UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jan 2019, 2:31 pm   #41
Scimitar
Heptode

Default Re: Switched or Unswitched Sockets for HI-FI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee View Post
The only thing I have found that makes a difference to a HiFi is the shape of the room.
It will have an astonishing effect. Moving to a new house, my system is all set up in a garden room with wooden flooring. The quality is not a patch on what is was in the old house. When I get chance, it will have carpet and heavy curtains in there to tame the bottom end a bit. It sounds like a 70s Amstrad music centre currently.
Old 14th Jan 2019, 2:32 pm   #42
Glowing Bits!
Octode

Quote:
You would have a jolly heavy HiFi if you installed SLA batteries in it.
They would have to be big enough to run the set all day and charge up again over night.
The switching would have to be on the DC side of the rectifier.
Now I've established it's for the stereo system, not the house.
It seems pointless using batteries for daytime only to still require a mains socket by night, it might as well stay plugged in instead.
Rick.
Old 14th Jan 2019, 2:33 pm   #43
Refugee
Dekatron

The layout of the walls has the greatest effect.
Old 14th Jan 2019, 2:57 pm   #44
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowing Bits! View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dai Corner View Post
Surely a huge array of batteries is a better power source than the mains?
Till it goes flat.
And therein is the rub!

If you charge the batteries from the same socket that you would have powered the amplifier, all you have done is time-shifted the problem. If the socket's going to damage the electrons, it'll damage the electrons.

The electrons stored in the battery will still be the same, second-class, chipped, squeezed, and generally socket-mutilated electrons that would have powered the amplifier direct. So the amplifier will sound exactly the same.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
Old 14th Jan 2019, 3:31 pm   #45
dr_nick
Triode

The definitive answer is clearly to rewire the house ...

https://www.psaudio.com/ps_how/how-t...cated-ac-line/

... and before anybody thinks I believe it, I have read it twice and I am not sure if this is a parody or the author believed it.

Nick.
Old 14th Jan 2019, 3:34 pm   #46
gramophone1
Pentode

I did not intend to start a flame war.

I am no audiophool either, but hifi accessories fascinate me.
Old 14th Jan 2019, 3:37 pm   #47

Best HiFi...

Decide budget,
Spent a third on going to concerts,
Chose one that sounds like the concerts,

Easy really, oops I have gone off topic selecting/making a real HiFi not foolery nonsense.

Old 14th Jan 2019, 3:39 pm   #48
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Last year, there was an enquiry on an electrical forum from an electrician who had been asked by a customer to install a dedicated circuit for a new home cinema amplifier. It was to be wired in screened 6.0mm² cable, and he flagged it up because the cable they had specified did not comply with the wiring regulations, plus the spiel they had given the customer did not make sense to him.

The massed ranks of electricians had a good chuckle, and for those who were not fully convinced that amplifiers should not be passing huge transients through the mains lead, I succesfully demonstrated playing Deep Purple or something at maximum reasonably listenable volume, via a 315mA mains fuse.

My response is always: If a difference in sound is perceptible when changing from one correctly fitted power cable or plug to another, there is a problem with the audio equipment that needs to be put right first.
Old 14th Jan 2019, 3:54 pm   #49
julie_m
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dai Corner View Post
Surely a huge array of batteries is a better power source than the mains?
Quote:
You would have a jolly heavy HiFi if you installed SLA batteries in it.
No, they would have to be disposable batteries. The charging process could affect the power delivery from a rechargeable battery. It might spoil the clarity of the "R" sounds, or worse.
Old 14th Jan 2019, 3:58 pm   #50
dr_nick
Triode

Gramophone1, apology, no intention to cause offence. Many of us like the bells and whistles - they add to our enjoyment in using the gear. I think it is just that many people feel that in the high end hifi audio world that many people good honest people are being exploited.

Several posters have correctly identified the difficulty posed re the subjective assessment of quality and hence enjoyment. If only it were a case of people honestly saying - try this it sounded better to me, but there is no good reason that it should - instead of inventing a pseudo-scientific explanation.

Nick.
Old 14th Jan 2019, 4:12 pm   #51
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramophone1 View Post
I did not intend to start a flame war.
To be honest, I don't think you have! A few of us have probably had a smile, that's all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_nick View Post
Gramophone1, apology, no intention to cause offence. Many of us like the bells and whistles - they add to our enjoyment in using the gear. I think it is just that many people feel that in the high end hifi audio world that many people good honest people are being exploited.
Accepting the fact that human hearing has both crudities and extraordinary complexities - the scientific approach is that if there really is a difference in the perceived sound, then it can be measured - and there is an explanation for it.

Much audiophool stuff has defied any attempts to measure it, or even detect it by double-blind testing.

For the current thread, there is an argument to say that a bit of extra impedance in the mains is A Good Thing. Why? Because it reduces the peak currents into the amplifier's reservoir capacitors (while broadening their duration slightly) which both gives the capacitors a slightly easier time, and means that the following-on circuitry has a slightly less-rippley DC supply to contend with. So any intermodulation with the music being played, will be less.

However, the extra impedance of the socket should in itself be too low to measure. And, even if you add 100 more sockets in series, the effect on the amplifier should still be too low to measure. If it CAN be measured, then it's a bad amplifier design anyway!
Old 14th Jan 2019, 4:28 pm   #52
Glowing Bits!
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramophone1 View Post
I am no audiophool either, but hifi accessories fascinate me.
Neither am I, I just want amps to be loud enough to start annoying the neighbours and speakers good enough to thump the floor!
To sum it up, I don't care for fancy stuff so long as the amp says "made in Japan" on it.
Rick.
Old 14th Jan 2019, 4:46 pm   #53
stevehertz
Dekatron

Man of my own heart there.
Old 14th Jan 2019, 6:21 pm   #54

One chuckles...

Old 14th Jan 2019, 7:31 pm   #55
duncanlowe
Nonode

The best improvement you can make is using gold plated connectors on absolutely everything. Especially the TOSLink optical connections. The reduction in electrical resistance on this pure optical, digitally encoded path has to be heard to be believed. The same is true of the purely digital HDMI path, where your better off spending the best part of £100 for one than the £20 ones, the man in PCWorld says so therefore it must be true. The fact that you can get the £20 cable for less than a fiver from any half decent supplier, just means that the £4 cable will be even worse than the £20 one even though its the same thing from the same manufacturer in China.**

** Terms and Conditions apply. No purchasing decisions should be made on the basis of the statements made above since they may be entirely fictitious or worse.

Oh, and yes, I have seen people flogging TOSLink cables with gold plated ends. I may even have one that was being sold off really cheap.
Old 14th Jan 2019, 7:38 pm   #56
Scimitar
Heptode

There is justification for buying decent cables, HDMI or otherwise... Build quality. I often see customers coming with RF and HDMI cables with the business end broken off. Invariably they are Tesco or Poundshop types. That's not to suggest that I endorse the ridiculous claims and prices of the famed Dixons Retail Group members. (Leopards come to mind here for some reason).
Old 14th Jan 2019, 8:15 pm   #57
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Sounds like the King'a new clothes...
What about the house consumer unit contacts, the sub station fuses and connections, the numerous connections to the pylons.

This lovely lot just along the lane from my bungalow does not appear to effect the quality of my 'Hi Fi.' Oh well if yer can make a buck out of it, why not. Regards, John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8-17 (1).jpg
Views:	168
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	176421   Click image for larger version

Name:	8-17 (2).jpg
Views:	163
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	176422   Click image for larger version

Name:	8-17 (3].jpg
Views:	148
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	176423  

Last edited by Heatercathodeshort; 14th Jan 2019 at 8:21 pm.
Old 14th Jan 2019, 8:42 pm   #58
Glowing Bits!
Octode

John, you have some nice firewood there, should keep the fire going for a week!
Rick.
Old 14th Jan 2019, 10:15 pm   #59
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Switched or Unswitched Sockets for HI-FI?

You're being far too modest, John. Surely that first photo shows the output transformer for your new amplifier, the one with push-pull Eimac 4CX15000As?

The second photo shows your new Russ Andrews underground 3-phase feeder with the acoustically superior woven outer jacket in its fetching red colour with 'clock' patterns to match your favourite socks. The filling pour for the jointing box was done in melted cones from BBC monitors.

David
Old 14th Jan 2019, 10:20 pm   #60
duncanlowe
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post
There is justification for buying decent cables, HDMI or otherwise... Build quality. I often see customers coming with RF and HDMI cables with the business end broken off. Invariably they are Tesco or Poundshop types. That's not to suggest that I endorse the ridiculous claims and prices of the famed Dixons Retail Group members. (Leopards come to mind here for some reason).
Yes I do somewhat agree. But decent quality does not equate in any way to price I'm afraid. I buy my cables from CPC mostly and haven't had a bad one yet. So much so that at work I needed a decent length HDMI. We have an RS account. Now I know that RS are known for not being the cheapest. But RS and Farnell had the same cable for around £100. CPC was around £14. Farnell and CPC are the same company, and often you get stuff from CPC in Farnell packaging. So it was well worth going our circuitous route to buy from CPC instead of RS. The £14 cable is working fine!
Closed Thread