UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Dec 2019, 11:06 pm   #1
ambriel
Triode

Default Panasonic/Technics SL-N5 Turntable Tracking Problem

Hi, I've a 1980s Panasonic SL-N5 turntable that I understand was also sold with a Technics badge.

It was a skip find and works fine apart from one little problem: as soon as the arm drops onto the record it skids across to the centre of the disc.

I've fitted a new main belt and stylus but there isn't any adjustment on the arm. I've resisted the urge, so far, to Blutak a penny to it.

I haven't stripped it down yet but wanted to ask whether anyone could tell me about the arm mechanism and how its tracking is controlled? I haven't had any joy finding a service manual for it online, so far.

Regards
G.
Old 4th Dec 2019, 12:37 am   #2
simpsons
Octode

Default Re: Panasonic/Technics SL-N5 Turntable Tracking Problem

This is a semi automatic turntable. The Service Manual gives an exploded view of the record size sensor, cueing rod and associated pick up drop mechanism which needs to be examined. Often the problem of turntables not performing is caused by hardened grease however, it really comes down to if the tone arm is being dragged across the record or just fails to track.
Old 7th Dec 2019, 2:59 pm   #3
ambriel
Triode

Thanks, yes I'll have to try a few more things with a record I don't mind sacrificing to determine whether it's being pulled across or just going that way naturally. I'll try physically weighting the stylus as well. It seems odd there's no way to adjust the weight balance of the arm. Did you find the service manual on-line somewhere?

Hardened grease is a bane in one of my other collecting hobbies - old computers.
Old 7th Dec 2019, 7:07 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

This is a fairly basic midi-system deck. The arm was uniquely designed for the type of cartridge used by Panasonic in this period and so is unlikely to have, or need, any form of adjustment. There is no point adding weight/mass to the head as it will impair performance and likely cause groove damage. Best to do a thorough degrease/regrease as advised.
Old 8th Dec 2019, 4:57 pm   #5
ambriel
Triode

Thanks, I'll take it apart and have a look what's inside. Hopefully just a clean and re-grease.
Old 11th Dec 2019, 12:30 am   #6
ben
Dekatron

Look near the pivot of the arm. There is likely a sort of 'ledge' or platform that is activaed by the cueing lever or end of side auto-return mech. These often suffer from sticky damping grease and remain partly raised, so the stylus does not descend far enough onto the disc. I have had this a couple of times over the last few years with this kind of turntable.

To check, put a record on to reduce the risk of harming the stylus. Ensure the auto sequence is not activated and the cue lever is down. Gently press the platform down (use a rubber tipped pencil if you cannot get your finger in there). See if the thing then tracks the record.
Old 11th Dec 2019, 10:10 am   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I second what Ben says. Check that the lifter platform is absolutely clear of the bottom of the arm before delving in deeper.
Old 12th Dec 2019, 12:04 am   #8
simpsons
Octode

The service manual is available through Elektrotanya. Just Google Panasonic SL-N5 service manual and its yours.

Chris
Old 22nd Dec 2019, 3:02 pm   #9
ambriel
Triode

Thanks for the suggestions. I took the base plate off but you can see very little of the tone arm mechanism. I'll check the cueing/lift plate is descending properly. Thanks also for the tip on the service manual. I've downloaded this now.

Last edited by ambriel; 22nd Dec 2019 at 3:15 pm.
Closed Thread