UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Aug 2020, 9:50 pm   #21
Avid_Nerdlinger
Pentode

Default Re: Russell Hobbs CP1 - old timey appliance connector

I forgot about the green light when I was testing and didn't notice it. I'm just brewing up some chicory tea in it now and it comes on while heating, flickering though, I'll have a look at the contacts. Light switched off when brewed.

The thermostat Auto123 settings are weird though, setting 1 it didn't perk, setting 2 it barely perked but got up to 95 degrees C. I retested my 3010 and it only got up to 85 degrees even though the coffee tastes good. I suppose measuring liquid temperature can be tricky what with convection currents but that's a big difference. After brewing, in keep-warm mode, it measures 92 degrees and I can hear the water starting to boil unlike the 3010 which is silent.

Cups are a sore point, they were sent on separately after being left out of the original delivery but 2 of them didn't make it, I might be able to superglue one of them. Generally feeling disappointed with this now. Maybe things will look up after I test a coffee brew tomorrow lunchtime.
Old 9th Aug 2020, 4:28 pm   #22
Avid_Nerdlinger
Pentode

Things are indeed looking up. The coffee tastes good, better than that from my 3010 which has a slightly sour taste... Also the seller insisted I take a partial refund of £10 to compensate for two cups broken in transit which covers the cost of the 2 irons and appliance connector, nice.
Old 9th Aug 2020, 8:40 pm   #23
bobbyball
Octode

Glad things are looking better - and the coffee tastes good! I must try and find where I put the other RH pot I managed to get but never had the right mains connector. Just like yours and with the "strength" setting. Having the very large "window" oin the top I spent hours as a child watching our original one "percolate". If you could please have a look, what is the rating of the heater - and indeed the pilot lamp as it must have popped in mine years back and gut chucked, the lamp holder was empty as I recall...
Old 9th Aug 2020, 9:32 pm   #24
Avid_Nerdlinger
Pentode

I couldn't find a voltage written on the bulb but the CP1 is rated at 600 watts. The voltage across the bulb holder is live/neutral and live/neutral minus the voltage dropped across a one inch coil of about 10 turns of wire... I bet it's 6.5V.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SUNP1425.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	213110  
Old 10th Aug 2020, 9:24 am   #25
bobbyball
Octode

Thanks for the information and picture!

I would imagine the bulb is as you say, I can see some writing on it in the picture but it may be just a maker's number or something. Looks like the "strength control" is adjustable, and there is some sort of slide switch on the other side - can't remember what that was supposed to do.

Anyway, it looks like your "pot" is working well now from what you say. I must try and find mine now...

Thanks again.
Old 10th Aug 2020, 10:05 am   #26
Avid_Nerdlinger
Pentode

Mine has "ever Ready 2" written on it, there's more to it but the rest is obscured by solder. I cleaned my bulb and holder with contact cleaner and it stopped flickering but now only switches on intermittently while the percolator operates correctly otherwise. The reset switch only comes into play if it boils dry and triggers the thermal cutout (I read somewhere, looks about right).
Old 10th Aug 2020, 2:15 pm   #27
bobbyball
Octode

It's possibly a 2.5v torch bulb made by "Ever Ready". I seem to recall a similar bulb in the Morphy Richards iron. Not sure of the current rating. Ahh now I remember the "switch" was indeed a thermal cutout. Looks like new in there. Even more determined to find mine now, always liked percolated coffee...