UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jan 2021, 9:52 pm   #21
sobell1980
Octode

Default Re: Help identify car radio model

Hello all. I have downloaded the Radiomobile 922T technical data/ service info from this site. Ive compared the PCB'S from the service info and diagrams to the set infront of me. All the components layouts cross reference precisely to the diagram and pcb shapes, pin terminals.
Also doing further research, Jaguar used Radiomobile only, this is the only set that incorporated an inbuilt amp not a separate type. Anything other than Radiomobile was considered an aftermarket fit. The article also goes onto say that especially in USA motorola did do some clever branding! So perhaps this is why there is an upside down M in the display? The car it came from was also definitely from the USA.
Old 27th Jan 2021, 4:52 pm   #22
Tonypam
Triode

This is a Motorola 616T dating from around 1965-66.

These were made by World Radio Ltd in London under license from Motorola USA. This particular set is definately the 616T as you can see the two AD142 output transistors at the rear of the set. The single transistor lower powered model is the 515T. They are very similar to the 717/818T LW and MW range of Motorola sets made for the UK market. The 515/616T sets are MW only as the USA didnt use the Longwave band. I am not sure weather these were exported to the US to be fitted as aftermarket, or batches were ordered by the Jaguar Coventry factory to be fitted to US spec cars prior to export. An earlier poster was quite correct in that the chassis, components and boards etc were shared with Radiomobile sets ( 900/920/970/980 ) as well as later 727/828 badged Motorola sets. They are very attractive nice sounding sets.
Old 27th Jan 2021, 6:31 pm   #23
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
Looks far more like the Motorola from a quick image search.

Likely a 515T or 616T depending on whether SE or P-P output- these are MW only versions of the 717T / 818T.

Nice to get confirmation!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 31st Jan 2021, 9:06 pm   #24
sobell1980
Octode

Good evening all

Thank you so much for identifying this set as a Motorola 616T. Especially to Herald1360 and Tony.pam . Also to everyone else who has contributed. I like to think I was close with my Radiomobile guess. The circuit boards and layout of components were identical to whats infront of me but I hadn't got around to checking the components values. I will purchase the correct service data from up top. This makes much more sense after seeing the upside down M in the tuning display. The choke on the power input seems to have got hot. But also the capacitors legs were tight against the chokes insulation /covering. Im wondering if its possible the caps legs have worn through and shorted. I can't see anything else on the set that has got hot.
Old 31st Jan 2021, 9:19 pm   #25
sobell1980
Octode

I will carry out some cold checks on the set to identify any possible shorts.
Old 31st Jan 2021, 10:16 pm   #26
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Looking at the data the Radiomobile 922T and Motorola 818 are very similar with at least some PCBs identical. So obviously from the same factory at the same time.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 1st Feb 2021, 5:02 pm   #27
PaulR
Dekatron

One of the slightly easier ones to work on if it's the one I am thinking about. Many have such tightly packed, inaccessible boards that they are almost impossible to repair, particularly when you are trying to get at AF117 transistors.
Old 9th Feb 2021, 1:59 pm   #28
sobell1980
Octode

Will I get away with bypassing the inline choke temporarily that has got hot from the original pictures I posted? Just to see if I can get the set working? Its literally on the power inlet as it enters the set.
Old 9th Feb 2021, 4:00 pm   #29
Herald1360
Dekatron

Yes- it's only there to stop noise from the car's 12V supply getting into the set and interfering with the radio signal.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 10th Feb 2021, 11:13 am   #30
sobell1980
Octode

Marvellous, I thought it was a noise filter but wanted to be sure it played no integral part with anything else. It will probably end up being mounted in home made console to be enjoyed, so probably won't be going back in a car.
Old 10th Feb 2021, 2:13 pm   #31
Herald1360
Dekatron

If you use it indoors, you might find that using a tuned loop aerial (large aircored or small ferrite rod type) gives much less interference pickup than the car type rod or a few feet of wire aerial.

If you live in an isolated house with little or no switchmode powered stuff, this may not be needed!
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread