 11:26 am   #2
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: RetrotechUK May 21st

The FAQ has now also been updated.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 17th Feb 2023, 5:53 pm   #3
duncanlowe
Nonode

I hope it's OK to ask for some advice. Prompted by the fact that I've been in the loft to rescue an Akai turntable because my Nephew was thinking of buying a vintage turntable, we have decided that we want to get rid of some stuff in the loft. A lot of 1980s HiFi (mid end) stuff (Speakers, tape decks, tuners , amps). But then my thoughts widened to lots of older computing stuff I have, like motherboards and PSUs. Also to the Mac G4 and monitor discussed in another thread. And in my head, the list goes on.

Now I'm not thinking of making a fortune (being a millionaire Rodney), but is it likely worth my while booking a stall at RT to get rid of these (I do have quite a bit)?

If so, how do I price? Ask for offers? Price stuff I think needs a start?

And how likely is it, especially if the price is right, that stuff will go?

Finally, I've some slightly newer stuff. Still old, but hardly retro. For example analogue and IP CCTV cameras, and CCTV IP servers. Would these be acceptable, and sell?

I did go to the first one after lockdown, 2 years ago and I think what I have fits the profile. But I'd hate to book a stall, and end up dragging most stuff back home.
Old 17th Feb 2023, 7:02 pm   #4
slidertogrid
Octode

I would look at ebay completed listings. from that you can judge saleability and get an idea as to what items will sell for. I sell a few radios at RT and I price them around half of the price ebay will achieve, working on the principal that there are no fees with RT but the potential "audience" is smaller than the auction site.
I usually manage to sell most of what I take. Anything not sold after lunch can always be reduced but bear in mind a lot of buyers will make offers anyway.
One point I would advise though is to put prices on everything as buyers often don't like asking and it will also save you time in answering questions.
Old 17th Feb 2023, 7:18 pm   #5
duncanlowe
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
I would look at ebay completed listings. from that you can judge saleability and get an idea as to what items will sell for. I sell a few radios at RT and I price them around half of the price ebay will achieve, working on the principal that there are no fees with RT but the potential "audience" is smaller than the auction site.
I usually manage to sell most of what I take. Anything not sold after lunch can always be reduced but bear in mind a lot of buyers will make offers anyway.
One point I would advise though is to put prices on everything as buyers often don't like asking and it will also save you time in answering questions.
Thanks, sound advice.
Old 9th Mar 2023, 7:37 pm   #6
Paul Stenning
Administrator

For those who have sent stall booking forms and cheques, nothing will happen yet.

Cheques are usually cashed 2-3 weeks before the event then the tickets etc posted about a week before.

If you have any concerns or queries please contact Greg using the email address on the RetroTechUK website.

Paul Stenning
Old 18th Mar 2023, 4:29 pm   #7
ortek_service
Octode

Annoying, the Dunstable Radio Rally date has finally been announced (a bit later than Jan/Feb they promise to announce it by): as being on the same 21st May day (which is around usual date for that)
So the RetroTech! (that had been announced a while ago and is a week later than normal this year), now clashes with that
- As they're < 60miles apart, many traders and visitors (particularly those of us who live between them) normally often go to both. So could mean lower numbers at each.

Bletchley Park's TNMoC is also holding an Acorn Computers Econet 'bring-your-own party' to create a large network on that date! (but all weekend at least, so also on Sat 20th May).
Seems May's rather busy for events / are like buses, arriving together in three's!
Old 18th Mar 2023, 8:13 pm   #8
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Yes, RetroTechUK is usually the day after Eurovision final but it's a week later than that this year.

With the change of venue decision only made at the August 2022 BVWS committee meeting, the BVWS were quite late to book so had to go with the closest available date.

It's a shame Dunstable Radio Rally didn't check as the RetroTechUK date was announced first, but it also makes sense for them to choose their usual weekend.

Paul Stenning
Old 18th Mar 2023, 9:25 pm   #9
audiomagpie
Heptode

It's inevitable that events will clash from time to time and the situation is not ideal.

Having found a new venue that has enabled us to continue with the RetrotechUK event, we were unable to secure our regular date of the second Sunday in May. Other dates had to be considered. We had to consider other spring events, holidays already booked and it's a busy time of the year for bank holidays this coming May - there are 3! Previous experience has taught us that bank holiday weekends are best avoided. So we feel we've done the best we can in the circumstances...

Apologies if this means a few of you will be unable to attend - we'll miss you and hopefully the situation will be better next year!

BVWS committee chairman
Old 15th Apr 2023, 8:06 pm   #10
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Is the bring and buy operating this year?

Nick is trying to empty some of his junk boxes.
Old 15th Apr 2023, 10:23 pm   #11
audiomagpie
Heptode

Yes Nick, there will be the Bring & Buy stall...

BVWS committee chairman
Old 16th Apr 2023, 4:55 pm   #12
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Excellent! I have a growing pile of items for the Bring & Buy as museum donations.

Paul Stenning
Old 16th Apr 2023, 9:33 pm   #13
Reelman
Octode

I was speaking to 60 oldjohn tonight and he mentioned that the booking form for Retrotechuk received with the Bulletin was only printed on one side, so he has the page for his details but not the page with the prices etc. On checking mine received in the same way it was complete, printed on both sides. Referring to the Retrotechuk website the booking form there only shows me the “prices” page. I believe that this is a “feature” of using an iPad for some reason.
Just wanted to mention this in case anyone is having an issue that stops them from submitting their booking form.

Peter
Old 16th Apr 2023, 11:01 pm   #14
Reelman
Octode

Further to my #13 post, just checked and using a PC all of the booking form is visible. Why the iPad shows only part of the form - I don't know.

Peter
Old 24th Apr 2023, 8:49 am   #15
audiomagpie
Heptode

RetrotechUK stall tables are now fully booked, stallholders tickets with a table plan/instructions will be posted out later this week...

Many thanks!

BVWS committee chairman
Old 30th Apr 2023, 7:57 pm   #16
STBMaker
Diode

The Bring & Buy will operate as usual. Multiple item entry forms are attached below. We'll have fewer tables at this new location, but we'll have space behind them, so we should be able to accommodate the usual, large number of items.

As usual, the stall will be run directly by the committee from the Dulwich Wireless Museum (BVWM.org.uk), for whom it raises much needed funds, plus I will be helping out. Please bear with us at busy times, particularly if you have items to check in.

There are 2 ways to sell stuff on the B&B.

1: Donation - with 100% going to the Vintage Wireless Museum. This is easy for us because there's no admin for labels, lists etc.

2: Sales with 10% commission to the Museum. If you have more than 1 or 2 items it helps us a lot if you can complete a numbered list with prices before you arrive, using the form attached below. Add in any lower price you can accept in the Offers column. We try to sell at the best price we can! Remember to stick corresponding numbered price labels on each item. Leave space before the number so we can add a unique serial letter to each label. We can do labeling/listing on the day but it really slows things down for everyone at busy times.

The B&B closes at 4pm just like the rest of RetroTech. If you've sold anything you can collect the proceeds at any time. Unsold items need to be collected before 4pm. We don't have facilities to dispose of unsold items.

See you on the 21st.

Steve Beck, Communications Officer, BVWS
Attached Files
File Type: pdf B&B Single Sheet.pdf (62.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: docx B&B Single Sheet.docx (15.4 KB, 19 views)
Old 30th Apr 2023, 8:08 pm   #17
STBMaker
Diode

Further to my post regarding the B&B stall ...

The Bring & Buy's 6 tables (nos 52-57) will be immediately to your right, as you enter the event via the gap in the partition. The partition is no more than 1M high, so goods for the B&B can be handed over the partition without the need to come into the event, if the 'item donor' is not allowed in at that time.

If this is workable on the day, it'll allow items to be checked-in for sale or donation as early as possible.

Steve Beck
Old 1st May 2023, 1:08 pm   #18
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I have a number of items for museum donations. I will check it's all sold and take away anything that remains.

It's good that people can check their items in earlier while waiting for standard entry.

Paul Stenning
Old 1st May 2023, 4:55 pm   #19
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Is it safe to assume the new venue doesn't impose the ban on trollies that the WEC had?
Old 1st May 2023, 7:30 pm   #20
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
Is it safe to assume the new venue doesn't impose the ban on trollies that the WEC had?
It's not an assumption, it's actually stated on the information sheet that accompanies tickets, "You will need to bring your own trolleys". So yes, trolleys are allowed, just bring your own.