UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jan 2019, 11:46 am   #41
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Rusbridge's Auctions: 4 for 2019

As I said on Saturday night, I couldn't make it because of family commitments in the south, unfortunately. I'll also be missing a rare gig in Rammy by one of my favourite bands as well but when you have two locations, you have to be philosophical about this sort of thing in the end! I usually get my "ducks in a row" but on this occasion they got shot.

Ironically, I was in Chorley only a couple of months ago to pick up a RG from a Forum member. What a great "Mission Statement" from Rob there. If anybody can establish a Northern event it's him! I think you may have a point about wider advertising Andy but " a box of valves" is a pretty general description in use at all the auctions. There is only so much you can do in preparation and more detail often leads to more time consuming-often futile enquiries. A chap,once refused my offer on some valves he was selling and then rang back a few weeks later [a bit shame faced] saying "I'll take your price, you were right, I was bombarded with enquiries but sold nothing and I'm exhausted!"

Lots of Forum members are miles away from any events at all so I'm surprised that your friends [living locally] were put off from popping over for a look. It's handy to have a catalogue [especially if you're at a distance] but not essential.

Dave W
Old 15th Jan 2019, 12:31 pm   #42
RobRusbridge
Retired Dormant Member

Advertising. Yes. Quite agree. I'll put some effort into that now.
Old 15th Jan 2019, 12:59 pm   #43
terry123
Pentode

I'd just like to add my thanks to Rob for a very well orginised day. Robs auctionering skills and wee anecdotes also rasied a smile or two along the way. I came away with a number items at very reasonable cost.

I also know, and can well appreciate how much work would have gone into staging this event and it was a shame to see some decent sets going unsold through lack of interest.

I would echo other here as regarding better advertising but this is in no way a criticism - I knew it was happening for a good while. By the way, the BVWS offer very good advertising rates Rob!

I travelled down from Martini-Yates Towers in Rosyth, Scotland a mere 3 hours each way and had a thoroughly enjoyable day and was back in time for my dinner at 7pm that evening.

Look forward in getting to the next one.

Appreciated Rob
Old 15th Jan 2019, 1:16 pm   #44
stitch1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0FYA Andy View Post
Some constructive criticism. I have three pals living locally who decided not to attend because the catalogue was only available at the last minute, and wasn't very informative - 'box of valves' isn't very helpful. They also commented that if I hadn't told them about it they wouldn't have been aware of it. Better advertising needed, please, including in the BVWS magazine.
Hopefully we'll be there at the next one!
Andy
I would have thought living locally and having limited description in the catalogue would have attracted your pals not the opposite, they may have missed bargains others weren't alerted too

It's still a bit of a trek for me but the effort made to bring an auction north is much appreciated, I intend to be there for the June one when I can make a weekend of it.

John
Old 15th Jan 2019, 1:19 pm   #45
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Would have been there too, but 16,040 miles round trip is too much to ask Rob.

We will support when back in UK, glad you had a good day.
Thanks for your continued efforts.
Sam
Old 15th Jan 2019, 1:47 pm   #46
RobRusbridge
Retired Dormant Member

Don't worry, folks, you're allowed to be "otherwise engaged" - especially if, like Boater Sam, you're somewhere properly exotic like the Philippines. Let's be honest here, if you're not feeling well, you don't want to be on a Lancashire hill-side in the wild weather, or if you're somewhere far away which gets sunshine, diagonal sheets of rain are as impractical as they are unattractive. My expectation is more on the level of going to the auction being more entertaining than sitting at home watching the raindrops run down the window. I have to admit that I once skipped a local "antiques and fine art" auction (offering a very attractive estimate on a horn-topped gramophone) so I could stay home and unblock the drain under the kitchen sink and change a toilet seat. We know how to live the high life here in Cornwall.
Old 15th Jan 2019, 5:45 pm   #47
Murphy Maniac
Hexode

Really glad all went well for you Rob, got back from Amsterdam this afternoon and feel really miffed that I had to miss what looked, from the pictures, like a really interesting line up of sets/projects. I will certainly not be missing any future events if it can be at all avoided.
Very Best Wishes, and thanks for supporting us here in the North.
Old 25th Feb 2019, 6:48 pm   #48
RobRusbridge
Retired Dormant Member

The next sale is at Radnage hall (HP14 4DJ) (near High Wycombe) on Sunday 7th April. The countdown has begun. Strike while the unusual weather is hot, and see if you can find something in one of those sheds or garages which can go under the hammer on 7th April.

Entry forms downloadable from http://www.steamradios.com as are the results of the previous sale "up north".

If you have time, please spread the word to those who don't use this forum because we don't really have the money for fancy advertising at this stage!

I'll be needing a couple of volunteers to help set up on Saturday 6th April too. No need for huge levels of previous experience. Also most important, we'll need a "kitchen helper" for Sunday 7th; those pasties don't warm themselves. Here again no need for huge experience. Sandwiches pre-packed, pasties oven ready so it's just the teas and coffees to brew. I have the Food Hygiene for Retail certificate so you don't need one!

Lot one is already entered. It's a 1947 Peto Scott H52 with the original bill of sale; it's a local-interest piece having started life in High Wycombe.
Old 1st Mar 2019, 6:33 pm   #49
RobRusbridge
Retired Dormant Member

It's gone very quiet. Can you hear me, mother?

No entries for the auction on 7th April at Radnage, except the very first lot.

And one lot doesn't make an auction.

Anyone intending to come? Anyone got any old gear for sale?
Old 2nd Mar 2019, 12:38 pm   #50
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I'm sorry I can't help with regard to Radnage, as it is the wrong end of the country for me, but I will try to put together some lots for Hoghton in June.

I hope things pick up for Radnage in the next few weeks though.
Old 4th Mar 2019, 8:16 pm   #51
RobRusbridge
Retired Dormant Member

Update. Both Radnage "Down South" auctions have had to be CANCELLED due to circumstances beyond our control. Sorry for the let-down. THE AUCTION APRIL 7th IS OFF!

The North auction is still very much going ahead on June 9th.
Old 9th Mar 2019, 10:40 am   #52
trh01uk
Octode

Are you able to say why the 7th April auction is off? Was it lack of sellers - or some personal reason (which I am not asking you to specify)?

Richard
Old 9th Mar 2019, 11:08 am   #53
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Rob gave some information in this thread: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=154595

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 9th Mar 2019, 11:54 am   #54
trh01uk
Octode

Yes - thank you Paul. I can see this isn't a good time for auctions!
Closed Thread