UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Mar 2021, 5:03 pm   #1
swampstomper
Triode

Default 1966 Phonomaster Diplomat suitcase record player w/BSR UA25 turntable

Hi there from Central Florida!

I picked up a1966 Phonomaster Diplomat suitcase record player w/BSR UA25 turntable last weekend at a yard sale for $4.00. I've looked around the Internet and found a photo of this player on an Etsy page, but that was apparently sold. I would like to find out more about the unit and put it to use in the future.

The player itself seems to be in good condition for having been used as an end table by the previous owner. I will post some pictures later. The player turns and works, the idler wheel is flexible and looks to be in good shape, other than the overarm limit pin being gone (broken off) along with the little curved stylus skid plate that is missing, I think I have a serviceable turntable once it is lubed with lots of WD-40 (as recommended by the fellow in the video ) all should be well with the mechanical part of the show.
The built in transistor amplifier, is another story, no sound, not even a hum.

Inside the case was a loose paper sticker/tag that has a range of numbers stamped on it. I am thinking that since the numbers do not seem to reference the turntable, they might be referencing the amplifier. I can only remember the first set of numbers being PS-1197. I will provide pictures later.

So, here is the question, has anyone else heard of or have any info about this player?
Old 30th Mar 2021, 6:06 pm   #2
Kentode
Octode

Default Re: 1966 Phonomaster Diplomat suitcase record player w/BSR UA25 turntable

WD40 is not what you want. Use a solvent to remove the old grease and lubricate with fresh grease.

Welcome to the forum.

The trader sheet for the deck is available top right. Ask lots of questions and you'll get lots of help.

BVWS member
Old 30th Mar 2021, 6:55 pm   #3
swampstomper
Triode

Default Re: 1966 Phonomaster Diplomat suitcase record player w/BSR UA25 turntable

Thanks Kentode!
I will see what I can find there.
The WD-40 remark is a sort of joke, I watched a video by I think it was Darren, who has posted an extensive troubleshooting section on the UA25 and in the video he remarks that "WD-40 will cure all that ails you..." Just like in the movie Big Fat Greek Wedding does with Windex. I am not a big fan of WD-40, but it does have its uses. I plan to use sewing machine oil and new tech silicone grease once I have it cleaned up.
Old 30th Mar 2021, 7:03 pm   #4
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampstomper View Post
I have a serviceable turntable once it is lubed with lots of WD-40 (as recommended by the fellow in the video )
NO NO!!! You won't have a reliably working player if you use that stuff!!!

Search these forums for the CORRECT way to do it!
Old 30th Mar 2021, 9:22 pm   #5
swampstomper
Triode

Relax, I'm kidding!
Old 30th Mar 2021, 10:34 pm   #6
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Relax, I'm kidding!
That's a relief!! We have had a number of members use WD40 before.....!
Old 31st Mar 2021, 7:38 am   #7
Kentode
Octode

There isn't much information about this on the internet so your pictures will help others.

If you are planning to open up it up, take lots of pictures in a good light especially of the PCB (both sides) and we'll soon get it fixed.

Good luck.

BVWS member
Old 31st Mar 2021, 2:41 pm   #8
swampstomper
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
Quote:
Relax, I'm kidding!
That's a relief!! We have had a number of members use WD40 before.....!
Here is the video I watched from the Radio Workshop, which is very informative and thorough.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwQd6YpnU5U
Other than the WD-40 information, I have learned quite a bit about the UA25 from him.
I plan to use sewing machine oil and a synthetic teflon grease once I get it cleaned up.
Prior to discovering this forum, I found on eBay an original service manual that will arrive in a couple of days, I look forward to perusing it and getting some of the terminology correct.
I had a few minutes last night and looked over the unit again and found some things out about it.
It is equipped with a Varco 1045x cartridge, looks like the styli are replaceable just by loosening a screw.
It appears that the player was not used much or very hard, it's more dusty than anything.
When I first looked at it at the yard sale, I assumed that someone had cut off the power cord, but I found that they had unscrewed the panel with the speaker, amp and controls, lifted it and tucked it inside, the screws are missing!
I think that I'd prefer to switch the lamp cord plug wire with something more modern, like a plug in computer supply wire, so that mod will probably happen.
Have to replace the steel pin on the overarm, I found the remains of the original broken off and bent into a "U" shape under the turntable, took some force to do that! The overarm appears to be ok other than the rest of the pin needs to be removed to install another. I am working out a method to do this, I think I can grind a matching size drill bit to the correct size and contours, if a replacement can't be located.
Then there's the amplifier, the existing one does not have a PCB, it's all point to point soldering. To fix I think I'll start with capacitor replacement to see if that does it. Ideally I think I'd like to upgrade to a better quality, if I can find one to fit.
I really don't want to overdo/overthink the amplifier itself, just improve upon what is there quality wise.
Just a neat little project to listen to some 78 records.
Old 31st Mar 2021, 11:09 pm   #9
swampstomper
Triode

Hello again from Central Florida!
Not quite a Disney tour around the 'ol player but here are the first 5 pictures.
Thanks in advance for your collective wisdom and knowledge!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3312116.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	230633   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3312117.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	230634   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3312118.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	230635   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3312119.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	230636   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3312120.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	230637  

Old 31st Mar 2021, 11:10 pm   #10
swampstomper
Triode

Pictures 6-10...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P3312121.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	230638   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3312122.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	230639   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3312123.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	230640   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3312124.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	230641   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3312125.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	230642  

Old 31st Mar 2021, 11:13 pm   #11
swampstomper
Triode

Pictures 11-15...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P3312127.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	230643   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3312128.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	230644   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3312129.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	230645   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3312130.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	230646   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3312131.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	230647  

Old 31st Mar 2021, 11:15 pm   #12
swampstomper
Triode

Pictures 16-19...
If i need to retake any please let me know.
Thanks Again!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P3312132.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	230648   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3312135.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	230649   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3312137.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	230650   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3312138.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	230651  
Old 31st Mar 2021, 11:19 pm   #13
swampstomper
Triode

I know this was a low cost player originally, just based on what I know about electronics and such, probably aimed at the children's market. But I am led to believe that the UA25 is a solid unit worth reclaiming. What do you think?
Old 1st Apr 2021, 6:31 am   #14
Kentode
Octode

The first thing you can do is to identify the output valve and replace the anode to grid feed capacitor, this will prevent damage to the valve and output transformer.

I don't know your skillset/equipment level or your name, and I'm resisting the urge to call you Swampy so some background information will help us to pitch at the right level.

Hope this helps.

BVWS member
Old 1st Apr 2021, 9:00 am   #15
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

From what I cn see this looks like it has a very early Germaniun transistor amplifier.
Also, do be aware that the Varco cartridge fitted is not suitable for use on Stereo records.
Old 1st Apr 2021, 1:52 pm   #16
swampstomper
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentode View Post
The first thing you can do is to identify the output valve and replace the anode to grid feed capacitor, this will prevent damage to the valve and output transformer.

I don't know your skillset/equipment level or your name, and I'm resisting the urge to call you Swampy so some background information will help us to pitch at the right level.

Hope this helps.
Hi Ken, My name is Greg, swampstomper is a handle/nickname given to me by a high school friend back in the early seventies when CB radios were the thing. The handle is the result of having large feet (Size 16US/Size 50EU) and spending a lot of time exploring in Florida, which has a lot of swamps.
My Dad was a radio man in the Navy on a destroyer in the middle 50's, he taught me a lot/but generally not enough about electronics. He built (and I helped) a couple of Heathkit TV's, one black & white and one color with a remote and a couple of stereos. I meddle with a lot of things, so I think I have an above average skill set.
Old 1st Apr 2021, 2:02 pm   #17
swampstomper
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
From what I can see this looks like it has a very early Germanium transistor amplifier.
Also, do be aware that the Varco cartridge fitted is not suitable for use on Stereo records.
Thanks for that, not intentionally planning to play stereo records on it, this just want to listen to some 78's that I've recently acquired (1947 Inkspots Album) to evaluate them. I found this player at a yard sale for $4.00 and figured it is worth fixing and having some fun with. I like stuff like this and I think it would have been thrown away if I didn't take it.
I'm also planning to convert a much newer Technics turntable to play 78's so I can record them into my computer, clean them up, burn them to CD and listen to them through my Ipods. Moving through a bunch of different ages/technologies.
Old 1st Apr 2021, 4:23 pm   #18
Kentode
Octode

Hello Greg!

Your posts are currently being moderated and will take some time to appear, hence my post about valves.

It looks like some work has already been done, l can see a fresh capacitor and resistor, so it may be quite close to working.

Some resistance checks and a lamp limiter would be a good idea.

Both of these things can be searched for at the top of the page.

BVWS member
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 12:22 am   #19
swampstomper
Triode

The Service Manual for the UA25 arrived today, about 12 pages with diagrams and part descriptions. Time to do some reading and comparing.
Old 4th Apr 2021, 4:16 pm   #20
ben
Dekatron

Before wading in and changing anything, I would try powering it briefly to see 'what's what'.

At the very least I would expect the cartridge crystal to have absorbed moisture (especially given your location!) and give no output. The Voice of Music site should have something on sale with a near enough high output.
Before that, I would check the amp works. You will also have hardened grease to clear. Years ago, I made a brief youtube video on the 'UA15 setdown' which mentioned that, and which may be helpful to you.

Let us know how it goes and good luck.
Closed Thread