UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Sep 2012, 3:41 pm   #1
telstar
Octode

Default Removing stubborn knob brights

Hi. On my Murphy A574 radio, I noticed that on one plastic control knob, one of the brights was reversed (with the "dimple" pointing inwards). Is there anything that I can remove this bright from the knob (without damage) with, as it is well stuck down? In the present state, the set looks a bit odd in appearance.
Cheers
Mike
Old 10th Sep 2012, 4:01 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Removing stubborn knob brights

Hi Mike,

A soak in warm water, then a sharp tug using a piece of "Duck" tape or similar might do the trick.

Nick.
Old 10th Sep 2012, 4:38 pm   #3
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Failing Nicks idea try putting it in freezer overnight, if any water has got behind the bright it may expand and help you. I would also recommend the Duck tape but after a night in the freezer condensation is a real problem but it is possible.
Good luck, John.
Ps. Brights only come loose when you are not looking and get lost!
Old 10th Sep 2012, 9:06 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 oldjohn View Post
Brights only come loose when you are not looking and get lost!
Yes, put it in a cupboard and they'll all be off (and down the cracks between the floorboards) by the time you get it out.
Old 10th Sep 2012, 10:43 pm   #5
Refugee
Dekatron

The freezer method can be enhanced.
Get an old pickle jar and fit a connector that will take a tube from an old pushbike pump with the washer turned over. This will suck the air from under the bright. With the knob covered with water this will fill the gap behind it. Put it in the freezer for a couple of hours and it should be out or at least ready for another go. You will if you have seen bubbles while drawing the air out be able to see that it is part of the way out or better. Dry it for a couple of days before you continue restoration.
Old 11th Sep 2012, 12:43 am   #6
PaulE27
Pentode

What about freezer spray? It would be much quicker.

Paul
Old 11th Sep 2012, 1:59 am   #7
Refugee
Dekatron

Cost but the important bit is getting some water behind it.
Old 11th Oct 2012, 9:27 am   #8
petertheorgan
Hexode

There is a way that has always worked for me and I have used it for other things that are stuck fast too . In fact I used it last night to remove two knob brights as I wanted to clean them up and use them in different knobs .

Place the offending knob in a mug or glass and 3/4 fill with water , place in microwave and " cook" untill the water is boiling , normally you will then find the bright is on the bottom of the mug / glass.

I believer this to be the combination of the heat and the microwaves softening the glue
I hope this is helpful

Peter
Closed Thread