UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jan 2019, 10:36 pm   #1
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Longevity

I have a Philco "Duet" portable record player dating from from 1957.
It uses a 2 x ECL82 + EZ80 amplifier. Apart from a bit of adjustment to the Garrard RC120/40 autochanger and the replacement of the failed electrostatic tweeter with a 3" coned unit (and sounding far superior), nothing has ever been done to the amplifier. It is completely untouched!

I also have Sound "Studio" R2R tape recorder from early 1959. Apart from some tension adjustment to the otherwise excellent Collaro "Studio" 3 speed deck, and a very early (and unexpected) replacement of an EF86 valve in 1961, the record/playback amplifier has never been touched.

Both work with very low hum and noise, smooth pots and no distortion - both after 60 years plus.

How wonderful, yet also how almost spooky, that these can just keep going on for so many decades after their intended service life.
Old 19th Jan 2019, 2:26 am   #2
unitaudio
Heptode

Default Re: Longevity

In the best traditions of "made to last" items although I suspect careful and considerate ownership plays it's part...

Regards,
Paul
Old 19th Jan 2019, 3:46 am   #3
G8UWM-MildMartin
Heptode

I often have 32-year old electronic modules, and some 40 years old, from large fixed installations in for repair at work, often not faulty - just the user calibration incorrect trying to compensate for knackered sensors, or the grease in toggle switches going solid like BSR turntable grease.
We also still make new ones as spares.
I believe this must be one of the longest production lives for any electronic product.
Old 20th Jan 2019, 1:06 pm   #4
John10b
Nonode

Were did you store these items Edward, I would think in a fairly dry and relatively warm environment?
Cheers
John
Old 20th Jan 2019, 2:29 pm   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Yes, up on the 2nd floor which is well ventilated and heated.
Old 20th Jan 2019, 3:22 pm   #6
Studio263
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8UWM-MildMartin View Post
I believe this must be one of the longest production lives for any electronic product.
I think, in audio terms, that this title is held by the BeyerDynamic DT48 headphone (which they may even still make).
Old 20th Jan 2019, 5:09 pm   #7
RojDW48
Nonode

Last night I thought I would start on the Garrard 210 TT that came with the Decca SG188 in another thread. I always try out a deck to get an idea of where to start....and it worked first time! Picked up, selected the record diameter, set down in the right place, played, auto returned and stopped. Pretty good for 1958 and unused, I would guess, for about 30 years.
Old 20th Jan 2019, 5:33 pm   #8
Techman
Dekatron

I don't think the Garrard 210 is as early as 1958 - it's a 1960s deck. If you've got one fitted in a unit that you know definitely dates from 1958, then I'd suspect that it could be someones later modification.
Old 20th Jan 2019, 5:40 pm   #9
Techman
Dekatron

The Garrard 210 was fitted into a lot of early 60s record players and I would agree that they often seem to just work perfectly without any servicing having been done.
Old 20th Jan 2019, 9:02 pm   #10
RojDW48
Nonode

Spot on, Phil. I had a look at the spec again and it should have been an RC121 - and now I can see the mounting board has been modified. I have just finished giving it a little service and it's happy at all speeds and sizes of records. I love watching these old things autochange !!
Old 21st Jan 2019, 8:45 am   #11
crackle
Rest in Peace

I sometimes feel the modern generation think they invented recycling. They are obsessed with recycling their uneaten food, packaging and other rubbish.
Yet when it comes to electrical goods they are happy to throw them away, I dont suppose much useful happens to the electrical goods taken to the recycling depots. They are probably not repaired, which would be the most efficient use of our dwindling resources and energy.
My philosophy is, if it is broke, have a valiant attempt to fix it before dumping it.

I have just repaired a 16 month old Microwave oven which would otherwise have been thrown away. The problem was just a blown fuse in the HT circuit. Probable cause a week fuse, as the other components tested OK.
Manufacturers could play a large part in making their equipment serviceable and easily repaired like things used to be.
Attitudes need to change.

Mike

Last edited by crackle; 21st Jan 2019 at 8:54 am.
Old 21st Jan 2019, 9:25 am   #12
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Did you charge a reasonable rate for the labour and a suitable markup on the fuse? There is another thread about this problem.
I agree attitudes have to change but getting consumers to pay more for an item to have spares and repair services available will not be easy.
Old 22nd Jan 2019, 1:38 am   #13
Fidelity Fan
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackle View Post
I sometimes feel the modern generation think they invented recycling. They are obsessed with recycling their uneaten food, packaging and other rubbish.
Yet when it comes to electrical goods they are happy to throw them away, I dont suppose much useful happens to the electrical goods taken to the recycling depots. They are probably not repaired, which would be the most efficient use of our dwindling resources and energy.
My philosophy is, if it is broke, have a valiant attempt to fix it before dumping it.

I have just repaired a 16 month old Microwave oven which would otherwise have been thrown away. The problem was just a blown fuse in the HT circuit. Probable cause a week fuse, as the other components tested OK.
Manufacturers could play a large part in making their equipment serviceable and easily repaired like things used to be.
Attitudes need to change.
The trouble is these days, manufacturers. seem to make everything difficult to repair whether it be smartphones, laptops or cars. On the subject of cars, I was recently reading that changing an headlight bulb on many recent models is a massive job, as the bumper has to come off and a garage has to change it. It can cost up to £250.00. On many older cars it was ten minutes of a job.

I would wager that around 80% of faults with electrical equipment are down to failed electrolytic capacitors. This has been made worse with more use of switched mode power supplies. I remember in the early 1990s how unreliable VCRs became when manufacturers moved away from good old mains transformers.

Electrical equipment should be made to be repaired in this age and not sent to landfill.

As for me, I don't have a smartphone and don't want one. I was a lot happier in the 1980s and 1990s when we didn't have all this technology and would go back there if I could.
Old 22nd Jan 2019, 8:36 am   #14
Ekcoman
Heptode

Thing that narks me is, is how those good manufactures of decent quality players of the 50/60s have had their names hi-jacked. BUSH one example who made those lovely SRP30s which many of which have survived for half a century, are now linked to those awful Chinese made light weight plastic stereo machines that are unlikely to see out one decade.
Old 22nd Jan 2019, 10:41 am   #15
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio263 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8UWM-MildMartin View Post
I think, in audio terms, that this title is held by the BeyerDynamic DT48 headphone (which they may even still make).
That first went into prduction in 1937, it seems, and it was still on the go in 2011 https://www.innerfidelity.com/conten...dt-48-e-25-ohm.

As far as electronics goes, the longest-lived that I'm aware of is the Dynakit ST-70 stereo amp. That was launched in 1959 and definitely is still in production 60 years later https://www.dynakitparts.com/shop/st-70-kit-240-vac/. Manfred Stein at Quad Musikwiedergabe used to offer newly-built Quad II amps (originally launched 1953) but they were custom builds I believe, rather than stock items.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 22nd Jan 2019, 11:15 am   #16
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
Did you charge a reasonable rate for the labour and a suitable markup on the fuse? There is another thread about this problem.
I agree attitudes have to change but getting consumers to pay more for an item to have spares and repair services available will not be easy.
These days, paying a premium for what you would hope to be a better product, turns out to be a disappointing failure. I don't think on the whole there is much difference.
Towards the twilight days of the shop I found it rather odd that an increasing number of customers [usually the younger]were almost pleased when electrical items broke down.
It created the perfect excuse to buy the latest gizmo.The odd thing was that they were often the least likely to be able to afford the replacement.

Storage is everything with this old equipment. Damp is the devil and usually wins in the end. John.
Old 22nd Jan 2019, 2:52 pm   #17
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
These days, paying a premium for what you would hope to be a better product, turns out to be a disappointing failure. I don't think on the whole there is much difference.
Towards the twilight days of the shop I found it rather odd that an increasing number of customers [usually the younger]were almost pleased when electrical items broke down.
It created the perfect excuse to buy the latest gizmo.The odd thing was that they were often the least likely to be able to afford the replacement.

Storage is everything with this old equipment. Damp is the devil and usually wins in the end. John.
I agree with John on all his points, certainly regarding the T.V trade.

Another irritating thing I have noticed, now being retired, is that people who I barely know, or know only through an intermediary will turn up with a piece of modern (and as usual virtually irrepairable) gear, and ask me to "fix it" for them, usually without the courtesy of a "please" or "Thankyou" with the implication they they are doing me a favour by giving me something to occupy my supposedly vast amounts of spare time. The implication is that I will do this entirely at no cost to themselves. The abrupt refusal often suprises them.

Regarding the paragraph I have emphasised, the reason they buy things they cannot afford, is because they are poor, often due to buying things they cannot afford.

Damp storage is truly the worst enemy of old gear in storage, as it permeates to deepest parts, and therefore causing much invisible damage, both mechanical and electrical. Tony
Old 22nd Jan 2019, 3:19 pm   #18
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxdoctor View Post

Another irritating thing I have noticed, now being retired, is that people who I barely know, or know only through an intermediary will turn up with a piece of modern (and as usual virtually irrepairable) gear, and ask me to "fix it" for them, usually without the courtesy of a "please" or "Thankyou" with the implication they they are doing me a favour by giving me something to occupy my supposedly vast amounts of spare time. The implication is that I will do this entirely at no cost to themselves. The abrupt refusal often suprises them.
Funny you should say that, I have had exactly the same type of request. I don't think they actually mean it in the way that it comes over. I don't mind spending time on my own old junk, but not so keen when it's someone else's. Sometimes people will say they'll pay what it costs for the repair - I'm not interested in earning extra money, if I was then I'd have stayed at work! However, I have to confess that I am sometimes tempted by a 'trade' of some other vintage item or items in exchange for a repair - not so good as I end up with even more old clutter!
Old 22nd Jan 2019, 3:30 pm   #19
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
I also have Sound "Studio" R2R tape recorder from early 1959. Apart from some tension adjustment to the otherwise excellent Collaro "Studio" 3 speed deck, and a very early (and unexpected) replacement of an EF86 valve in 1961, the record/playback amplifier has never been touched.
I also have a 'Sound' tape recorder with a Collaro deck from the late 50s that I bought sometime around 69/70 ish, and after decades out of use stored in lofts, it just needed a little oil here and there to get if fully functioning when I dug it out again. I replaced one or two critical Hunts paper capacitors, but I have to be honest and say that it was actually quite happy running on all its original components without any noticeable stress, so probable didn't need them replacing for the little use it was likely to ever get.
Old 22nd Jan 2019, 4:12 pm   #20
Refugee
Dekatron

I reject lap tops on sight because the owners of the pesky things will expect me to provide what appears to be a life time guarantee on the repair.
I always advise that they are BER at that is the most honest thing to do with such unreliable modern items. They are truly BER as soon as there is the slightest thing wrong as they will be back with a faulty screen a week later if you attempt a repair.
They are worse than flat screen TVs.
Closed Thread