UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jan 2019, 1:10 pm   #1
david winter
Hexode

Default Sony ICF-7800 speaker repair: any replacement known ?

Hi,

I put a hand on five ICF-7800. After cleaning the AM/FM switch they seem to work pretty well despite distorsion due to the speaker suspension which disintegrated over the years.
Is there a known repair for this, either a replacement suspension or a compatible speaker ?
Thanks in advance.
Old 9th Jan 2019, 3:10 pm   #2
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default Re: Sony ICF-7800 speaker repair: any replacement known ?

Round cone? size? Foam suspension kits are available for round cones.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Old 10th Jan 2019, 12:38 am   #3
simpsons
Octode

The Roberts RC818 also uses a similar foam edge suspension loudspeaker. It is a 3" round unit with a shallow profile. Spares were available but are not shown on the Roberts Radio spares drop down menue but a telephone call to them would confirm availability.

I am sure that you have checked out the part number 1-520-598-0, now 9-910-99-31, which will identify current availability but just in case you haven't, there are 48 other Sony radios which are listed using the same loudspeaker.

There is a SONY XDR X1DBP loudspeaker on eBay which also has foam suspension but you will need to verify suitability.

Good luck.

Last edited by simpsons; 10th Jan 2019 at 12:59 am. Reason: Additional information
Old 11th Jan 2019, 7:56 pm   #4
simpsons
Octode

David

The Sony equivalent parts list does not tell the whole story.

Looking at the service manual, courtesy of electrotanya, the ICF5800 loudspeaker is held by a cusion within the case around the large magnet whilst the equivalant part, when used, has a small magnet and is secured by the cabinet at the front in the usual way.

To cut a long story short, I have found the equivalent used part in my store, with a foam surround, but you will need to fix it in the case.

The part you can have FOC just p&p needed.

Should this help you, please advise and I will PM a photo and details.

Regards

Chris
Closed Thread