UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Nov 2015, 5:00 am   #1
PWH
Heptode

Default Corroded battery terminals

Probably everyone knows this already but I only found out by accident!

Put some white vinegar on a paper serviette, wipe the terminals watch it fizz for 10 seconds and its done. Wipe off excess vinegar.

Obviously it won't replace the eaten metal but it is electrically clean

Cheers.
Old 22nd Nov 2015, 8:05 am   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Corroded battery terminals

Yes, most small batteries use an alkaline electrolyte, so a chemically weak acid is a good thing to clean up the mess.

I find a solution of citric acid (available from pharmacies and shops that sell stuff for homebrewing beer -- I think I've even seen it in Wilko) smells nicer and works just as well.

After applying the acid and removing the corrosion I give it a good wash in clean water, dry it, and give it a final clean with propan-2-ol (isopropanol, whatever you call it)
Old 22nd Nov 2015, 9:23 am   #3
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Coke works well too. Vodka works as a spirit cleaner. The combination works as a relaxant.

Other brands etc work just as well, in moderation of course.
Old 22nd Nov 2015, 4:25 pm   #4
Rubberfingers
Pentode

Cillit Bang works quite well as well, the original in the purple bottle "Grime & Lime". Just cleaned up the corroded battery contacts of a neighbours doorbell. Wash off with water afterwards.
Old 22nd Nov 2015, 4:49 pm   #5
stevehertz
Dekatron

It's a perennial and controversial subject. There are many threads about it, I myself having posted on it a few weeks ago and some very interesting points were made. At the start, I was swayed towards using acid (or alkaline) as appropriate to neutralise the corrosion, whereas at the end of the thread I was/am now of the opinion that the best way is a purely mechanical approach with a touch of switch cleaner at the end for good measure. Read here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=119905
Old 23rd Nov 2015, 10:46 am   #6
rswanborough
Retired Dormant Member

I find that, if there is bad corrosion that has spilt across adjacent plastic, dribble some boiling water over the site. Works miracles on even the most severe battery corrosion.

Use vinegar/acid to finish the job.
Old 23rd Nov 2015, 1:48 pm   #7
Herald1360
Dekatron

Given that any plating will have gone too, it's worth a smear of silicone grease afterwards to deter further corrosion.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 24th Nov 2015, 9:19 am   #8
rswanborough
Retired Dormant Member

Further to my comment earlier, the boiling water treatment works very well when a lead/acid battery is involved, as in a car.
Closed Thread