UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Feb 2019, 9:08 pm   #61
Freya
Octode

Default Re: Hedghog standards converter

Happy to help when your ready.
Old 14th Feb 2019, 10:55 pm   #62
Radio_Dave
Nonode

I've gone through the downloading process again and I think I've found out what's going wrong. Basically when you click to download the Quartus II web edition you are diverted to the registration/login page. Once you've done this you are diverted again to a page which show all the versions of Quartus in a drop down menu. V13.0 sp1 is on the list but it's the full subscription version and not the free web edition. The only way I can seem get back to the free version download is to go back to the original link on Frank's page, after registering. Hope that makes sense.

Regards
David
Old 14th Feb 2019, 10:57 pm   #63
1100 man
Octode

Brilliant, Stephen, many thanks!

Farnell stuff should be here Monday so I can at least make a start on some of the SM stuff.

The 5 modulator chips & the FPGA/ blaster will turn up when they get here. I'll have a go at downloading the software and see how I get on.

Dave, that's interesting! I'll bear that in mind when I come to try it. Any idea how big the file is for the free web version?

Many thanks
Nick

Last edited by 1100 man; 14th Feb 2019 at 11:01 pm. Reason: extra text
Old 14th Feb 2019, 11:11 pm   #64
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Hi Nick,

Two files are downloaded with a total size of 2.08 GB.

Regards
David
Old 14th Feb 2019, 11:57 pm   #65
FRANK.C
Heptode

Like Dave I have just tried to download Quartus and found out I am no longer registered. Checking back it was January 2017 when I first downloaded it.
Back then it was Altera now it is on Intel's own web site. I had to go through the registering all over again and it is a bit of a pain I don't remember it been anything like that.

After registering it defaults to the pro version. There are three versions Lite, Standard and Pro. Lite is the free web version that we want.
As Dave has said, probably the easiest way to get to the correct page is after registering and logging in use the link on the Hedghog page.

Frank
Old 15th Feb 2019, 12:50 am   #66
FRANK.C
Heptode

If you only want to program. The programmer can be downloaded on it's own.
On the download page untick everything except "Quartus II Programmer and SignalTap II"
See the screen shot below. This makes the download file much smaller.

I have downloaded and tested it and it works OK.

Frank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	programmer_only.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	178422  
Old 19th Feb 2019, 12:16 am   #67
1100 man
Octode

Hi Frank,
Many thanks for that information. Just downloading the programmer seems a much better way to go. My FPGA board & programmer are now trundling slowly from China and I received a whole pile of insanely small components from Farnell today. I also now have some much finer solder and a syringe of flux so am all ready to start assembly!

Cheers
Nick
Old 19th Feb 2019, 10:09 am   #68
FRANK.C
Heptode

Hi Nick
Installing the programmer didn't produce a desktop shortcut. I had to go searching for the application. the one I used was found at.
C:/altera/13.0sp1/qprogrammer/bin/quartus_pgmw.exe

quartus_pgmw.exe is a 32 bit version.
There may be other versions there as well.

Frank
Old 19th Feb 2019, 10:57 am   #69
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

My 2 are well on their way to completion, although one has now become ‘the runt of the litter’ due to my ability to order the correct number of parts! I found soldering the multi legged parts dead easy, using my microscope and a fine tipped bit on the JBC iron, and very fine lead solder with a bit of gel flux. I’m now waiting for the FPGA and some header sockets to arrive, whilst I’ve got some other bits arriving from Farnell and RS this week. Can’t wait to get it programmed and power it up for the first time!

Regards
Lloyd
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EA4935DA-972B-4137-9444-0EFFF98E7C49.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	178672   Click image for larger version

Name:	2D3C1C4C-85C0-4272-9D65-75A8A4FD6A5A.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	178673   Click image for larger version

Name:	2AF27453-7638-4779-8F17-6B6B24567B46.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	178674  
Old 19th Feb 2019, 11:31 am   #70
FRANK.C
Heptode

Hi Lloyd
Thanks for posting the photos. That's very neat soldering and puts my efforts to shame.
I find IC3 is fiddly to get positioned correctly.

Frank
Old 25th Feb 2019, 10:12 pm   #71
1100 man
Octode

Well, most surprisingly, the FPGA & blaster turned up today! I only ordered it 10 days ago- how do they do that!!

My first foray into surface mount assembly has gone remarkably well. I started with the resistors & other 0805 bits just to develop my technique. Not having a bench magnifier (you don't need one for valve TV's!), parts were placed & soldered and then checked with a watchmakers lens. Some corrections were then made.
I then tackled the multi-legged parts in the same way. Very surprisingly, the video decoder chip (IC1), was dead easy. Any solder bridges were cleared with some braid and then re- checked with the lens.

As most parts had to be ordered in multiples and I had bought two PCB's from Frank, I have decided to build two Hedghogs.

I am now going to investigate downloading the programming software. I understood very little of the information given up thread so it doesn't bode well!
I will have a poke about and then ask some questions.

All the best
Nick
Old 25th Feb 2019, 10:50 pm   #72
1100 man
Octode

So here goes with the first round of questions!

"The FPGA board comes programed with a small program that makes the on board LED's D5, D4 and D2 flash in unison. When programed with the Hedghog program the three LED's flash but at different frequencies to each other. When installed in the Hedghog PCB this feature is disabled with the three LED's off."

1) If the FPGA board is powered up via the on board socket (5V I assume?), Will the led's flash in unison? Can this be used to check whether the board basically works?

2) What does the little push switch do on the board? Reset?

3) When programming, which socket does the blaster connect to? Does it also need to be powered via the on board power socket? Or does it get it's power from the blaster/ USB lead?

Cheers
Nick
Old 25th Feb 2019, 11:40 pm   #73
1100 man
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK.C View Post
If you only want to program. The programmer can be downloaded on it's own.
On the download page untick everything except "Quartus II Programmer and SignalTap II"
See the screen shot below. This makes the download file much smaller.

I have downloaded and tested it and it works OK.

Frank
Hi Frank,
I've just been to the Quartus site via the link on the Hedghog site. If I click 'download individual files', I get the screen shown in the first picture. That's similar to your screen shot in post 66.

If I just download the "Quartus II Programmer and SignalTap II", is that all I need? It implies I need to download device support as well.

Also under installation instructions, I get the screen in the second picture.

A few posts further on in the thread, you then say:

"Installing the programmer didn't produce a desktop shortcut. I had to go searching for the application. the one I used was found at.

quartus_pgmw.exe is a 32 bit version.
There may be other versions there as well."

I'm not sure what that means!

I'm going to need some serious 'hand holding' with this:- sorry about that! I'm also using a Linux machine just to complicate matters!

Cheers
Nick
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0786.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	179032   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0787.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	179033  

Last edited by 1100 man; 25th Feb 2019 at 11:45 pm. Reason: multiple corrections!
Old 26th Feb 2019, 12:57 am   #74
FRANK.C
Heptode

Hi Nick
To answer your questions in post 72

1) you will need to power up the FPGA board from an external 5V source and not have it installed in the Hedghog PCB to do the LED test and also to programme it. Although the LED's flashing in unison may work. I haven't tried it.

2) It is not used in Hedghog. A quick look at the FPGA board diagram would suggest it is just a push switch and not a reset switch

3)To program use the JTAG socket and power the FPGA board from an extremal 5V source.

Post 73

Yes

On the download page untick everything except "Quartus II Programmer and Signal Tap II" and install it.
I don't believe that you need anything more when you are only programming.
I cant say this for absolute sure as everything was already installed on my computer before I tried this. But I am fairly certain about it.

When installed follow the path on your computer to get to the application:

Or in other words:

Drive C
Then folder altera
Then folder 13.0sp1
Then folder qprogrammer
Then folder bin

and click on the application quartus_pgmw.exe

Hope that makes since.

I have it installed on a windows PC. The path may be different on a Linux machine.

Frank
Old 26th Feb 2019, 10:22 am   #75
1100 man
Octode

Hi Frank,
Many thanks for your explanation!.

Unfortunately, for someone who just clicks on a button that says 'The Internet', the concepts of files, folders, paths, drives, applications etc.,don't come easily to me. In fact, I don't believe I've ever downloaded any software before!

So this part of the project is way more challenging for me than soldering a board full of silly size components that I can't even see! However, I will persevere and get to grips with it.

I'll have a go tonight and see where I get to.

Thanks again for your continued help:- it's most appreciated!

All the best
Nick
Old 27th Feb 2019, 12:32 am   #76
1100 man
Octode

I feel like my brain has been fried! After 3 hours of buggering about on the computer, I think I've achieved something!!

Firstly, on powering up the FPGA board, all three LED's do flash in unison, so presumably that indicates that the FPGA is fairly functional?

Trying to download the programmer software, unsurprisingly, it wanted me to create an account. I did that and activated it, but it then wouldn't let me sign in saying 'connection insecure'!

Clicking the link on Frank's website brought me back to the Quartus site whereupon it would let me download the software but showed me as not logged in! All a bit strange.

Once downloaded, trying to work out how to actually install it took some searching on Google and some considerable time!!

I then managed to find the 'PGMW' file and clicked on that. After some more messing about, I got the 'no hardware' box to find the blaster and the 'add file' box to display the .jic file from Frank's site.

So how do I get the thing to actually program the FPGA?

I have the screen shown below, but can't see any options to transfer the program to the chip. The FPGA board & blaster are all connected and the three LED's are flashing in unison.

So what is the next step?

Many thanks
Cheers
Nick
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0788.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	179099  
Old 27th Feb 2019, 1:00 am   #77
FRANK.C
Heptode

Hi Nick
Well done you are almost there from your photo I think all you have to do is tick the boxes under 'program/configure' and then click on 'start'

Frank
Old 27th Feb 2019, 1:14 am   #78
1100 man
Octode

Hi Frank,
I've just tried that and then the 'start' button is highlighted. Clicking it I get:

'operation failed- unexpected error in JTAG server- error code 89'

Cheers
Nick
Old 27th Feb 2019, 8:12 am   #79
Freya
Octode

Looks like the blaster setup is wrong, is the blaster shown correctly in device manager. It should be installed as an Altera USB Blaster under the Universal serial Bus Controllers.

Once that is correct it should look like this in Quartus.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190227_065659.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	179103   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190227_065625.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	179104   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190227_065734.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	179105  
Old 27th Feb 2019, 9:09 am   #80
FRANK.C
Heptode

Hi Nick
Googling "quartus jtag server error 89" returns some results.
It appears to be an error associated with the USB ports under Linux. I don't know anything about Linux so not able to advise.

Frank