UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Apr 2017, 11:23 am   #1
MadRikXIV
Retired Dormant Member

Default BSR Record Deck

Hi people, I picked this rather old and filthy deck up at a car boot sale for a pound.

Looking at a possible cabinet build with it cleaned up and taking pride of place on top.

I can see it's a BSR, that much is clear, underneath, can see the motor, power cable that assume plugged into something else originally for power as that's no UK 3 pin, and sound out jacks, well, one, and one missing.

Curious as to the easiest and safest way of powering this up, and seeing if it still spins.

Planning on putting it in a hopefully decent case with built in speakers via various parts salvaged from around the house (I have a pre amp handy from my not quite as old 80s Panasonic turntable).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170415_064806-1280x960.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	141005   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170415_064906-960x1280.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	141006  
Old 15th Apr 2017, 12:14 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: BSR Record Deck

Welcome to this Forum. This is a BSR UA6 autochanger from 1955. The cartridge will not be suitable for playing newer LPs. That's assuming it still works!
To power this up you will need to fit a 13A plug with a 3A fuse to the lead with the little 2 pin plug on it, which you will need to remove. Ensure you put insulation tape over any other bare ended wires.
We can deal with the pick-up wiring later. Have you experience of using these old autochangers so you can test its functions? To test use an old 45 or 78.
Old 15th Apr 2017, 2:08 pm   #3
wd40addict
Octode

This is the original version of the BSR UA6 used in record players such as the Pye Black Box and similar. In such players the mains was often supplied via the amplifier hence the small plug.

You refer to sound out jacks, but unless someone has rewired this deck and fitted a different cartridge it will be mono.

The motor support grommets on these tend to dissolve into goo so remove the turntable and check the condition of these and that the motor is free to turn before applying any power. Also ensure all cable insulation looks sound and earth the metalwork.

Special grommets are occasionally available, but standard grommets of the correct dimensions work fine.

Note the UA6 does not release pressure from the idler wheel when off so flats can develop leading to wow.

As a minimum you should initially power it via a RCCD and observe all normal precautions when dealing with mains electricity. See safety warnings elsewhere on this site.

Last edited by wd40addict; 15th Apr 2017 at 2:23 pm.
Old 15th Apr 2017, 2:32 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The cartridge looks to be the original Acos Hi-G type and will be mono only, probably tracking at c.8 grams.
Old 15th Apr 2017, 4:44 pm   #5
MadRikXIV
Retired Dormant Member

Cheers guys, I can see that the grommets are shot and just goo underneath, and a missing mount bolt on the motor.

The rest of the wiring looks solid and damage and corrosion free, apart from one plug missing on the stylus wires, probably left plugged into wherever it came from, which, I would look at replacing this for stereo output.maybe for stereo when I decide on my cabinet layout.

Fair bit of grime, and, wonder if it was used in a bird cage, there was a fair bit of 'Millet husks' under the turntable.

Last time I used a similar style deck would of been 35+ years ago when my dad 'converted' one into a condensed unit for me.

I will look at getting the motor secured, some grommets and see if it powers up before going further, everything seems to move ok, I can see the speed changer mechanism adjusting the height of the speed spindle on the rubber wheel, and the on off reject switch looks to work.
Old 15th Apr 2017, 5:36 pm   #6
llama
Octode

An old trick to try out turntables when you don't have a suitable plinth to hand is to balance it on 3 Coke (or similar) cans with the transit screws going into the top hole.
But that's a little way down the line with those motor rubbers needing attention.
Graham
Old 15th Apr 2017, 5:51 pm   #7
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

There was only ever one output plug/jack fitted to this as it is not designed as a stereo turntable - it was at least 3 years too early.
To convert it, you need a new stereo cartridge, then re-wire the tone arm for 4 signal wires and then to 2 output leads if you want to use it for stereo.
The tone arm on these was never designed for stereo use. Edward
Old 15th Apr 2017, 8:00 pm   #8
AC/HL
Dekatron

It looks like a wander plug. Quite probably it went into the pickup sockets of the original radiogram chassis, where as Rik says, its twin remained. You'll need to replace it with whatever your preamp takes at some stage.
Old 21st Apr 2017, 10:37 am   #9
MadRikXIV
Retired Dormant Member

Well I'm pleased to say the motor still runs once I put removed the grommets and checked replaced the plug.

I just need to fix the space between the idler drive and motor.

The idler sits to high at the moment/motor sits too low to make contact with all 3 speeds.

Been trying to find a picture of the motor/idler plate is mounted to the underside, but just can't find the angle that shows how.

Have metal spacers and currently going with from above: screw, washer, grommet, spacer tube in the motor holes, with the attached plate screwing to the base of the turntable via the 3 screws.

Think I need another spacer grommet after the washer, as tricky to tell how thick the originals where due to them being stuck to the top of the motor and the plate.
Old 21st Apr 2017, 11:51 am   #10
regentone001
Heptode

There are two grub screws on the 3 speed motor pulley on this deck. Once loosened the pulley can be moved into the correct position for the idler to get the 3 speeds. Then tighten the grub screws again.
Old 22nd Apr 2017, 5:04 am   #11
julie_m
Dekatron

Get it as near as you can by adding more rubber grommets and washers, before you adjust the pulley on the motor spindle.
Old 22nd Apr 2017, 7:17 am   #12
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

The original grommets had conical extensions on top, so the motor will sit lower on standard grommets. As Julie suggests, building them up will correct this. Personally, I'd mould extensions onto them using polyurethane, which is excellent at damping vibration.
Old 22nd Apr 2017, 8:52 am   #13
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

A very well made and reliable record changer. Not suitable for use with 'modern' light weight pick ups of course but for general mono use 33/45 and 78 a classic gem and it WON'T damage your records! Hats off to BSR! John.
Old 22nd Apr 2017, 9:31 am   #14
regentone001
Heptode

Years ago I put a G800 cartridge in one of these and despite my mates negativity and it won't work attitude, it worked extremely well.
Old 26th Apr 2017, 2:19 pm   #15
MadRikXIV
Retired Dormant Member

Cheers guys, I padded it out with more Grommets, as was impossible to see the the thickness on the originals, and it selects the speeds as it should.

Need a replacement spring for the idler drive so when changing up it does move every time as the spring is a little soft now.

I do have a cartridge with stylus and outputs, which I removed from a broken Sony deck, planning on comparing cartridge weight and see if I can balance it in the arm.
Old 26th Apr 2017, 5:51 pm   #16
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

What type of Sony cartridge is it? If it's stereo, you will need to rewire the arm or bridge the channels on it and use the 2 wires already in the arm. If it's a magnetic type of cartridge you will need to check the input sensitivity of the amplifier you are using. The BSR arm was not designed for stereo use. Also try shortening that spring on the idler drive.
Old 1st May 2017, 4:09 pm   #17
MadRikXIV
Retired Dormant Member

Hi guys, it's a modern stereo tone arm, cartridge and needle.

Removing the cartridge from the arm, and making it the same weight as the other one, a bit of hot glue to the old mounting bracket and it fits inside the arm.

Downside is, after giving the underside a clean up, checking the motor for any dirt, the motor now ceases to function, checked the solder points on the switch, fuse, even out the switch wires together but nothing.

Currently swearing at it as had everything wired, but now no motor.
Closed Thread