UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Nov 2019, 3:49 pm   #1
Goodizzy
Pentode

Default Harversonic Stereo amplifier

Morning from across the pond,

I came upon this on my never-ending quest for early UK valve/transistor amps. I searched and found a few other posts regarding Haverson surplus, but they were all valve related. And practically nothing on the world wide web.

Anyone ever own or hear one of these Haversonic amplifiers?
Old 30th Nov 2019, 4:06 pm   #2
Goldie99
Heptode

Default Re: Harversonic Stereo amplifier

Try page 91 of the following pdf file - it's a 1976 ad from Harverson Surplus, that suggests it may be the 'Supersound 10+10 Stereo Amplifier kit'.

https://www.americanradiohistory.com...PW-1976-10.pdf

Alan

Edit - spelling corrected

Last edited by Goldie99; 30th Nov 2019 at 4:13 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old 30th Nov 2019, 4:11 pm   #3
dazzlevision
Dekatron

It's actually HaRversonic, not Haversonic.
Old 30th Nov 2019, 4:23 pm   #4
Goodizzy
Pentode

Apologies! And thanks, that appears to be it!
Old 2nd Dec 2019, 11:15 am   #5
qualityten
Octode

And, I'm sorry to say that it doesn't look to be anything special.
Old 5th Dec 2019, 4:54 pm   #6
Mooly
Octode

Well I managed to persuade my parents to buy me the 10+10 when I was a youngster... and just look what that led to.

I eventually managed to get one channel working and then some time later the second channel. It was a surprisingly capable performer and stood comparison sonically with my parents B&O at the time.

The circuit was a classic five transistor quasi complementary with AD149 outputs, all in a neat folded metal chassis with wooden side panels and I think a black metal top. A smart front panel was also included. 2N3702/4 made up the other semiconductors.
Old 9th Dec 2019, 6:55 pm   #7
phykell
Tetrode

There's one on the UK eBay site at the moment:

eBay item number: 114003765126

The internals and the construction are interesting including the bridge rectifier being soldered directly to the transformer terminals. 2N3614 Germanium power transistors...

I've got a Harverson valve amplifier - it's a variant of the classic Mullard 5-10.
Old 9th Dec 2019, 8:51 pm   #8
Mooly
Octode

Wow, now that really does bring back memories. Mine was internally similar although the bridge in mine was a selenium type (although I didn't know that is what type it was at the time) and bolted to the chassis. I wonder if this one has had it replaced.

The speaker coupling caps were just 470uF and the 'treble' control was in reality just a high cut filter, no boost and cut despite the panel markings. Can't remember how the bass control was wired now tbh.

That mains switch looks a bit scary now. The outputs in mine were were AD149's and I seem to recall the single rail supply was around 28 volts DC.

Edit... I wonder if that one was supplied ready built as it looks very neatly constructed in all respects and it also has a badge on the rear panel.
Closed Thread