UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 12th Mar 2023, 12:54 pm   #1
telstar
Octode

Default Bush TR82 chassis supports idea

With reference to the range of transistor radio made by Bush (TR82, VTR103 and so forth) with problems with the chassis supports. One of the supports on one of my radios broke (where the metal for the self tapping screws anchors to the cabinet supports). I mixed up some epoxy resin and filled the top bit of the groove up in the plastic (after roughening up the area with a file). Then I applied some Vaseline to the self tapping screw (all over it), and carefully put the screw in the glue. A day later, I removed the screw and put the metal bracket on the area and was able to screw the self tapper in place to support the chassis. This process seems to be the solution. I haven't screwed the chassis down to the clips yet as I am waiting to do work on the chassis
Old 12th Mar 2023, 11:18 pm   #2
telstar
Octode

Default Re: Bush TR82 chassis supports idea

I will try and see if the bracket for supporting the chassis to the cabinet will hold in place without collapsing. It should at least be strong enough
Old 14th Mar 2023, 3:10 pm   #3
telstar
Octode

The first part of the idea wasn't quite successful as I thought. The bracket wanted more support at its top, so I have applied epoxy resin to the top of the bracket and just behind where it meets the cabinet.
Old 15th Mar 2023, 12:58 pm   #4
Martin Bush
Octode

Is it possible to see a photo of this?

I have a couple of sets and experienced the problem. At one point this resulted in me starting a thread that made it look as if I was completely incompetent (I'd not realised that something had broken off the case).

Anyway, seeing your solution would be interesting.
Old 16th Mar 2023, 11:32 am   #5
telstar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Bush View Post
Is it possible to see a photo of this?

I have a couple of sets and experienced the problem. At one point this resulted in me starting a thread that made it look as if I was completely incompetent (I'd not realised that something had broken off the case).

Anyway, seeing your solution would be interesting.
Hi Martin
Sorry that I don't have any photographs that I can add to the forum. Basically what I did was use epoxy resin to the metal clip (the top piece of the metal supports the chassis and fitting screws). The back of the clip meets the two split plastic mounts on the cabinet side. This is where I applied the epoxy resin to between the back of the clip (at its top). There is a self tapping screw further down which had come away whose grip had ceased due to the plastic breaking. I repaired the thread in the plastic using epoxy resin and coating the screw in petroleum jelly (so the screw did not stick to the glue). When the glue dried, I removed the screw and reapplied the bracket with the screw. Unfortunately, it did not support the top, that is why I had to glue the top of the clip.
I do not have the software for my camera on this computer at present
Mike
Closed Thread