UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Apr 2021, 9:12 pm   #21
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: WD40. Spawn of the devil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL View Post
So what is WD40 actually good at? The only time I use it is to spray on shed fittings and other garden metalwork as a rust inhibitor. It is pretty useless as a lubricant, penetrating oil, or water repellent. GT85 is far better for cleaning or repelling water as it is a very light oil that does not degrade into a sticky mess.
I'll bet that you have no data (measurements) at all to support your evaluation, but I'm sure that you totally believe, that what you say, represents your personal subjective experience.

B
Old 5th Apr 2021, 9:21 pm   #22
ITAM805
Nonode

I use it to remove heatsink grease, a job it does well, then a clean up with a tissue wetted with a little IPA to remove the oily residue
Old 5th Apr 2021, 9:22 pm   #23
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL View Post
So what is WD40 actually good at? The only time I use it is to spray on shed fittings and other garden metalwork as a rust inhibitor. It is pretty useless as a lubricant, penetrating oil, or water repellent. GT85 is far better for cleaning or repelling water as it is a very light oil that does not degrade into a sticky mess.

Back to our hobby I use it to clean old solidified grease before wiping down and lubricating properly.

When we were servicing x-ray machines it was also good for removing black scuff marks on the painted surfaces.

Peter
Old 5th Apr 2021, 9:31 pm   #24
Scott5591
Tetrode

I don’t agree that it’s useless as a lubricant, the best? Most definitely not but it’s relatively cheap and easy to find.

Like other people have said I think it gets so much hate because it’s marketed as being useful on “absolutely everything” when it clearly is a huge no no on anything electrical.

When I’ve used it the screws haven’t really been rusty as such, just seized up from being too tight for such a long period of time.
Old 5th Apr 2021, 9:53 pm   #25
Richard_FM
Nonode

I found it helped when I had to remove a twist in halogen light bulb which had got stuck into it's fitting. The contacts had oxidised together & a careful squirt of WD40 soon freed it.

As other posts mention it's assumed to be a cure-all for tasks that have better dedicated products available.
Old 5th Apr 2021, 10:03 pm   #26
Spec-chum
Tetrode

I read somewhere that it's good for cleaning that black gooey mess off pulleys and flywheels, when you have old belts turned to licorice in vintage equipment. Followed by a good wipe of IPA afterwards of course. It's fondly referred to in my shed as R2-D2's aftershave.
Old 5th Apr 2021, 10:15 pm   #27
Cobaltblue

As everything has been said about this product and predictably attracted too many automotive posts it's time to put this can away until the next time.

Cheers

Mike T
Closed Thread