UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jan 2019, 6:38 pm   #1
akuram1
Pentode

Default Roberts New Revival R250

This is the version with the aerial at the left hand side and dial lamps when on mains power.
Does any one know how to remove the works from the cabinet on these as It looks impossible.
On the previous R250 it was just a matter of removing the side screws etc but on this one I just cannot see how it can be done. There seems to be screws which are coming from the front of the set behind the leather.
Any help would be appreciated please.
Old 7th Jan 2019, 9:17 pm   #2
pip5678
Pentode

Default Re: Roberts New Revival R250

I think there may be tiny circlips securing the strap ends, once these are taken off and the strap removed the screw ends are revealed which hold the fascia plate and circuit board into the side of the case.

The battery holder and speaker assembly are held onto the threaded screws on the front of the cabinet which you mention by a clip within a plastic surround. These are difficult to get off but if you can find a small 1/4' drive socket to fit they can sometimes be persuaded off the the screw studs by unscrewing - don't push too hard or the screw heads may force through the front covering of the speaker surround.

Hope this makes sense!
Old 7th Jan 2019, 10:40 pm   #3
akuram1
Pentode

Saw the circlips this morning and removed the strap and screws but I will investigate the rest tomorrow. Thanks so far.
Old 7th Jan 2019, 11:26 pm   #4
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I had great difficulty taking one of those apart some time ago- seen one since and don't recall how I fared when it came to removing the battery box & speaker assembly. Removing & refitting the tiny circlips was difficult enough! I have one of the older R250s which is much easier to dismantle when required!
Old 8th Jan 2019, 2:53 pm   #5
pip5678
Pentode

Yes those circlips are harder to get back (if you haven't lost them) especially on that model of Revival as there's not much clearance to get pliers in. A couple of ideas are to drill the spigot of the handle fixing and put a pin through and bend to secure or cut up a 3A chocolate block connector into the two two halves of a single brass collar removed from the insulating block, push them on the spigot and screw the clamp up.

As for the black plastic push fit clips things that fit onto the threads coming through the front of the cabinet - the caps come off them revealing the metal clip inside (a bit like a spire nut idea but fabricated as a washer) and you can persuade the 'prongs' of the 'washer' away from the thread with a small screwdriver. They will probably be unusable then but they can be replaced by a convention hex nut, M3 I think.
Old 8th Jan 2019, 7:08 pm   #6
akuram1
Pentode

Thanks for your help as I now see that the three round plastic "nuts" can be unscrewed. I will try to get them to unscrew. All I wanted to do is adjust the alignment a bit.
How did any company sanction using such a cheap tinpot idea on a radio defies belief. What a load of junk
I will probably use nuts and your idea about these stupid circlips as the one on the right looks impossible.
Old 11th Jan 2019, 10:39 pm   #7
akuram1
Pentode

I was browsing and discovered under another thread the dismantling instruction for a RD50 which looks like the same inside fixings. I will investigate as I saw no way I could get to the top two round nuts and gave up. Maybe I am just thick as I didn't even think it came out in two pieces.
Old 12th Jan 2019, 3:30 pm   #8
pip5678
Pentode

The top two fixings holding the battery holder/speaker assembly are revealed once you remove the fascia plate/knobs/circuit board assembly which is held by the two 'hollow' screws that the handle spigots go through. This assembly can sometimes be held in to some extent by residual glue from the case covering but usually comes out with some persuasion and by sliding a thin blade round the likely glue contact points.
Old 12th Jan 2019, 8:50 pm   #9
akuram1
Pentode

Just why they had to alter what was a simple job on the older R250 to this is really unbelievable. These circlips are difficult.
Closed Thread