UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Nov 2019, 11:05 pm   #1
audiomagpie
Heptode

Default Interesting Rugby Radio Station short film

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/...Jrxc2yshEa8KBM

So much for the future....!

The site is now being developed of what will become a development of over 6000 houses.

The 'C' building as featured is listed, it's currently being converted to form part of a new comprehensive school.

BVWS committee chairman
Old 8th Nov 2019, 9:10 am   #2
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Default Re: Interesting Rugby Radio Station short film

Thanks for that Greg.
I think I have mentioned before, but there are 2 or 3 films relating to Pye on East Anglian Film Archive.
Rob
Old 8th Nov 2019, 2:01 pm   #3
hannahs radios
Hexode

That was very interesting. I had no idea Rugby had so much going on. I knew the long wave stuff was there, but didn't know they did HF as well.
Old 8th Nov 2019, 4:34 pm   #4
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

An insight into the working and operation of the Rugby Station, showing a little of what was involved. IIRC, MSF was also transmitted from there, and somewhere I may still have reception report verifications from Rugby. Slightly OT, but still relevant is that, with all the Rugby Aerials, and the BBC SW Station a few miles away at Daventry, that area was very much a part of UK Radio operations for many years. Another, now long gone, station, was the GPO one at Leafield, not far from where I live. My father always referred to that site as 'Leafield Poles!'
Old 9th Nov 2019, 1:20 pm   #5
ionburn
Heptode

I had a fantastic tour around many years ago. The chap giving us the look around gave good insight into the dangers of large signal HF transmission and organisation of worldwide relay for HF transmission (and it's organisation in the Uk too). Much of it may have been to some extent restricted at the time although of little intelligence value now.

Thanks Greg - A good reminder!

Last edited by ionburn; 9th Nov 2019 at 1:34 pm. Reason: Added to
Old 14th Nov 2019, 5:03 pm   #6
Mach One
Heptode

At the height of the Cold War I would drive past it in my Ford Cortina travelling up the M1 and have morse code beeping noises interfering with my music listening on the tape player. I was saddened to see that the forest of antennae was no longer there the last time that I did that trip (I don't do it very often...)

There must still be SOME such transmission sites still around in the UK, surely, or am I wrong?
Old 14th Nov 2019, 6:53 pm   #7

LOTS of interesting radio stuff on the BFI site, I lost most of Sunday afternoon having a "quick" peek, you have been warned!

Closed Thread