UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Mar 2015, 2:09 pm   #1
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Aurora works well on six volts.

I'm trying out two new Aurora SCRF405 standards converters on a six volt supply. No problems whatsoever. The power suppliers are from defunct Pace Freeview boxes, the very early strange shaped unit that was made not long after the introduction of digital TV in the UK.

DFWB.
Old 22nd Mar 2015, 12:36 pm   #2
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Re: Aurora works well on six volts.

As a follow to my last post about operating the Aurora on a 6 volts supply. Although it would appear the converter will operate on such a low supply voltage, it is unwise to do so. Nine volts is the recommended supply.

The reasons for not operating the Aurora on less than 9 volts is explained here: http://forum.radios-tv.co.uk/viewtop...112939#p112939

DFWB.
Old 25th Mar 2015, 11:16 pm   #3
kan_turk
Hexode

I run my auroras off stabilised 7.5v with no problems - I found that at 9v they run hotter than I would like - I also use external heat sinking on 'F' connectors which I have found to be very effective.
I appreciate that some may regard this as overkill but I believe it helps if equipment is run as cool as possible

John
Old 26th Mar 2015, 5:10 am   #4
julie_m
Dekatron

I think you got lucky running it from a 6 V supply; the regulator is just on the bounds of its sensible operating region. If you were on a real milliwatt-saving trip, you could get a 5V regulated switched-mode plug-top PSU and bypass the Aurora's regulator. Using a micro-USB connector for the regulated supply would reduce the risk of plugging in an incorrect PSU.
Old 26th Mar 2015, 10:59 pm   #5
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I use a switched linear psu on mine and find that I get a 9v output to the aurora with the PSU switched to 7.5v output.The Aurura now runs much cooler and it's nice to know that I am feeding it the correct voltage.
Old 26th Mar 2015, 11:50 pm   #6
mark pirate
Dekatron

Although you can run the Aurora at 12v, it is much happier at 9v. I run mine on a good quality regulated supply. The voltage under load is was 8.9 volts.
The cooler it runs the longer it will last!

Mark
Closed Thread