UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Feb 2015, 11:20 pm   #1
greensleeves
Retired Dormant Member

Default Decca TP50 Speaker Problem

Has anyone found a good replacement speaker for the Decca TP50?

The best I have been able to find is a smaller (66mm) 64ohm one from eBay.
I've fitted an adapter made from thin mdf with a felt gasket so the speaker is sealed to the cabinet but the sound is a bit thin to say the least

I did consider modyfiing the output stage to work with a low impedance speaker which would be more readily available but don't really want to spoil the sets originality.

Any ideas?
Old 1st Mar 2015, 3:44 am   #2
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default Re: Decca TP50 Speaker Problem

Shame to spoil it with a poor speaker, they are good sounding sets with the original speaker. They of course suffer from case vibrations being lightly constructed.
What is wrong with the original speaker? is it beyond repair or capable of resurection?
I seem to have rebuilt a few recently with good results, as its a round one it could even be re-coned.
Closed Thread