UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Apr 2017, 4:40 am   #1
injektilo001
Retired Dormant Member

Default Unknown zener

I'm Jean Paul from Chile, new to the forum, and a begginer medium to electronics
I'm trying to repair a vintage transistor GRUNDIG all transistor Stereo RF3601
Well, the radio has no sound at all. Just a working bulb on the panel.
To make it short, i figured out on the power supply stage, a ZENER diode that is shorted, just after de bridge rectifier.
I suppose the voltage of this zener is 12V, cause on the schematics says 12V as a testing point, on each side of the zener. I had a hard time taking it out, cause the diode is screwed to a metal chasis wich act as the anode and this was soldered to the PCB. The diode says NT-9866A but i can't find any info on the net.
Another question, if this Diode is shorted, what could be the reason? and what can also be damaged if this was shorted?
I'm attaching pics of the diode and part of the schematics, sorry for the bad english
THANKS TO ALL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170424_231913.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	141490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sin título.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	141491   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grundig.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	141516  

Last edited by AC/HL; 25th Apr 2017 at 12:20 pm. Reason: Copyright material removed
Old 25th Apr 2017, 5:00 pm   #2
jonnybear
Octode

Default Re: Unknown zener

The AD162 may be worth checking as well for collector base short, also the feed resistor to the collector of the AD162. a 1N1353A is a 12 volt 10 watt zener if that is any help. how are you checking the zenner? I would check it with a analogue meter on ohms range.
John

Last edited by jonnybear; 25th Apr 2017 at 5:22 pm.
Old 26th Apr 2017, 12:25 pm   #3
Silicon
Nonode

You can estimate the power dissipated in the zener diode by using the resistor values and voltages shown on the schematic.

The extract of the schematic is difficult to read.
One of the resistors has 21.5 Volts on one side and 12V on the other.

You can calculate the current going through it and estimate the power dissipated in the zener.

You could try a 5Watt 12V zener such as the 1N5349B.
Old 27th Apr 2017, 12:59 pm   #4
injektilo001
Retired Dormant Member

Hi, because of work and babies, i haven't been able to try your suggestions, but here's a link to better schematics

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w1eiah4yfh...F3601.rar?dl=0

Thanks to all
Old 2nd May 2017, 2:34 pm   #5
injektilo001
Retired Dormant Member

Hello.

Thanks to all for your answers.
The Grundig RF3601 is working, well, at least i can get sound of it.
The thing was this unkown zener, when I took it away, I didn't check the radio status.
But later I did, and it was working, yes, in that 12v (as the schematics says) spot where the zener goes, it reads 19v of course. But everything else works in the electronics.
Just few scratchy pots, the MONO button that doesn't stay pressed and the cord tuning system is all messed up.
One question, the place where the cord touches the tuning AXIS is just metal, and it doesn't grip at all when i turn the knob. i thing some rubber thing must be missing, cause where the cord turns and touches the axis gets thinner, and it looks like something could go around there, don't know.
any suggestions for good grip?
THANKS AGAIN
Old 3rd May 2017, 9:38 am   #6
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

The thinner part of the drive shaft is so that the cord does not wind off the end. There should be about four turns around the shaft at this point. When turned the cord will wind to the side and then slip down to the centre. You obviously need some tension in the cord.
Closed Thread