UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Oct 2018, 10:16 am   #1
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Aurora Faulty

I think my Aurora has developed a fault this morning.

It will display the test card C but when I plugged a DVD player into it, the led kept flashing and the test card did not switch over to the DVD video.

I then tried it on a PAL colour bar generator; the led went solid and the results are in the video below.

The DVD player and cables are fine.

The movie clip shows the colour bars from my generator, they seem to slowly clock up the screen and from right to left. Moving the leads back to the DVD player and it reverts to the inbuilt test card C, ignores the player completely.

Wonder if it's a quick fix or something major.

https://youtu.be/tPIhffYcNmM

PS its an SCRF-405A rev 1.1/1.8

Last edited by McMurdo; 25th Oct 2018 at 10:45 am.
Old 25th Oct 2018, 10:50 am   #2
D Cassidy
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Aurora Faulty

DVD displaying an NTSC disc or switched to NTSC?
Colour bar generator not to proper 625 line standard or faulty?
Old 25th Oct 2018, 11:41 am   #3
peter_scott
Dekatron

See: https://golbornevintageradio.co.uk/f...id=7083&page=3
Old 25th Oct 2018, 12:38 pm   #4
McMurdo
Dekatron

It's not a labgear pattern generator, it's a Blackstar Orion, though I have no idea if it's interlaced or not. I only used that because it wouldn't recognise the DVD player.

The aurora was working a couple of days ago at home when viewing a Freeview box on a TV12, and this morning I took it to work to test the TV53 which I'm restoring in the video. I had to hunt for a DVD player which I've never tried on the aurora before, though it works fine into the composite input on my old Panasonic colour portable. The disc is an original BBC comedy compedium.

I wonder if there's something odd about the DVD player output.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	orion.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	171514  
Old 25th Oct 2018, 1:08 pm   #5
buggies
Heptode

Page 2 of the manual on the radiomuseum site says:-
"System: Non-interlaced."
Old 25th Oct 2018, 2:21 pm   #6
McMurdo
Dekatron

Thanks! I never had the manual.

Managed to find another DVD player, and...after a bout of the aurora flickering and flashing then putting the led on steadily, it changed over to video and actually worked.
I noticed when putting the 'problem' dvd player back, the LED on the aurora sometimes fades in and out rather than flashes...never seen this before. Yes the PSU is ok!

(edit: a slowly fading led, which the manual describes as 'pulsating' is just sleep mode because it got tired of waiting for a valid video signal. You live & learn).

https://youtu.be/ncsEkqsyqmk

Last edited by McMurdo; 25th Oct 2018 at 2:33 pm.
Old 25th Oct 2018, 9:58 pm   #7
Sideband
Dekatron

That looks like an extremely good TV53! We had one of those many moons ago except the tube was on very borrowed time....it had a boost transformer on maximum boost and the CRT lit up like a lamp.......
Old 25th Oct 2018, 11:03 pm   #8
McMurdo
Dekatron

Cheers, just got to attend to the usual intermittent valve holders etc. Might do a write up in another thread!

Perplexing about the aurora vs the DVD player. Wondering if I burn a DVD-R of some colour bars, play it and then scope the DVD output to see why the aurora spat its dummy.