UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Aug 2020, 1:28 pm   #1
SpyroGyro92
Triode

Default EIKI RT-1 16mm Projector Lamp Issues

I need some assistance with regard to my EIKI projector.

The other day the projection lamp went dead and I got myself a replacement lamp as per the specs (ELC 24V 250W), but I still don't get an image. The new lamp works fine on another projector.

Everything else works ok, the sound is good, but as I say, the projection lamp does not turn on in this EIKI projector.

I've never previously opened up any of these machines apart from just changing arm and motor belts. So I don't have much experience here.

Any ideas as to what I can start to troubleshoot?
Old 5th Aug 2020, 1:29 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: EIKI RT-1 16mm Projector Lamp Issues

Is there a fuse? It could be that the old lamp took it out when it failed.

Nick.
Old 5th Aug 2020, 1:48 pm   #3
SpyroGyro92
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Is there a fuse? It could be that the old lamp took it out when it failed.

Nick.
Tested with a multimeter. The fuse is good.
Old 5th Aug 2020, 1:53 pm   #4
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

If it's a halogen lamp, then the base that plugs into the lamp could be the problem as they get crumbly from a hard life over time.

If you can do a bit of wiring, these can be cheaply replaced with a ceramic base plug from the once-popular (in domestic lighting) MR16 lamp.

Example, not an endorsement.

https://tinyurl.com/yysvu7a5

Although you could have a bit of fun trying to fit a 100watt LED chip in there, obviously you would have to sure the supply is DC.

Last edited by cheerfulcharlie; 5th Aug 2020 at 2:14 pm.
Old 5th Aug 2020, 2:12 pm   #5
SpyroGyro92
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulcharlie View Post
If it's a halogen lamp, then the base that plugs into the lamp could be the problem as they get crumbly from a hard life over time.

If you can do a bit of wiring, these can be cheaply replaced with a ceramic base plug from the once-popular (in domestic lighting) MR16 lamp.

Example, not an endorsement.

https://tinyurl.com/yysvu7a5
My Bell & Howell (Filmosound 2698) is similar to that. Has never given me an issue.
The EIKI though has the type of projection lamp connector where you have to slide it in. It kind of clicks when in position but I'm never quite sure if it's all in, making a good connection.
Old 5th Aug 2020, 4:13 pm   #6
emeritus
Dekatron

I had a similar problem with an 8mm Eumig projector a few years ago, and with a friend's chandelier that used 240V halogen bulbs. In both cases the contacts of the sockets were corroded. I was able to get a replacement socket for the projector from Maplin as it was only a standard halogen lamp fitting, while the chandelier was fixed by carefully probing the sockets with a round swiss file to clean the contacts.
Old 6th Aug 2020, 12:22 pm   #7
SpyroGyro92
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeritus View Post
I had a similar problem with an 8mm Eumig projector a few years ago, and with a friend's chandelier that used 240V halogen bulbs. In both cases the contacts of the sockets were corroded.
I had a closer look and that does indeed appear to be the culprit, that the contact points are corroded. It's tough to get in there though to try and lightly scrape off some of that corrosion as each contact is very close together with a tiny spring in between.
Closed Thread