UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Apr 2021, 5:15 pm   #21
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: 1966 Phonomaster Diplomat suitcase record player w/BSR UA25 turntable

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampstomper View Post
I know this was a low cost player originally, just based on what I know about electronics and such, probably aimed at the children's market. But I am led to believe that the UA25 is a solid unit worth reclaiming. What do you think?
As far as BSR Autochangers are concerned, the UA25 is very much a budget unit and regarded by most as having a far more "value-engineered" build quality than the earlier BSR UA12, 14, 15 and 16 series. However, they are reliable and certainly worth saving and maybe using with a better amplifier and speaker. The tone arm is pre-wired for a stereo cartridge.
Old 5th Apr 2021, 3:15 pm   #22
swampstomper
Triode

Default Re: 1966 Phonomaster Diplomat suitcase record player w/BSR UA25 turntable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
Before wading in and changing anything, I would try powering it briefly to see 'what's what'.

At the very least I would expect the cartridge crystal to have absorbed moisture (especially given your location!) and give no output. The Voice of Music site should have something on sale with a near enough high output.
Before that, I would check the amp works. You will also have hardened grease to clear. Years ago, I made a brief youtube video on the 'UA15 setdown' which mentioned that, and which may be helpful to you.

Let us know how it goes and good luck.
Thank you Ben!
I have been looking this over and a lot of other information and frankly I have become overwhelmed!
All I have been able to accomplish is the disassembly for the above pictures. I have plugged it in and the turntable turns at all speeds, but no output sounds through the speaker, which at first made me think the amplifier might be the culprit.
Even though I haven't touched the unit to continue to try get it to work, I have been thinking about it and processing information(a lot to do for this tired brain! Also the fear of chasing this whole project down a costly rabbit hole!)
Somewhere I read something about ceramic cartridges going bad(may have been on of your posts) and have begun to think that the cartridge needs to be tested at minimum and replaced at maximum. So I'm just beginning to try and figure out what needs to be done to test the cartridge and where to get a replacement. Thank you for the above location to check!
Now to decipher your statement "a near enough high output" and match a cartridge to the unit!
Old 5th Apr 2021, 6:12 pm   #23
Station X

One post moved to a new thread here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=178575

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 5th Apr 2021, 6:37 pm   #24
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Before you confirm the condition of the cartridge, is the amplifier working?
You can test this by touching the pick-up input wires to the amplifier and see if you get a loud Buzz throught the speaker. By the way, it's CRYSTAL cartridges that tend to go "bad", not the later Ceramic types.
Old 6th Apr 2021, 12:42 am   #25
swampstomper
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
One post moved to a new thread here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=178575
Graham, I see that Hartley 118's post/thread sort of took a life of its own when he responded to my "Just Kidding about WD-40." Up to that point in the thread, I had just found this group and ALL of the WONDERFUL information available here. The day before I watched a video made by a fellow at Radio Workshop, he cleaned and was resurrecting a UA25 turntable by using quite a bit of WD-40. That was all of the information I had on hand at that time. I have my own opinion about WD-40 and am not going to use it on this project. I learned a long time ago about the inadequacies of the product and know from experience that is has gotten me out of a tight situation or two. So, please, Graham do not be mad at Hartley 118, thanks! I post this here because the "new thread" is closed.
Old 6th Apr 2021, 12:46 am   #26
swampstomper
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampstomper View Post
I know this was a low cost player originally, just based on what I know about electronics and such, probably aimed at the children's market. But I am led to believe that the UA25 is a solid unit worth reclaiming. What do you think?
As far as BSR Autochangers are concerned, the UA25 is very much a budget unit and regarded by most as having a far more "value-engineered" build quality than the earlier BSR UA12, 14, 15 and 16 series. However, they are reliable and certainly worth saving and maybe using with a better amplifier and speaker. The tone arm is pre-wired for a stereo cartridge.
I thought that might be the case and am tickled to know about the "other two wires" in the tonearm! I didn't recognize them until you pointed it out! Thanks!
Old 6th Apr 2021, 12:48 am   #27
swampstomper
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Before you confirm the condition of the cartridge, is the amplifier working?
You can test this by touching the pick-up input wires to the amplifier and see if you get a loud Buzz throught the speaker. By the way, it's CRYSTAL cartridges that tend to go "bad", not the later Ceramic types.
Please to know this little bit of information too! I will do this and check once I get some more time. Thanks!
Closed Thread