UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jun 2012, 10:09 pm   #1
Magic Eye
Pentode

Default KB ER30 cabinet

Hi
I thought that whilst I had the chassis out of this set I would do some work on the cabinet which is a little rough.
I had to pin and glue back one of the side panels which had come adrift from base in one corner, it looked as it had been dropped at some point. The cabinet will need refinishing eventually and there are some other problems to sort before I can do that.

It looks like there are some bits of ply missing from the top edge of the cabinet at the back. Is it best to just fill this with wood filler and stain it when the time comes?
There are some bits of ply or veneer missing from the bottom of both side panels which look painted. What would be the best thing to do here?

What sort of finish was used for the side panels (which are black) and the front (dark brown).

Lastly for the moment the are no feet to the cabinet, just 4 circles recessed into the bottom with holes for screws. Was felt used or rubber feet?

Any help appreciated

thanks
Jon
Old 12th Jun 2012, 7:09 pm   #2
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Default Re: KB ER30 cabinet

Might be a good idea to post pictures.
It is always best to replace missing wood with wood if possible .
Old 13th Jun 2012, 8:59 pm   #3
Magic Eye
Pentode

I've uploaded 3 pics, one shows the ply missing from the top back edge, the next shows the corner that I stuck back that is missing a chunk of wood and the third shows the bottom of the other side panel where veneer/ply is missing.

thanks
Jon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6120122.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	67623   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6120118 (2).jpg
Views:	171
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	67624   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6120113 (2).jpg
Views:	155
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	67625  
Old 13th Jun 2012, 10:57 pm   #4
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

It depends on how good you want it to look. The end grain missing pice could be done with filler and stained. Filler could work on the rest as it is very dark finished, if refinished the same after stripping. But if it is not a paint finish but a dark stain, then it would be better to let in new pieces of timber and veneer.
Old 14th Jun 2012, 11:29 pm   #5
Magic Eye
Pentode

Thanks for the advice. Although I am a bit of a novice at cabinet repairs I do feel that letting in new wood is a better idea. But does anyone know whether the finish is painted or stained. Not sure I can tell
Old 16th Jun 2012, 1:09 pm   #6
brenellic2000
Octode

Difficult to tell, but usually it was a direct stain (oil based) or a clear coat over-sprayed to give a more uniform finish. It really is a case of finding a simliar grain and testing with different stains, laquers etcs, building up as necessary. Sometimes whetting the area with turpentine first helps. It is literally a case of suck it (methaphorically!) and see.

You'll never get a perfect match but you can help lose it by using a veneer punch to get a wobbly outline patch - it is a bit of pain in the posterior, but that's veneers for you.

Barry
Old 18th Jun 2012, 1:15 pm   #7
crackle
Rest in Peace

Hi Jon
I got your PM.
The ER30 I have has what appear to be sides which are painted gloss black. The horizontal bars across the speaker grill are also gloss black.
On some other KB sets I have used acrylic spray paint, the sort you can get from Halfords or even better from boot sales where I have bought dome 500ml cans for £3.
The front looks like it is a clear lacquer over stained veneer.
The feet are felt pads which are fitted in holes, but mine are worn down flush with the wood.
There are some photos of this model on the RMorg site, including my one which is the lighter one. http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/kolsterbr_er30er_3.html
If you would like any specific photos to help you please let me know.
Mike
Old 18th Jun 2012, 7:43 pm   #8
gezza123
Heptode

Hi, Jon, As in my Pm,here is a picture of the one that I had.
Sadley gone to scrap as the wiffy did not like the wood pecker holes.
Hope it helps.Gezza
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kbe30.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	67776  
Old 20th Jun 2012, 11:22 pm   #9
Magic Eye
Pentode

Thanks all for your advice- I think it's now down to me to do a bit of experimenting!

cheers
Jon
Old 21st Nov 2012, 12:12 am   #10
Magic Eye
Pentode

Not sure if this is the right thread, however said ER30 also has spots of gloss paint on the dial, as if someone has been decorating around it! Does anyone know an effective way of getting this off- it looks as if it's been there for years.

thanks
Jon
Old 21st Nov 2012, 9:34 am   #11
mark pirate
Dekatron

My method of removing paint spots from the dial glass is as follows:
Remove the dial glass and lay it flat on some soft cloth, use a 2 pence piece at an angle to carefully scrape away the worst of the paint spots, then polish with T-cut to remove the remaining paint, it should come up like new.

Take care to hold it still when scraping /polishing, as it is all to easy to damage the dial markings on the rear of the dial glass, if yours looks a bit fragile, leave it in situ and use a tiny amount of paint stripper and a cloth, be carefull not to get any on the cabinet.

Mark
Old 22nd Nov 2012, 12:04 am   #12
Magic Eye
Pentode

Thanks for the advice Mark.
I think I will take out the glass as the reverse needs a clean anyway, also the bits of rubber around the holding clips have perished.

cheers
Jon
Closed Thread